User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #7666
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Thanks for the fast replay Blue!

I read your post about the low gravity center! I want it! Where can I buy one Low-Gravity-Center for my bike please!

About the swingarm! I feel a lot of bending on motorway curves (swingarm and wheel bearings are usually in shape).
You want to say that it goes away if I change the suspension only?
Maybe Sr43 has better swingarm than sr 42 (I have sr42)?

And I want to doublecheck. The forks travel is right for my bike? But I need new springs for the right weight. Tuning by someone (hessler) is still needed or not?

About the rear spring? I just need one that carries more weight right?

Blue! You gave me hope.
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #7667
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Rear swingarm on SR43 just a LITTLE bit beefier. If you feel it bending - you feeling forks bending I think and mistake it for swingarm you Nm on your rear axle nut is below 80. I think. I mean - on asphalt my SR43 hadles like older sportbike, no flex. But when I had stock forks and tried to put Supermoto wheels -my God, it was all like spaghetti :) until I changed forks. Take into account that 96-98 hard enduro bike still did not have stiff swingarm, it is no sportbike, Berg swingarm is tiny and aluminium does not equal stiffeness. It equals weight.

The travel of forks VERY easy to check when it is not USD forks.
Put forks on bike, loosen clamps, mark current position, slide forks up until wheel touches frame, see result, measure it.

On SR43 250 mm is right travel, on SR42 FOR SURE it is more. So, 260 + 20 mm =280. But better to try. Easy to do.

Rear spring - totally correct, nothing to add.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #7668
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,804
Tony T,

I have a 750 rack. It has some damage as per page 510, but not as bad. I'll take some picks and post them later. But you can have it, just cover the postage costs. It's in my shed gathering dust.

Bare in mind, I sent a rack out to Robmoto, it took the best part of 3 months (surface mail) and cost the best part of 60 to post.

So, there you go. If you know someone who can weld aluminium...........

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #7669
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Thanks a lot for the offer, Megamoto. But think for 3 months and 60 quid I might look at building something myself.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #7670
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
These bits are for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUZUKI-DR-750...item3a5cf349a2
Anyone over there interested? The seller won't sell outside the UK, but I want the rack.
If anyone over there wants the rest, I'm happy to buy the rack off you.
Tony,
both DR750's I've rebuilt have had a crack in the carrier. I just got them welded and then painted. If you don't wish to paint it you can just file the weld, sand it then polish the whole rack. It cost me $10 to have the crack welded.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #7671
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Thanks for that. Yeah, I'll get it welded, but I'd also like to look at making something else to incorporate the pushbike pannier bags that I use.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #7672
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
Tony,
both DR750's I've rebuilt have had a crack in the carrier. I just got them welded and then painted. If you don't wish to paint it you can just file the weld, sand it then polish the whole rack. It cost me $10 to have the crack welded.
Cheers.
I was going to say.... just have it welded, I've had both sides of mine done, and havn't paid for it, but I have a tame welder to call on
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #7673
Berg2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
So Shannon getting my DR750 but i still have one Left for Sale. $2750 Firm and needs a battery.
So why am i doing this, LOOK AT THIS BABY XTZ750!! Just have to redo the Front Brake lines, and away we go.
Comes with Tons of spares and a TRX850 Motor

Berg2 screwed with this post 07-19-2010 at 04:24 AM
Berg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #7674
Berg2
Adventurer

Here's another Pic of the Bike $2750.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #7675
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I am just back from Tenere/DR owners meeting.
I mean - all bikes were welcome, but organised by Tenere Club.
Bluesman! I didn't make it, as you may or may not have noticed. When I pulled onto the highway early saturday morning, the DR started surging/coughing at speeds over 110km/h and wouldn't accept more than half throttle.

I carried on for a while, but decided that it wasn't worth melting my piston with a suspected lean mixture and turned around, thoroughly p*ssed off The carbs are worse than I thought. Hoping to rebuild them soon.

Berg2: Dude, sweet.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #7676
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg2
So Shannon getting my DR750 but i still have one Left for Sale. $2750 Firm and needs a battery.
So why am i doing this, LOOK AT THIS BABY XTZ750!! Just have to redo the Front Brake lines, and away we go.
Comes with Tons of spares and a TRX850 Motor
Since it looks like properly offroad prepared S10 I recommend you to reinforce frame in this well-known spot where they brake. You may get lucky and have one that won't break, but on recent S10 meeting I saw 2 S10s with 850 motor which were ridden offroad and one had second frame already cracking, another had it once. And obviously I saw at least 20-30 reports on that problem.
I have been told that 850 conversions specificaly prone to that.
I seen at least 2 reports on this site. Just google "supertenere frame crack" and you will find more details.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:44 AM   #7677
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLK
Bluesman! I didn't make it, as you may or may not have noticed. When I pulled onto the highway early saturday morning, the DR started surging/coughing at speeds over 110km/h and wouldn't accept more than half throttle.

I carried on for a while, but decided that it wasn't worth melting my piston with a suspected lean mixture and turned around, thoroughly p*ssed off The carbs are worse than I thought. Hoping to rebuild them soon.

Berg2: Dude, sweet.
Yep, guy from allroadmaniacs who rides AfricaTwin told me that you have sent SMS to someone that you broke down on the way from Netherlands...bad luck :(
You still welcome to come see my bike any time - do not feel down about it, once you over all required overhauling - believe me, DR will go for hundreds and thousands kms without problem!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #7678
Berg2
Adventurer

Quote:
Since it looks like properly offroad prepared S10 I recommend you to reinforce frame in this well-known spot where they brake. You may get lucky and have one that won't break, but on recent S10 meeting I saw 2 S10s with 850 motor which were ridden offroad and one had second frame already cracking, another had it once. And obviously I saw at least 20-30 reports on that problem.
I have been told that 850 conversions specificaly prone to that.
I seen at least 2 reports on this site. Just google "supertenere frame crack" and you will find more details.
Thanks for the heads up Bluesman, the frame has been supported and the bike has been fully rebuilt.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #7679
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

then it is indeed VERY good find! Just crashbars - and ready to go! And so clean...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #7680
Berg2
Adventurer

Quote:
then it is indeed VERY good find! Just crashbars - and ready to go! And so clean...
Crash Bars are a Must, who makes the best ones ??