Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #8266
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
Spen If you do the big to the same detail as the yamaha it will be worth it, I wonder is all that rust because of the salted roads or salt air its a BIG job
Nice work on the 500 .

Did I see the full f word on here wow .
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #8267
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 332
Yeah i saw it to , i may say it now and again but i try not to use it in public or on a public forum .I"m not planning a full as new rebuild but rather a real good tidy up i spent alot of money on the 500 and then didn"t want to use it much and ended up selling it but i want to use the big next summer for a bit of touring.Any one with any ideas on engine paint or anything else will be much appreciated ,I always like to hear other opinions so if you"ve rebuilt one of these i"m open to suggestions.I did a tidy up on my XT550 a few years back more pics

spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #8268
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 345
This is the second time in 20 years I've restored my DR650. It still looks nice after all this time, but eventually, I want to strip it down, repaint the frame, maybe black, get an extra seat and black cover, black forkboots, paint the fender end black, and just go with a look that's more early 80's like the 1983 XT bikes were.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #8269
spen
on my arse

Looks good
Old 10-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #8270
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Spen I use VHT engine enamel from our local Repco car shop,I think its made in America the heat from the motor does the baking for you so it resists petrol when baked. it is fairly brittle and hard.
I had a small ride on a honda dominator today it was like a bag of puss so I am glad I haven,t bought one for a resto even though they look good.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #8271
spen
on my arse

I"ve owned around 4 dominators not a bad bike ,Depends what your after .I was looking a paint to match the original Suzuki grey on the engine can"t see one anywhere .Does anybody sell a stainless engine bolt kit for these to replace the bolts on the side and crankcases?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #8272
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

I got my SS bolt kit off ebay. I bought it about 6 years ago. The bummer is, now they have one with the case bolts, valve cover bolts, headers and more. Mine was just cases and filter at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen
Does anybody sell a stainless engine bolt kit for these to replace the bolts on the side and crankcases?

SBG screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 09:18 AM
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #8273
snocross
carbikesledboatrockaholic

Oddometer: 69
Hey Guys!!!!

I was a week ago 150 pages behind this thread. Right now just 100 pages

It looks like you have had a busy half a year... well.... must continue reading!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #8274
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG
I got my SS bolt kit off ebay. I bought it about 6 years ago. The bummer is, now they have one with the case bolts, valve cover bolts, headers and more. Mine was just cases and filter at the time.
Do you have a link to the retailer there SBG ? I like your 650 too, very tidy, just a little bit underpowered

I put new clutch plates in, and gave the steel plates a good clean and a light rough up with some emery cloth...man, what a different bike I better go and it now
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #8275
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Mark I looked at your pics in your album the 650 its a very nice bike the one you own, I allso own one with 45k on the clock and still going strong, I use as a nock arround bike in the scrub mainly as I have not done any paint work on it yet but keep it mechanically maintained.
It could do with a spring upgrade as I see yours sits fairly high, I wreckon there a great bike .
Old 10-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #8276
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
Do you have a link to the retailer there SBG ? I like your 650 too, very tidy, just a little bit underpowered
Here's the EBAY link for SS bolts for my bike, but they also have the newer 650 listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...Q5fAccessories

Now, here is the dealers name on EBAY. They might be able to help you out: http://myworld.ebay.com/stainlesscycle/

Maybe one of the other kits might work, OR, let them know what bike it is, and maybe they could put one together for you. Sometimes, a place like this needs even one order to look into it, and once they do one kit, they list it. Just need to know if there's a market. Unfortunately, those BIG's never sold in the US.

As far as underpowered, I never noticed.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #8277
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Mark I looked at your pics in your album the 650 its a very nice bike the one you own.
It could do with a spring upgrade as I see yours sits fairly high, I wreckon there a great bike .
Thanks for the compliment, my DR thanx you too.

Funny you mention springs, I still have my spare set of NOS forks in pieces on my bench ready for the heavier rate springs and Racetech emulators. I'm surprised mine sits this high after 20 years. Then again, I finally just went over 8500 on my odo.

I'm probably going to send the shock out for some work this winter and get a heavier rate spring with that too.

I love this bike, even though the worn 606's make the front end handle odd. Replacements due before next riding season. I'm thinking Metzeler Saharas. I love leaning into corners probably a bit harder than an off road knobby is made for.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #8278
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Just started reading through the BIG pages, and maybe someone answered, but I have the same rear fender as your front only in blue which is 2003 YZ era style rear fender. Looks decent on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nave

see if you can find out from what fender I have made it from?

and when going offroad...

g

some BIG(800) change...

Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #8279
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Someone near/in California?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-PAL...#ht_5018wt_822

Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #8280
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,861
Yep, that'd be me, Ed.....but why do I want all this crap? Did you see something buried in there that I didn't?
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote