Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #8311
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
So, Rob, are you finding the airbox necessary or does the bike like the pods.

I would dearly love to find some type of cleanable foam system for my bike but am reluctant to remove the box because we still do the occasional creek crossing.

I have to find a way to duplicate Nave's machined air box adapter on the cheap.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #8312
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Well I have fitted some different pod filters same brand but with better filtering foam than the ones I installed previous,these allso have a looks like neoprene rubber neck 55mm inside dia, 80mm outside dia, I had to cut one of the filter necks to allow it to overlap 6mm.
that is one sweet bike!
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #8313
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
Had my SR43 do an indicated 170kph last weekend, hell was it screaming !!!! Poor old girl and its done in excess of 129000km
I saw 175kph twice, once on the race track and once on the Road

And 170 on the Beach

Great bikes and Im regreting selling mine (and will probable try to buy it back at some stage (though I have no room for it at home)

It has been interesting for me to own a more modern bike to compare and it has highlighted the strengths and weakness of the Bigs for me

If you guys are interested I could list them

PS, I guess this is my official notice off my defections though I hope I am still welcome here

I will I think ride again as per my name sake its just a phase Im going through

I think my next one will be Red and have Hesslar Micuni Carbs

MCmad screwed with this post 10-17-2010 at 12:08 PM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #8314
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
I saw 175kph twice, once on the race track and once on the Road

And 170 on the Beach

Great bikes and Im regreting selling mine (and will probable try to buy it back at some stage (though I have no room for it at home)

It has been interesting for me to own a more modern bike to compare and it has highlighted the strengths and weakness of the Bigs for me

If you guys are interested I could list them

PS, I guess this is my official notice off my defections though I hope I am still welcome here

I will I think ride again as per my name sake its just a phase Im going through
please list them if you dont mind
Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #8315
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
please list them if you dont mind
Cool

My first comment would be that its such a pity that Suzuki doesn't see fit to still make Bigs new as my Biggest issue is that I work a lot so I don't have to much tinkering time, which a Big will require simple because of its age,
Mine was not unreliable but was just plague with the normal issues of being old and in hind site I should have payed someone else to fix the little issues for me

PS, just a little tantalizer, the Big was the best bike Ive ever ridden on metal or gravel roads (sorry Katie (KTM) due to its balance both in Chassis and engine power and delivery and it had enough torque to break the wheel free just the right amount for sliding and enough length to hold the slide

so far I have failed to achieve this sort of thing on the KTM, my last try it wheel spun up the road like some sort of lunatic unable to find any sort of traction at all (I haven't got the throttle control thing sorted yet )

I will have to get back to the rest of this later as work calls again

MCmad screwed with this post 10-17-2010 at 12:57 PM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #8316
pikeman59
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Braides brake lines?

Is there a big difference between the standard front brake line and a braided brake line? I am thinking of upgrading my Big this winter.

I changed the front brake on my Triumph some years ago and to be honest
I did not see much difference in efficiency, only better feeling so to speak.
pikeman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #8317
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Cool

My first comment would be that its such a pity that Suzuki doesn't see fit to still make Bigs new as my Biggest issue is that I work a lot so I don't have to much tinkering time, which a Big will require simple because of its age,
Mine was not unreliable but was just plague with the normal issues of being old and in hind site I should have payed someone else to fix the little issues for me

PS, just a little tantalizer, the Big was the best bike Ive ever ridden on metal or gravel roads (sorry Katie (KTM) due to its balance both in Chassis and engine power and delivery and it had enough torque to break the wheel free just the right amount for sliding and enough length to hold the slide

so far I have failed to achieve this sort of thing on the KTM, my last try it wheel spun up the road like some sort of lunatic unable to find any sort of traction at all (I haven't got the throttle control thing sorted yet )

I will have to get back to the rest of this later as work calls again
thank you! I am very intrigued by the DR Big and two years ago I had a chance to purchase one from a gentleman that was stationed in Germany and had it shipped back to Arizona USA, but it was unregistered and was afraid I would not be able to register it here and might have problems getting parts for it. but I thought about it for one day and had decided to seriously look at it but it was too late he had sold it. so I decided to settle for the Baby DR 650.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #8318
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Rubbin salt in it?

Was it this one?

It's very happily running on the left coast of California now......with legal registration.

Glad you passed it up. I'd been waiting years for one since I passed one up on eBay about 5 years ago.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #8319
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Was it this one?

It's very happily running on the left coast of California now......with legal registration.

Glad you passed it up. I'd been waiting years for one since I passed one up on eBay about 5 years ago.

Like your style Ladder106
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #8320
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 338
Best way to upgrade the front brake is to dump the poor master cylinder and go for a Suzuki bandit one which will fit straight on 600 or 1200 doesnt matter and gives you an adjustable lever and a 10 times better brake.The brake line will help but if the master cyclinder is poor then its a waste of money.
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #8321
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
800 rider, what you sold your big shame on you

Ladder 106,Ray the pods do make my 800 perform better than the box and a standard filter with the side cut from the filter,but remember I am running mikuni tm pumpers mechanical lift, so vacume to open the slides is not needed like CV carbs so you should retain your air box.
You could do this set up maybe as I have been going to do this but havn,t yet myself.
remove paper filter
seel of the triangle hole using some alluminium etc using existing 3 screws
remove battery and get one of those small powerfull ones and fit it to a small box mouted on the left side above the wheel using maybe the helmet holder bracket etc
a dr 650 foam cleaner or similiar just fits width ways where the battery was
now cut a hole in the back of the box to suit but leave a piece running through the centre to support the centre bolt and wing nut.
extend the battery cables
sounds good to me brother
OK what I have done this arvo is recallobrate my acewell speedo by measureing the front overall tyre DIA and multiplying it by 3.1416 which equalls 1860 and put this info into the speedo .
This is what they say to do must be the circumfrance , I am running 16 front sprocket and rear 48.
I have changed main jets to 130,s
The result is 167kph and the maximum revs going through the gears at some stage of the thrash not at 167 ok,

Now tomorrow I will do the same run again but with the standard 15 tooth front sprocket using the speedo to see if any gain or loss has been achieved .
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #8322
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Ray I did note that when riding the orange 750 it went to 6500/6600rpm with standard gearing and new trailwing rear tyre, this was reading the standard suzuki tacho in top gear.

Just for dr owners, my 2008 dr 650 reads 108 kph when the zumo reads 100kph.
my orange 750 reads 106 kph when the merridian gps reads 100kph,
so suzuki may exagerate a little .

robmoto screwed with this post 10-18-2010 at 06:59 AM
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #8323
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
800 rider, what you sold your big shame on you

Ladder 106,Ray the pods do make my 800 perform better than the box and a standard filter with the side cut from the filter,but remember I am running mikuni tm pumpers mechanical lift, so vacume to open the slides is not needed like CV carbs so you should retain your air box.
You could do this set up maybe as I have been going to do this but havn,t yet myself.
remove paper filter
seel of the triangle hole using some alluminium etc using existing 3 screws
remove battery and get one of those small powerfull ones and fit it to a small box mouted on the left side above the wheel using maybe the helmet holder bracket etc
a dr 650 foam cleaner or similiar just fits width ways where the battery was
now cut a hole in the back of the box to suit but leave a piece running through the centre to support the centre bolt and wing nut.
extend the battery cables
sounds good to me brother
OK what I have done this arvo is recallobrate my acewell speedo by measureing the front overall tyre DIA and multiplying it by 3.1416 which equalls 1860 and put this info into the speedo .
This is what they say to do must be the circumfrance , I am running 16 front sprocket and rear 48.
I have changed main jets to 130,s
The result is 167kph and the maximum revs going through the gears at some stage of the thrash not at 167 ok,

Now tomorrow I will do the same run again but with the standard 15 tooth front sprocket using the speedo to see if any gain or loss has been achieved .

I had the same experience with pods on my 750. It was going mental above 6000 revs with +10 on the main jets and slightly more free exhaust. No loss at low revs whatsoever. However, my pods (KN) where not fitted directly on the carbs, but through two 10cm snorkels. I had seen 185km/hr on the standard speedo but the bike had more if the rev limiter hadn't kicked in.
I think the dual small carb setup is less sensitive to airbox than a single larger carb.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #8324
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 338
Quick update . engine painted and in, going to order some new bits this week and get the rear swinging arm in.The choke had seized in place so i had to drill it out and order the new bits

spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #8325
MonstaBlokaz
DR800 User

Oddometer: 78
WOW, the engine looks awesome