Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #826
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
the seal was sure that dinosaurs extinct...
got to take the wife and kids to new zeland!
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #827
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
looks like the Dominator's been eating the mighty DR's roost all day.
cool photos mate
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #828
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
and when we see your scenic photo's we want to get our DR's over there
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 AM   #829
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
Be careful its a bit like hotel california here but if you did want to Be sure we;d look after you,

Dino, yer the Domi sure copped some Roost
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #830
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
visiting Australia and New Zeland is a must for me!
I have been traveling quite alot (mostly in my 20's) but that part of the world is still a dream.
Yet, a much more realistic dream then the one of racing the Dakar

any way- yesturday we went to visit the grandfather and i took the bike with us...
again, no camera but the cellphone...
if you look hard beyond Mayas pink helmet- can will be able to see Israel only mountain with snow...
we had yesturday 34 Celsius (in the shade) so you can choose going to the sea or going skiing, anyway you'l get suntanning...
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #831
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,159
Just got back from the 300-mile round trip to pick up the DR. I'll post some impressions later, but the good far outweighs the bad, and I think I made the right choice . I can see me owning this bike for a long time, and that's unusual for me.

Weather was awful - snow, hail, rain, and dangerously high winds on the motorway (bad enough to make you counter-steer for miles on end, just to stay vertical). I cut onto back roads for the final 30 miles, which was way better.

I'm sooooo tired, see 3rd pic

Some pics when I had the chance:

IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #832
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Ray,

Here's hoping the new machine surpasses your expectations
Cheers
IBA #40578

Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #833
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
River Crossing on way , One my Fav picts and signature , I was trying to do the water surfing thing but probably needed to go faster as 80kph is probable not fast enough, maybe if I can grow some corage ill try 100kph next time
Very cool pic
IBA #40578

Old 03-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #834
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

OK, and fwiw .

I'm coming to the DRBig hoping it will be a half-way house between the BMW 650GS and the Yamaha Super Tenere. I liked the torque and flick-a-bility of the BMW, but I didn't like BMW service and parts cost. I liked the high-speed capability of the Yamaha and it's free-revving nature, but I didn't like the lack of low-down grunt and the weight.

So I'm thinking the DRBig has some of the elements of the GS (but with better motorway manners and a bigger tank), and some elements of the Super Ten (but with more punch and a lower centre of gravity).

And I think that's pretty much what I got .

The engine seems to like revs - it's not that it won't shove (because it will), it just seems happier at 5000rpm and higher. But that stop-and-corner torque is still there. Though, due to the brakes, there's more go than stop (more later..). At a standstill the exhaust sounds like a tug-boat, rising to a staccato thump/thrum once you're in the higher parts of the rev range. My friend said it sounded like a WWII fighter when it came past his car.

The chassis is more nimble than I expected. Left/Right switches were fun, though I'm not sure how far I can trust the Conti Escapes. I've never used them before, they seemed to twitch in the wet. Weather was horrible though, so maybe I need more time with them. The renthal bars (640s, I think) are good; slightly back to the rider and wide, which makes turning and cornering a treat.

The front suspension feels great - the previous owner has fitted hyperpro springs. Really soaks the bumps up. The back seems a little flat though. The shock looks like it needs a refurb and it feels like most of the damping is gone. Not a big problem if you're a 6'3", 180lb rider. Bit of a pain if you're 5'9", 220lb rider (ie. me). I need to get that sorted out.

The brakes? OMG, truly poor. The Super Ten had lacklustre brakes that could partly be improved with braided-lines and a healthy pair of forks, but the DRBig has less power and even less feel. Unless you count spongy as a feeling of some sort. Like bluesman, I could feel the forks twisting under heavy breaking. Even at low speed, the bike takes time to settle after breaking to a stop.

Seriously, if I were a new rider the brakes would scare me off completely . But I guess a 16-year old bike isn't what new riders will buy anyway

A word about the cosmetics. I love 'em, I think the DRBig looks like a robot basking shark, some kind of Transformers meets Jaws ugly/beautiful overlanding bike. My g/f says it looks like a duck; like a duck wearing a top hat .

Ah well, she's beautiful to me

I really like the DRBig. And my g/f, obviously.
IBA #40578

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 03-13-2009 at 07:13 AM
Old 03-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #835
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Ahm....you sure anout KLE500 forks? They are horrible and soft like spaghetti and brakes are one of worst dualsport brakes I ever tried.
If you meant KLX650 then forks are OK, but brakes just offroad brakes.
If you want to upgrade DR750 forks easiest way to install KLX upside-downs. As for brakes - as you saw in tread I went through few upgrades, and only stock 4-piston caliper that will clear spokes on DR wheel really is Gilera Nordwest RC600 Grimeca caliper. Otherwise - as you saw I bought uber-powerful supermoto Braking 4 piston caliper and for stock or other DR forks it's perfect - just need adapter, but since it did not fit my WP Extremes well I put it up on sale and ordered Beringer 4-piston supermoto caliper and can confirm that Beringer as well fit DR forks with simple adapter. BTW you can fit easily Africa Twin forks and brakes. You will need AT front wheel, forks, brakes and tripple tree from DR800 SR43.
Of course you may as well just put in SR43 stock front - 43 mm forks, simple rod forks but for some reason I was totally happy with their performance (except hard braking with luggage and passenger on German autbahns, I can feel them twisting).
So - do not go KLE if you want it better and not worse :)
Well, never tried KLE, so I have no experiment...what I know, that KLE500 forks are 41mm, has long suspension travel, 21" wheel and 300mm brake. Also can be adjusted by air-pressure. Second option is Transalp forks, but it is more expensive.
The problem is, that no other brake dics with bigger diameter could be fitted on SR41. Probably I will get somebody to make a bigger dics for my wheel and also adapter for the calipper.
So you say that I can put SR43 front into DR750? Will it fit - what is what you call it triple tree?
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #836
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oh, and the seat height: I needn't have worried. I can't flat-foot the bike, but when do you ever flat-foot a bike anyway? I balance with the left foot, and leave the rightfoot covering the back brake.

865mm on the S10 and 890mm on the DRBig. I didn't feel any difference tbh. Slim tank and forward-sloping seat - you can ride either of 'em.

IBA #40578

Old 03-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #837
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,275
Well, first of all - congratulations on new bike!

Brakes....we been through that. Now you can see how scared I was coming from Hornets/VTRs kind :) And now you see why I embarked on journey to get that upgrade. Now I am there - it is only matter of final step, and I am done. I have put my "uberpowerful" Braking caliper that did not fit WP forks on eBay and couple of days ago installed less powerfull but still good Beringer on as it fits straight to WP extreme.
DR definitely is a bit of misconception - most people think it is really low-revving sump of metal, but in fact it is 2-kind of motor in one. Exactly same as VTR I have - simple and big torque low down, but slow revving. Until (on DR) you hit 4000. Then it superresponsive. Flatslide pumper carbs change it - it will be superresponsive everywhere.
One thing...I think your rear shock might be also incorrectly set up preload-wise. Why I think so - because you can flat-foot your DR. Earlier in this tread I posted factory settings for preload - check it up.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #838
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okta
Well, never tried KLE, so I have no experiment...what I know, that KLE500 forks are 41mm, has long suspension travel, 21" wheel and 300mm brake. Also can be adjusted by air-pressure. Second option is Transalp forks, but it is more expensive.
The problem is, that no other brake dics with bigger diameter could be fitted on SR41. Probably I will get somebody to make a bigger dics for my wheel and also adapter for the calipper.
So you say that I can put SR43 front into DR750? Will it fit - what is what you call it triple tree?
Whole front from DR800 SR43 will fit front of SR41 and 42 quite easily.
KLE forks work worse than SR41 and SR42 and MUCH worse than SR43. They have only 220 mm travel, they dive like hell under brakes no matter how you pump in air into them and they use technology/system that is extinct in front forks for many years :) Last bike I had that had that type of forks was VT250F from 1988 :)
You can get set of SR43 forks quite easily. Actually I even have spare front hub (without brake disk) from SR43 that I totally do not need. I have rim too and most of spokes, but rim is a bit dented. If you need it - you can have it for free...except postage I guess. But better is to look for complete set on eBay, it will be cheaper all together than pieces.
Africa Twin forks will fit into SR43 tripple tree. Also possibility.
KLX650 upside-down + larger brake disk - why not? Those are cheap on German eBay and as Mousitas mentioned fit DR without any major mods at all, even same bearings.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #839
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Now thats cheap :-)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Telegabel-Vorderr...ayphotohosting
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #840
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Ah! I have question to you too! Need advice...since I am not Belgian sometimes it is difficult to find my way around.
I have laced front wheel to 17 inch finally back using Husaberh hub, I have alinged spacers etc. etc., put it all together and I must admit that I have no strenght left and very much fed up with truing that wheel - radial and lateral play adjustment. Do you know place/shop in Belgium that I can bring that wheel to and get it all aligned and set up spokes tension etc.? I really do not even know where too look :( and today's work on house in combination with 6 hours of trying to get wheel right killed my enthusiasm - last time I trued spoked wheel was about 10 years ago. I gave up and willing to pay but have no idea where or how...may be you know place?