User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #856
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,829
Yet another starting question.

I started my 750 this morning with the lights on and noticed that as I engaged the comp release the Hi-Beam indicator briefly flashed.

Is this normal or do I have a wire or two crossed somewhere?

I'd assume this is onl for bikes with the manual comp release. The bike starts easily and runs fine the flash was just kinda odd.

......also.....

Do we see any design "rip-off" here??

Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #857
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
I started my 750 this morning with the lights on and noticed that as I engaged the comp release the Hi-Beam indicator briefly flashed.

I'd assume this is onl for bikes with the manual comp release. The bike starts easily and runs fine the flash was just kinda odd.

......also.....

Do we see any design "rip-off" here??

The flash you speak of has never happened to me, mind you I usually have the lights off, I'll have to try it and see what happens.
BTW have you had a look at the condition of the wiring under the beak. Mine had some rather ugly connections that needed tidying up, and I know of another thats had "issues" with the electrics.
There doesn't seem to be much protection under there for the connections.

Yip rip off IMHO, Bigs were ahead of thier time
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #858
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I had the beak off yesterday and cleaned up a few tangles and strange routing. The only bad part was one worn wire to the right turn signal. I repaired that and organized the rest with zip ties.

.....also.....

Are any of you having problems keeping the motor mounts tight? I checked mine and the 10mm bolts were all at about 20 ft/lbs, the manual calls for 50.

The bikes vibrations went way down with proper torquing of all the motor mount bolts.

Should new nylock nuts be fitted here once the stock nuts are removed once or twice?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #859
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
moto
Hi ausibatla
G'day mate. Thanks for the welcome.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #860
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
I had the beak off yesterday and cleaned up a few tangles and strange routing. The only bad part was one worn wire to the right turn signal. I repaired that and organized the rest with zip ties.

.....also.....

Are any of you having problems keeping the motor mounts tight? I checked mine and the 10mm bolts were all at about 20 ft/lbs, the manual calls for 50.

The bikes vibrations went way down with proper torquing of all the motor mount bolts.

Should new nylock nuts be fitted here once the stock nuts are removed once or twice?
As I understand it, once the nylon has a thread in it they should be replaced, or you could use threadlock

Note to self, must check mounting bolts
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #861
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
As I understand it, once the nylon has a thread in it they should be replaced, or you could use threadlock

Note to self, must check mounting bolts
Oh yes, those famous bolts - specifically top ones.
I once rode 200 km wandering why vibration increased so much to find that 2 top bolts were totally undone.
Investigation revealed.
1. Suzuki bolts on DR mostly made of plasticine
2. Those 2 bolts were only reason for vibration increase.

Result: bought proper good quality 12.9 grade bolts from Namrick.uk, installed with nyloc nuts + blue loctite.
No problem since.
Actually, come to it - I can list items I've got self-unbolted or lost even on DR.
Self-unbolted, but not lost
1. Top motor mount
2. One of lower mount
3. Sidestand nut
4. Passenger footpegs

Self-unbolted and lost
1. Lower chain protector on swingarm
2. One of front sprocket bolts
3. (drum roll) GEAR LEVER unbolted and lost 300 km from home way back from Norway on German highway. Can only say how great is german motorists - helped me out when I got stuck at fuel station. Bought something similar from nearest Kawi shop, filed, installed, got home. Lost 2 hours.

Never ride out without blue loctite flask
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #862
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:

Hate me if you want But I'm pretty sure it's the PASS Button you accidently pressed. If you had the high beam's and deco lever switche's wires crossed you'd have bigger problems than a flashing headlight.

I always seem to honk the horn when I'm turning left on slow speeds with my tankbag on.
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #863
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
5stars fit, they just not strong in my opinion - so I modded them.
Then there is Hepco and Becker - Hessler have them
And there is Ricky Cross - Hessler have those too. No mods required.
I'd spend a bit extra and go for Ricky Cross. Genius design of mounting points.
Thanks for that bluesman. Which bags fit the Ricky Cross?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #864
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

As far as I saw in pictures Ricky Cross are not really like hardbag holders (no mounting systems, just tube structures), but frames. So there is no bolt-on, but you can use throw overs/soft bags or just attach standard mounting panels to them with few bolts/clamps (you know - those SW motech or H&B quck-lock panels).

I had photo of Ricky Cross somewhere, but need to find it. They provide great protection apart from being holders...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #865
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
As far as I saw in pictures Ricky Cross are not really like hardbag holders (no mounting systems, just tube structures), but frames. So there is no bolt-on, but you can use throw overs/soft bags or just attach standard mounting panels to them with few bolts/clamps (you know - those SW motech or H&B quck-lock panels).

I had photo of Ricky Cross somewhere, but need to find it. They provide great protection apart from being holders...
Thanks for the info. I can't see the Ricky Cross on Hessler RT.

I don't think I'll be doing any hardcore off-roading, so if I were to buy some luggage maybe the H&B Gobis would be nice - but at 800 euros for the full set-up!!! Gulp!

There's a lot of nice stuff on Hessler's site - Mikuni carbs (625 euro), Wilburs Shock (449 euro) and alum sump guard (159 euro). I'd better start saving my money .

First buy is likely to be the Acerbis handguards w/spoliers. About 70 euro all-in.
IBA #40578

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 03-10-2009 at 07:39 AM
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #866
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

ProDuro

My DRBig has come with the ProDuro exhaust, and Hessler has a 'jet kit' for 27 euro. Is this worth buying, and getting the bike set up on a dyno?
IBA #40578

Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #867
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Morse, why would I hate you,man??

I'm appreciative and I think you solved my mystery.

Here's the thing.....we Yanks don't get cool headlight flashing switches. Probably because our lane dicipline on multi-lane roads is atrocious. We overtake on the right (remember we drive on the right), we dwaddle along under the limit in the far left lane, trucks pass each other (with a .025MPH speed differential) going uphill. The reason NASCAR is so popular here is that most of the urban population lives it every day getting to work

(We also are not allowed to turn our headlights off....the US bikes don't even have switches that allow the lights to be controlled by the rider for anything other than high-beam. This makes starting fun when your battery is a bit iffy)

Maybe if our enlightened government gave us the fancy flashing switches we'd do better.

Anyway, I'm not used to having this nice feature and....Yes...the decomp lever is located right where my hand will trigger the flasher when pulling the lever.

Thanks, mystery solved.

On the motor mount bolts. The manual gave me a torque of 50 to 65 ft lbs. I noticed on two of the 10mm bolts that going over 50 gave the fastener that scary "I'm not gonna take anymore before I strip" feeling. So I left them there. I've been thinking about finding better quality hardware and now this looks like it's on the "things-to-do" list.

Thanks for everyone's helpful hints and suggestions. I'll be less needy once the bike and I get friendlier.

Ray
Davis, California
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #868
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Thanks for the info. I can't see the Ricky Cross on Hessler RT.

I don't think I'll be doing any hardcore off-roading, so if I were to buy some luggage maybe the H&B Gobis would be nice - but at 800 euros for the full set-up!!! Gulp!

There's a lot of nice stuff on Hessler's site - Mikuni carbs (625 euro), Wilburs Shock (449 euro) and alum sump guard (159 euro). I'd better start saving my money .

First buy is likely to be the Acerbis handguards w/spoliers. About 70 euro all-in.
Those Venom handguards I mentioned earlier cost 19 GBP, sold in UK, all-metal and equally strong as all aluminum-based Acerbis. Plastic Acerbis does not take DR weight well if fall on paved road....personal experience :(
Better spend those extra GBP on jet kit and dyno as you mentioned - VERY wise investment.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #869
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Those Venom handguards I mentioned earlier cost 19 GBP, sold in UK, all-metal and equally strong as all aluminum-based Acerbis. Plastic Acerbis does not take DR weight well if fall on paved road....personal experience :(
Better spend those extra GBP on jet kit and dyno as you mentioned - VERY wise investment.
I'll see if they do them with a higher spoiler for wind protection .
IBA #40578

Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #870
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

you can bolt almost any platic cover on it, one of my "often crashing" friend with DR650 keeps on bolting cheap UFO plastic ones as he filed off (on asphalt in falls) original Venom spoilers