Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #9781
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,797
I'm a lucky fellow. I have a very understanding wife too.

It is a Thumper, honestly!

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra

Megamoto screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 10:54 AM
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #9782
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Nice Paint Rob

I'm considering a full paint job next winter. Is this powder coat? Can you tell us some of your experience and recommendations when it comes to tear down and painting of these beautiful machines. Interested in your thoughts on frame and motor. Thanks for sharing. Rob
Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #9783
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,786
Megamotto, Andy she loves loves you mate, heaps and heaps wow.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #9784
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,849
Can we see her naked.

......the BIKE not the wife.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #9785
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle View Post
I'm considering a full paint job next winter. Is this powder coat? Can you tell us some of your experience and recommendations when it comes to tear down and painting of these beautiful machines. Interested in your thoughts on frame and motor. Thanks for sharing. Rob
Well this gets complicated really it does,
frames 2 pack, swing arms, fork legs, depends on the colour and time of the year the weather, because I don,t have a heated spray booth only open air outside.
It stays sticky for to long and is prone to where I live small bugs landing in it and the paint is costly and the over spray sticks to everything but goes on thick good stuff I think, prone for runs as frames are the hardest to paint evenly all over.
Some times I use VHT engine enamel about 6 thick coats and the same on the motors it dries quick but costs 25 to 30 bucks a can.
For silver a paint allso is Dupli colour wheel silver comes in a can and dries quick, swing arm fork legs rear shocky legs etc.
If painting plastics the plastic primer must be used firstit allows for a bit of flex.
If the plastics are hard stiff plastic like on a transalp and say metal tank I rather use acryllic laquer with 50 percent clear in the last coats of colour and then lay straight clear on top it the easiest paint to paint, touch dry in minutes, no bugs, and easy to fix if something does go wrong not a drama .
But you have to use 1500 wet and dry before buffing to get it nice and level before buffing, 2 pack you don,t do this its finished sraight out of the gun.
If respraying soft flexable plastics its better to use 2 pack, but acryllic can be used it all depends on how the plastics are removed and put back on if some dickhead just want to reef them off and don,t give a shite it will be more prone to cracking than 2 pack.
Eg, I allways put one finger behind the plastic lug on the side covers no matter what sort of bike and press from the back, rather than pull from the front.
I have never used powder coat I prefer to do every thing myself, the parts I don,t do on a bike myself is machineing,reboring lathes etc.
I usually replace all the bolts and nuts with new ones mostly stainless, if fussy you can buff the stainless so they look like chrome.
You can allso buff new steel bolts cad finished ones ever so lightly as not to go through the coating and they look like chrome allso, some times I use the little dremel with 25mm buffing wheel with Meguires all metal polish.
Tip of the day, put oil both sides of flat washes and under the heads of bolts so they allow for some slip and it helps to stop the paint from ripping off.

Ladder 106 Ray when petrol was petrol my dad who was a mechanic, carn,t remember how often though used to put a cap full of metho in the tank to help get rid of water, can this be done with unleaded fuel.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #9786
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Forgot to mention if you have white side covers and rear guard sr/41 you can rub down the plastics with 1500 wet and dry to remove the scratches etc then hand buff with the finest buffing compound then polish and NO need to paint at all.
This allso works on coloured plastics like the beaks and the small bits on the bottom of the tanks and arround the filler caps, it can be done on the white bash plate allso.

robmoto screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 07:07 PM
Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #9787
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,849
Robo,

From what I understand, the ethanol in E10 works just as well as methanol to capture water.

Personally, I'd not do anything that adds even more alcohol to the fuel. Particularly for older engines like ours whos designers never dreamed the engines would be run on this stuff.

The treatment I mentioned previously also stated it will absorb or "remove" water. Hard to tell exactly what to believe without an advanced knowledge of chemistry but it seems to work well and the Big seems to like it and it has NO alcohol in it like Seafoam and many others.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #9788
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Nice pics 800 but I carn,t stop thinking about that salt .

I went for a ride on the SR/42 yesterday to the mouse racers at Bylong a lot of people were there so I did not stop I did a U turn and stopped a few klm, down the road, nice scenery.
All the pic,s were taken from the same spot.

You being that perfectionist and all I can understand that, just Hose the salt off

Nice pics also and anyone who ever got to wrestle one of you bikes off you would be in for a treat

I will send my wheels over for some shiny spokes
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #9789
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
so hows she running, are you happy with her? or was that a silly question to ask
Your asking the kid with a new toy, Yep silly

But since you Did here's a bit of a run down

I didn't ride it much before the mods, but did feel the motor was held back a bit in the Mid range by the standard pipe, so the new muffler has really opened the girl up.
Im impressed with the 750, it is very smooth down low but still punchy and also revs quite well (for a big single).

Also removing 10kg from its original weight (I weighed all the bits removed) and fitting Knobblies, have made it almost dirt bike ish off road ,it would totally embarrass the KTM in the Dirt and will out accelerate it initially on the beach (KTM being some 40 kgs heavier and running dual sports tires)

My intention for her were as a proper dual sporter, that wouldn't be anemic and pipsqueakish on the Road but could handle the loose stuff, and its not far off ideal for that and would almost go anywhere my YZ would (me thinks), but still cruises well and with authority on the road

Only draw back is that the Tires are real crazy on the tar (which is mostly a bit of a laugh) as they over steer to quick on turn in and the rear has very little real grip on the tar and none on wet roads, and tire noise is louder than the pipe when cruising, I recon that all gives it character though

But any time I want to climb a grass hill I might happen to come across on the side of the road she will climb it like a mountain at barely above Idle
(I tried this morning and it was no sweet)

MCmad screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 02:28 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #9790
Rik Le Ray
VAT FREE FISHING

Oddometer: 32
More Marlboro rep pics

Hi Guys have my wheels back now tanks and plastics are being finished today

also i have just bought a T-4 Pro circuit pipe loud oh yes

Rik Le Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #9791
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,483
Rob its looking good !!! I'm pleased I sold it to someone that will give it the time and attention it deserved. Something I couldn't do for some time.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #9792
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 332
I have a standard piston ring set for sale if anyone is doing a rebuild ? about £100 to buy !!! will do a deal for a good set of MPH clocks
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #9793
aapo
aapo

Oddometer: 153
There was this legendary 80 years old enduro race here in Finland again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXng...layer_embedded

There were some grazy guys who rode it with ktm690, dr650 and yes DR800

http://www.jyrmy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/P%E4itsi+2011+/

Here goes the DR650
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsfOufCFukY

And here is the DR800

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #9794
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

800, the wheels no prob,s just send them over, front spokes 60 bucks, rears 90, labour free.
Good report too it sounds like you prefer it to the sr/43 yes , they really are a true dual purpose bike and for a bike that is 21 years old suzuki did get something right, I just wish they still made them, I would buy a new one tomorrow sr/42 of course.

Rik Le Ray, not only me we would love to see heaps of pic,s, this looks like its going to be a top quallity A no 1 rebuild,
love that wheel too.

Brendan, my pleasure, I am still waiting for one more gearbox cog the rest of the motor is real sweet like brand new, it may of just had a bad batch of 4th and fifth gears at the time.
I think the total rebuild etc will only be about a grand or so .

Hello Aapo, long time no hear.

robmoto screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 04:45 AM
Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #9795
Rik Le Ray
VAT FREE FISHING

Oddometer: 32
Dr marlboro

Here we are guys i have them what do you think ?

Rik Le Ray is offline   Reply With Quote