ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #91
OConnor
Bad juju
 
OConnor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Midwest
Oddometer: 3,407
I like the big singles but they are too hard to find in the US. Is the basic motor similar to the DR650? I thought there was a kit at one time to bump the 650 up to 750 of so...

My dream is a DR650 bored out as big as I can go in a SR500/SRX6 type of setup. A huge roadster single!
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #92
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
yeh. i know that...i had a long talk with stefan about it yesturday.
my question is about real life experience with it. any one...?
again- i hope the difference is that big!!!

after that i will start working on cuting weight from the rear (frame and wheel)
Might be hard to find anyone thats used them, would he give you any referances or contacts,

Usely Carbs work best when other work is done such as pipes and cam cause then the motor can use the extra fuel, since you have pipe, Id quess youd gain about 5hp from carbs, bluesman may have some thoughts
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #93
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
Colleagues, I am happy to report that we just came back from our tour to Norway...10 days alltogether, me + my wife + luggage, 800 km through Germany (motorways), 350 through Denmark (motorways, boooring), ferry (that's 2 days wasted to and 2 days back) before reaching Norway. Approximately 2500-2700 km in Norway in 6 days on different, mostly small and badly damaged roads.
DR did fine, except that cheap bolt I used to tie gear lever on shaft snapped and I lost gear lever somewhere on German motorway 300 km from home. That'll teach me to watch what materials I use when working on bike. Replaced with more-less suitable gear pedal from Kawasaki dealrship nearby...lost 2 hours.
And another thing - for some reason this time my DR used a lot of oil for 5000 km. Was not the case right before, but before I did not ride it 2-up + 30 kg luggage for 5000 km. Not sure why. No smoke, no loss of power, no nothing...not sure where oil goes. Perhaps a lot of lane splitting in still traffic in Germany to blame. Now bike is at 86000+ km on the clock 10 000 + of which are mine. Going to monitor it a bit. Next time we will go straight to northern Norway as this time we rode lots of roads just up to halfway between Bergen and Trondheim. In a word: it was great and I like northern and mountain parts better than fjords.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #94
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.
 
Megamoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: You know...I think I've been here before.
Oddometer: 2,801
Dr Big.......

Say hello to Daisy. She lives with 2 Yamaha SZR660's, a CCM R30 and a 25 year old Yamaha LB50 Chappy. It must be something about singles..............

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...hicle&vid=3258

(Now with a bigger screen, rear sets and a belly pan....................)
__________________
Guerrilla Moto diplomacy.
Higher level simians as ambassadors of vroom to skewer ignorance and amalgamate ideas globally.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #95
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Colleagues, I am happy to report that we just came back from our tour to Norway...10 days alltogether, me + my wife + luggage, 800 km through Germany (motorways), 350 through Denmark (motorways, boooring), ferry (that's 2 days wasted to and 2 days back) before reaching Norway. Approximately 2500-2700 km in Norway in 6 days on different, mostly small and badly damaged roads.
DR did fine, except that cheap bolt I used to tie gear lever on shaft snapped and I lost gear lever somewhere on German motorway 300 km from home. That'll teach me to watch what materials I use when working on bike. Replaced with more-less suitable gear pedal from Kawasaki dealrship nearby...lost 2 hours.
And another thing - for some reason this time my DR used a lot of oil for 5000 km. Was not the case right before, but before I did not ride it 2-up + 30 kg luggage for 5000 km. Not sure why. No smoke, no loss of power, no nothing...not sure where oil goes. Perhaps a lot of lane splitting in still traffic in Germany to blame. Now bike is at 86000+ km on the clock 10 000 + of which are mine. Going to monitor it a bit. Next time we will go straight to northern Norway as this time we rode lots of roads just up to halfway between Bergen and Trondheim. In a word: it was great and I like northern and mountain parts better than fjords.
Im very Jelious , would be cool to see some pics,
You didnt happen to change the brand of oil you used before you left.
What were your oil consumption Figures
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #96
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Im very Jelious , would be cool to see some pics,
You didnt happen to change the brand of oil you used before you left.
What were your oil consumption Figures
Pictures being sorted now :)

Well, here is all story about oil.
When I left I had halfway between F and L marks, used always Castrol GPS, 10W40 on all my bikes. Bike did eat a bit of oil, but even less that usual for big single. Let say from full to halway mark in 3000 km. I had 0.5 liter of same oil with me to add to make it full. So - that 0.5 liter do not count, but I only added it when in Norway - see below.
First day halfway through Germany it is hot and we hit dead traffic jam - autobahn totally closed because of truck accident.
I filter 20 km through dead still line of cars, engine head temp. shoot up to 176 Celsius (it is not oil temp, it is head under spark plug, so 176 is still OK). Before trip highest temp I did hit was 165 Celsius in offoroad ride.
Then we ride remaining km thtough Germany, Denmark and I never checked oil.
First full day in Norway we go for a challenging ride around Lysefjord - mountin passes, twisties, haripins etc. etc.
That evening I did stupid thing: I checked oil level on cold bike, after it stand there for like 4 hours. I see 0. I mean - I see almost no oil, it is just touching bottom of measuring stick. Despite head temp was totally fine all day. Panick attack. Poured half-liter of that original Castrol oil I had with me in. Touching low mark. Ran to nearest fuel station, bought Shell 10W40 half-synth auto oil. Poured 1 liter in. Oil level (on cold bike) on top.
From that time constantly checked oil level with totally mysterious results. One problem - bike was jacked up with preload at rear to cope with luggage and passenger, when we both on bike and luggage on - level seem to be higher on stick. When I measure on empty bike - L level. Then on hot bike oil seem to be OK, then I forget and check again on cold bike - low level.
I started to go mad really. Riding was difficult, lots of changing rpms and gears, twisty roads, really bad surface, fair amount on 1st and 2nd gear crawling.
In Norway Bought another 1 liter oil. Statoil 10W40 half-synth for cars. Close to end of journey gradually poured it in because level was L again, but every oil check was that mad "measure 5 times, get different results. Before hitting ferry back oil level with all I poured in was full mark.
On way back through Denmark and Germany (1100-1150 km) had another panick attack and poured about 400-500 cc of that usual on German oil stations "no name" 10W40 oil in (quality there usually good even for no name, and it is not particularly cheap) so it was top mark again. Now bike is cold and still jacked up and oil is a bit above low mark.
Today I am going to change oil and filter to original Castrol GPS (now called RS4 - they just changed name).
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #97
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Likin' this thread
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #98
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 855
Yet another of these beautys in N.Z., with those k's it's only just run in
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=173614503
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #99
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Pictures being sorted now :)

Well, here is all story about oil.
When I left I had halfway between F and L marks, used always Castrol GPS, 10W40 on all my bikes. Bike did eat a bit of oil, but even less that usual for big single. Let say from full to halway mark in 3000 km. I had 0.5 liter of same oil with me to add to make it full. So - that 0.5 liter do not count, but I only added it when in Norway - see below.
First day halfway through Germany it is hot and we hit dead traffic jam - autobahn totally closed because of truck accident.
I filter 20 km through dead still line of cars, engine head temp. shoot up to 176 Celsius (it is not oil temp, it is head under spark plug, so 176 is still OK). Before trip highest temp I did hit was 165 Celsius in offoroad ride.
Then we ride remaining km thtough Germany, Denmark and I never checked oil.
First full day in Norway we go for a challenging ride around Lysefjord - mountin passes, twisties, haripins etc. etc.
That evening I did stupid thing: I checked oil level on cold bike, after it stand there for like 4 hours. I see 0. I mean - I see almost no oil, it is just touching bottom of measuring stick. Despite head temp was totally fine all day. Panick attack. Poured half-liter of that original Castrol oil I had with me in. Touching low mark. Ran to nearest fuel station, bought Shell 10W40 half-synth auto oil. Poured 1 liter in. Oil level (on cold bike) on top.
From that time constantly checked oil level with totally mysterious results. One problem - bike was jacked up with preload at rear to cope with luggage and passenger, when we both on bike and luggage on - level seem to be higher on stick. When I measure on empty bike - L level. Then on hot bike oil seem to be OK, then I forget and check again on cold bike - low level.
I started to go mad really. Riding was difficult, lots of changing rpms and gears, twisty roads, really bad surface, fair amount on 1st and 2nd gear crawling.
In Norway Bought another 1 liter oil. Statoil 10W40 half-synth for cars. Close to end of journey gradually poured it in because level was L again, but every oil check was that mad "measure 5 times, get different results. Before hitting ferry back oil level with all I poured in was full mark.
On way back through Denmark and Germany (1100-1150 km) had another panick attack and poured about 400-500 cc of that usual on German oil stations "no name" 10W40 oil in (quality there usually good even for no name, and it is not particularly cheap) so it was top mark again. Now bike is cold and still jacked up and oil is a bit above low mark.
Today I am going to change oil and filter to original Castrol GPS (now called RS4 - they just changed name).
Look forward to Pictures I have a few post to

In regards to Oil consuption youl just have to start from scratch and check it under normal running conditions, I would think 3000ks per litre would be acceptable at your Ks and as Oil gets dirty it will use it a lot quicker
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #100
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
Colleagues,
Quick question.
I am looking for quite aggressive (more than Mefo 99) tyres for my DR. Objective: 200 km to the meeting point on motorways, totally offroad riding for 1.5 days, 200 km back.
I did it once with Mefos and found them to be too bad in mud (rest is fine).
Fellow DR owners from Dutch club suggested Pirelli MT21. Somebody else suggested TKC80. I know TKC80s are better on pavement, but are they good enough for mud? And opposite side: are MT21s that scary on pavement that I will kill myself during that "paved" part of ride? Anybody tried to run MT21 on DR?
I need tyres that would give me more confidence in wet stuff (Mefo's just s..s in the "wet" offroad) but will not kill me on simple ride to meeting points on paved roads at about 120 kmph motorway riding...
I heard horror stories on MT21s like "on pavement it is like riding on bearing balls" - is that truly THAT bad?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #101
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Colleagues,
Quick question.
I am looking for quite aggressive (more than Mefo 99) tyres for my DR. Objective: 200 km to the meeting point on motorways, totally offroad riding for 1.5 days, 200 km back.
I did it once with Mefos and found them to be too bad in mud (rest is fine).
Fellow DR owners from Dutch club suggested Pirelli MT21. Somebody else suggested TKC80. I know TKC80s are better on pavement, but are they good enough for mud? And opposite side: are MT21s that scary on pavement that I will kill myself during that "paved" part of ride? Anybody tried to run MT21 on DR?
I need tyres that would give me more confidence in wet stuff (Mefo's just s..s in the "wet" offroad) but will not kill me on simple ride to meeting points on paved roads at about 120 kmph motorway riding...
I heard horror stories on MT21s like "on pavement it is like riding on bearing balls" - is that truly THAT bad?
MT21 are what I want to put on My DR as they are sopposed to be one off the best,, It funny I think were all getting woosy cause that XR500 im riding on my aviator allways had full knobbly tires on it and I could give the sports bikes off the day a good thrashing on the tight roads and in the wet I enjoyed it cause I could slide easy in the tight turns, I think were just all spoilt now, Dont think the 21s will be to bad for short distances on road but I think the main Issue is they wear out quicker
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #102
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
MT21 are what I want to put on My DR as they are sopposed to be one off the best,, It funny I think were all getting woosy cause that XR500 im riding on my aviator allways had full knobbly tires on it and I could give the sports bikes off the day a good thrashing on the tight roads and in the wet I enjoyed it cause I could slide easy in the tight turns, I think were just all spoilt now, Dont think the 21s will be to bad for short distances on road but I think the main Issue is they wear out quicker
You know what - I think you are exactly right about getting wussy!
I just remembered WHAT and how I rode when I started riding bikes - my God, I would be scared even sitting on it nowadays!
Riding self-built chopper made from old Russian boxer on rock-hard locally made tyres, with drum brakes and stretch forks just everywhere...
Riding VT250 offroad and on stones size of child head....on street tyres...

Yeah, I am buyng set of 21s. No more hesitations. Thank you for confidence boost!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #103
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
You know what - I think you are exactly right about getting wussy!
I just remembered WHAT and how I rode when I started riding bikes - my God, I would be scared even sitting on it nowadays!
Riding self-built chopper made from old Russian boxer on rock-hard locally made tyres, with drum brakes and stretch forks just everywhere...
Riding VT250 offroad and on stones size of child head....on street tyres...

Yeah, I am buyng set of 21s. No more hesitations. Thank you for confidence boost!
No Worries, let me know how the work as I have really been thinking that Our Dr:s need this sort off grip off road because the Extra weight the carry verses some off lighter thumpers and with all that grunt they would be able to move some ground then ( big roosts)

O yeah some pictures of my last Ride
Attached Images
 

MCmad screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 03:06 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #104
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
pic 2
Attached Images
 
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #105
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
3
Attached Images
 
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014