Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #11386
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Ray Rev, ressecion, only just starting to hit hear where I live, we have been very lucky, but not anymore I can see tough times ahead, thats why I am on here and not working today 2 weeks off before a good flow of work again.

Ray , take your particuliars off here, or otherwise your bike will be stollen, please do it now , your Idea is very good but maybe private messages is the better way to go but even then we could be cond by a new commer so be carefull.
I am off to work on the big, a secret location of course , and turn off the alarm, and dismantle all the booby traps and have a look at last nights camera footage while I am at it I can even give you the rego of every car that went past here last night and what time the resident possum gave us a visit and zoom in on the faces of the people in the car.

Lars
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #11387
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
Really?

OK....info removed. I'd still like to at least get everyone's email address.

Guess I'm either dumb or too trusting.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #11388
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Anybody in Australia interested in a 1991 Yamaha XT600EB. The Australian Army is selling 53 of them. This link shows one with 55km on it in Brisbane but there are others in every state.

http://www.manheim.com.au/brvm/items...=SearchResults

Cheers.

ausibatla screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 07:00 PM
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #11389
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Well no washers at all, must have been thinking about the 2 on the idler gear, other side of the motor, or at the time looked in the manual and disriguarded them, as I said don,t quote me on this as it was nearly 2 years ago .
Ok when all the shafts are pushed in and all thre gears are on, and pushed back, the shafts protrude all the SAME.
The distance they protrude is the SAME as the distance you can push them into the side cover.
I marked a shaft with a fine tipped marker and pushed this into all the side cover holes.
I f you put all the gears flush at the outside including with the end of the starter motor there is nearly 2mm gap behind gear C.
But then all the shafts aren,t equally protruding.
But when all the gears are pussed back they appear to be all inline at the back, and all the protruding shafts are the same length.
The outside flange on A is flush or level with the teeth,
No flange on B but the centre is level or flat with the teeth.
The outside flang on C is about .5mm higher 0r proud of the teeth.
My C gear is the 43 tooth one.
My C gear back teeth are about 2mm or so narrower than the corresponding B gear.
Ok to centre it one would think 1 washer behind it if so then even though all the holes in the side case are the same depth the C gear shaft does not go in quite as far because it is machined slightly more providing one washer does not make it tight to start with.
Now using no washers at all and just pretending that the C gear what ever maybe the case, can move out 1.5mm it still has full bearing on all the teeth because it is narrower than B gear.
Now does any one know or can measure there old C gear and compare it to a newer version 43 tootha and are both of them raised about .5mm on the outside.
Anyway what we do know now is that if gear C can move out even 1.5 or so it will still have full width teeth contact, as when the gears are all pushed in they are flush at the back.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #11390
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Really?

OK....info removed. I'd still like to at least get everyone's email address.

Guess I'm either dumb or too trusting.
Not dumb at all Ray, you are just a honest chap like me .
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #11391
thmpr_AZ
Ton-Up!

Oddometer: 13
Noisy Engine

Ideas? DR800 cafe, 25,000 km. Engine has tons of internal chain noise. Adjusted the counterbalancer chain with the torque method as it was quite loose and inspected the timing chain tension which seemed very tight. Reassembled. Engine still has tons of chain noise. Idle is almost intolerable - turns heads. Did screwdriver sound hunt and seems like counterbalancer chain noise as the inspection cover area produced the most noise. Should I disassemble again? Ideas?

Glenn
Phoenix, AZ
thmpr_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #11392
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Well no washers at all, must have been thinking about the 2 on the idler gear, other side of the motor, or at the time looked in the manual and disriguarded them, as I said don,t quote me on this as it was nearly 2 years ago .
Ok when all the shafts are pushed in and all thre gears are on, and pushed back, the shafts protrude all the SAME.
The distance they protrude is the SAME as the distance you can push them into the side cover.
I marked a shaft with a fine tipped marker and pushed this into all the side cover holes.
I f you put all the gears flush at the outside including with the end of the starter motor there is nearly 2mm gap behind gear C.
But then all the shafts aren,t equally protruding.
But when all the gears are pussed back they appear to be all inline at the back, and all the protruding shafts are the same length.
The outside flange on A is flush or level with the teeth,
No flange on B but the centre is level or flat with the teeth.
The outside flang on C is about .5mm higher 0r proud of the teeth.
My C gear is the 43 tooth one.
My C gear back teeth are about 2mm or so narrower than the corresponding B gear.
Ok to centre it one would think 1 washer behind it if so then even though all the holes in the side case are the same depth the C gear shaft does not go in quite as far because it is machined slightly more providing one washer does not make it tight to start with.
Now using no washers at all and just pretending that the C gear what ever maybe the case, can move out 1.5mm it still has full bearing on all the teeth because it is narrower than B gear.
Now does any one know or can measure there old C gear and compare it to a newer version 43 tootha and are both of them raised about .5mm on the outside.
Anyway what we do know now is that if gear C can move out even 1.5 or so it will still have full width teeth contact, as when the gears are all pushed in they are flush at the back.
It should have SOME free play, it's normal. I would say 1.5 mm sounds OK. Even on my SR43 torque limiter gear have free play with all correct washers.
Teeth contact is not main concern I think - I would more concentrate on gear C catching (or not) stationary parts or touching "flange to flange" with other gears.
So, I am going to drop message to one of my colleagues in other country who got bone stock motor DR750 that never been updated or fixed and will ask him to measure if motor is apart or measure when motor is open for balancer chain adjustment (not rare occasion really).
In any case as I said before - washer that The_sad_punk had on his idle gear shall not be there 100%. It's just wrong size - as I mentioned ID of washer can't be so much bigger than OD of gear pin.

So, to sum up - we need size of this updated gear, part number shown on photo...
If anyone has one like that - please measure it...

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #11393
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Great work, Nave. Of course I love the Made in USA stamp in the casting.......

.......... but...........

I really think you're missing a washer in there somewhere. If you look under the welder, I'm sure you'll find it

You are so wrong!

He missing 2, TWO washers!!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #11394
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
You are so wrong!

He missing 2, TWO washers!!!!
and I allways thought i'm missimg a
nut or 2...
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #11395
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Blue how many teeth on the one you just posted, mine is the other one and has 43 teeth.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #11396
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmpr_AZ View Post
Ideas? DR800 cafe, 25,000 km. Engine has tons of internal chain noise. Adjusted the counterbalancer chain with the torque method as it was quite loose and inspected the timing chain tension which seemed very tight. Reassembled. Engine still has tons of chain noise. Idle is almost intolerable - turns heads. Did screwdriver sound hunt and seems like counterbalancer chain noise as the inspection cover area produced the most noise. Should I disassemble again? Ideas?

Glenn
Phoenix, AZ
Something may stuck to the rotor magnets or can a screw have come loose down there and is touching the rotor maybe a stator screw, or has the pickup coil come loose.
Have a look at the parts fish at CSMNL
Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #11397
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmpr_AZ View Post

Glenn
Phoenix, AZ
Did you see if the starter clutch gear spins freely one way and grabs the other way,they do have in technical terms end float about 2 to 3 mm if its a SR/43 things may be different .
Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #11398
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Blue how many teeth on the one you just posted, mine is the other one and has 43 teeth.
Sorry - do not know...I am at work now...if you can guys may be count on this photo. This is other side and all teeth visible

Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #11399
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

OK then there are 3 different sprockets .
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #11400
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Engine has tons of internal chain noise.
The Big has more noise from the left case and valve train than any of my other motorcycles. The only air cooled one I have left is my GS750. My neighbor has a new DR650 that is much quieter than my DR750 but doesn't have the same balancer shaft chain arrangement. You might also try taking a peek at the oil screen on the underside to see if anything is trapped there that might give you a clue.

I'm wondering if your balancer chain is just plain worn out?

To try to refrain from ordering parts from europe every week, I've done considerable searching for direct replacements from USA models.

I've found that many parts from the 1990-91 USA DR650 will cross-over to the DR750 (swingarm and suspension link bearings, brake pads and rotors...etc). The one part I'm not certain of is the balancer chain. The USA DR650 uses almost the identical balancer chain arrangement of the DR750/800 but different tooth numbers on the sprockets. The timing chain part numbers are very close but not identical.

So.......a request

Would any of you lot that have your right side covers off right now researching the "Great Washer Dilema" please count the number of "PINS" on your balancer chains?

If this number matches the part for the USA DR650 at least the few of us here can source balancer chains locally.

A new chain may help quite down the noises for PDX.

Quote:
can guys may be count on this photo
I get 34 (thirty-four) teeth. And that's after 2 cups of coffee so I'm pretty certain it's accurate.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote