Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #11461
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,833
Old Horror movie trivia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thH3qnHTbI

the Transylvania twist bit is near the end.....so, yeah, you have to suffer through it. USA #1 song just before Haloween 1962....I was 12.

........and all this goes to prove that you have to be a bit....uhmmm....."twisted" to own more than 4 Bigs. But the really frightening part is that I understood him. Nice one, Robo

Ladder106 screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 10:18 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #11462
hellicks hellmet
Prunc blastamat

Oddometer: 101
Oh, got it now! It wasn't easy going through it though, actually having to pause Dream Theater's "On the Backs of Angels" to hear that...

But yeah, things a'twistin' in ol' Transylvania!

1989 Suzuki DR BIG 750S Motard
1994 Suzuki DR 650R
1998 Aprilia RSV1000
hellicks hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #11463
Simon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Man, at that price I was expecting a Big that was still in the crate and brand new! Even then the price would be a bit rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla View Post
Robmoto sent me this ad of a '88 DR750 for sale in Victoria. It confirms what we've all known for years.

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bike...eot=1&__N=1432

Cheers.
Simon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #11464
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
No,
the song was changed to the 'Time Warp' (The Rocky Horror Picture Show) and this goes on for ever!!!
Rocking regards, Bambi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc80tFJpTuo
Lol, Transylva-INAAAAHAHA!
Long live RHPS

Speaking of coming up to the lab to see whats on the slab, my creation got a new achor compliments of Mister Hessler, couldnt resist

the_sad_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #11465
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Hello hellicks, hello sad_punk, hi folks,
concerning: 'Oh, got it now! It wasn't easy going through it though, actually having to pause Dream Theater's "On the Backs of Angels" to hear that... '
I wouldn't have paused DT, would have listened to them up to the end of the song and then I had started the search ... But it's very nice to have one more prog-metalist here beside my wife Iris and me.

The RHPS is with us since I met Iris in 1979.

And may the stopping-power be with you, sad_punk! Looks damned good! Hope it works as good as it looks! Keep in mind, that the Big has a narrow front-tire. That makes it easy to lock a wheel with a good brake. But I, too, think, that a bit of extra-reserve would be welcome with the original Big-brake, especially on SR 41 and 42.
Rocking regards, Bambi
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #11466
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Oh, but it does look great!
Now you got brakes (before it was just imitation!) :)

Mmm...I fear with SR41/42 forks the brace may not be enough - and they do look out of picture comparing to all shiny machined bits, no? Upgrade later?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #11467
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

With the wilbers springs, brace and intiminators i cant see how that could be Blue, but im sure you are going to tell us all, in great detail
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #11468
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sad_punk View Post
With the wilbers springs, brace and intiminators i cant see how that could be Blue, but im sure you are going to tell us all, in great detail
Nope. I will wait for you to come over and ride my DR.

Then I won't need to tell you

In fact this is not matter of damping performance but simple system rigidity. May be I overestimating effect of 320 mm single disk with good 4 piston caliper on 200 kg bike , who knows

Seriously - one day come over for some proper beer, you always welcome. Not so far, right? You are in Ireland or UK I think?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #11469
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

BTW - you got wilbers shock too, no?
Because I learned that upgrading "one end" on DR suspension is..oh, is worse than not upgrading at all.
It took me all 5500 km of second Norway trip with swearing at rear shock and bike weaving on motorways and endless attempts to find balanced settings and ended up in me spending big bucks for rear shock.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #11470
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Hi Bluesman,
looking at the last pic of our sad_punk I think, he has also installed the reinforced forkbrace of Hessler Motorsport. That should be stiff enough to take the extra-load. Stefan Hessler himself says, that adding this brace is a sufficient point to make real use of his upgraded brake!
Kind regards, Bambi - it's just a jump to the left ... (this has nothing to do with the brake and the brace!!!)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #11471
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

We will see...I guess with 21 inch wheel it's OK. You slide it before you twist forks I guess.

On SR43 with 43 mm forks, proper brace (borrowed from DR650 and massive - no idea what make), 300 mm disk with Beringer and GSXR1100 master, 17 inch wheel with Supercorsa braking at motorway speeds left me speechless from fear.
As result I went full monty and replaced forks.

SR41 runs 41 mm skinny forks in narrow yokes and 15 mm front axle. I can't tell if it will be OK or not on sticky wheels. Just do not know. 50-50.
My suggestion was just question since large number of additions done on that bike - not sure why it was perceived like that.

Still, I would never trade back from WP extremes. Brilliant forks. And forks and brakes did cost me less than intimidators + wilbers springs + brace+ brakes setup because I am very limited on budget, so - it's my way to deal with it. In fact Stefan revalved and shortened travel of my WP fork legs and I really love result. Rest I done myself for same budget reason. On other hand my bike have "exchange wheels" - because of my setup I can replace set of 17" sumo wheels with set 21-17 originals with knobby tyres in 15 minutes keeping all rest stuff in place and attempt my piss poor offroad skills when I feel like it
Old 09-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #11472
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Hi Blues,
you didn't mention your front wheel width, I presume 120/something/17. I admit, that's quite another world! You've got, compaired to the 90/90-21 a lot of rubber on the road and I'd never discuss, that this will put a whole lotta (one-sided) load on your fork. At that point, me, I might be starting to think about a twin-disc-front-end to put even (and so self-eliminating) load on both sides of the fork!
I'm something like satisfied with my original well-maintained front-brake with braided-hosed brake-line. But only on solo-rides! With Iris (55 kg + moto-gear) on pillion I feel brake-problems coming up after some narrow twisties downhill ... a bit of reserve would be fine. I must admit, that I still have to fit the Hessler-fork-springs and adjust the (much-too-long) spacers in my fork (put in by it's pre-owner). Me, I'm trying to do it step by step and see, what's the result. As far as I know, a soft and deep 'diving' front limits your brake-perfomance, too. But I also want to keep the bike's off-road-abilities, so I'll stick to the 21-inch-wheel and the narrow tire.
For super-moto-style, I have a Suzuki GN 400 (formerly so-said soft-chopper). Only draw-back of this bike is, that a straight shouldn't be longer than 200 meters ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #11473
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oh yes, hear hear....actually on my first ride after I bought DR I almost hit nice shiny Audi A6 that was braking in front of me - believe it or not, I did brake with front, rear and left heel!!!
Obviously my wife was passenger.

But I am sure with stock forks you also can have 2 sets of wheels! Off and on road. I know 2 people who have that setup.
Of course both have upgraded brakes.
On my bike it's done quite simple: WP forks, Beringer direct bolt-on caliper (lucky find on eBay), set of stock wheels with different bearings pressed in and Pirelli MT21 tyres + set of rear 4.25x17 rim on stock hub (measured, ordered spokes from Central Wheel, assembled) and front wheel from Husaberg FE600 with stock DR brake disk adapted to it. Thing is - I had lucky case and got Berg's WP Extremes in excellent condition + 2 supermoto wheels for Berg alltogether for 400 Euros :) Then I found Beringer on eBay for 90 euros. A bit of exchange, trade etc. and it was all sorted. And my friend gave me leftover from his Aprilia Pegaso - front fender that I installed in the way it can be slid up and down on forks when wheel changed. Hence 15 minutes makeover from offroader to supermoto at any time.

This is year ago...looks almost same now, just repainted

Dive - yep, also problem....well, Intimidators promising to stop that (Ladder106 confirms they help), so I guess this won't be a problem on that bike.

I deliberately keep it looks similar to stock. I like sleepers :)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #11474
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sad_punk View Post
Old 09-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #11475
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

I still won't tell you in any details how it will be with Intiminators, Wilbers springs and fork brace etc.
I don't know and won't spend time figuring - it is not my bike. It's for you to figure when you will ride it. And to tell us

I am explaining MY setup to Bambi.