Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #11536
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
I measured with a steel rule over all DIA not including the part welded on 150mm, my digital callipers don,t go that wide. hope this helps.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #11537
ambraa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
I measured with a steel rule over all DIA not including the part welded on 150mm, my digital callipers don,t go that wide. hope this helps.
Thanks Rob! That helps.
Could you please measure the height of the part welded on too? Not the whole diameter, just the strip welded on
(I'm trying to make and fit a 36-1 wheel to use the ignition part of the megasquirt.)
ambraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #11538
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

OK with digital callipers 2.25mm exactly, cheers.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #11539
ambraa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
OK with digital callipers 2.25mm exactly, cheers.
Thank you very much Rob, saved me a lot of trial and error.
ambraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #11540
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Shane you can stay here on the down and back from Bright, we can do some measurements and photos of the bars etc, I was in Omeo and Bright last December on the big, beautifull high country.
Rob thanks, that very generous and I'll be there. I'll send a PM closer to the day to get your address etc.
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #11541
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Wheel Rebuild

Long term goal is to build my own wheels. Excel or similar rims, stainless steel spokes. Looking to:

1. Just gain the experience.
2. Build a strnger set of wheels
3. If possible be able to access a better tyre choice for both on and off-road.

I've bveen told that a 17 inch wheel is not as common as a 18 inch wheel. Is this what others have found? Would it be best to build and 18 inch rear wheel or a 17 inch rear wheel? I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

BTW, I know its not DR Big related, but I just got to the bottom of why my 87 GPz750 would not start reliably, so that is a step closer to getting on the road!

Thanks,

Shane
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #11542
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
g'day shane,
Rob is our resident wheel guru, he will tell you all you need to know.
regarding size, i would go an 18 inch if you want dirt tyres. if you want more of a road setup then stick with the 17.
my next mod will be an 18 inch rear. not sure if i'll go the whole hog and get a disc as well. will have to do more research and costing.
cheers.
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #11543
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
The thread is kinda quiet so heres some of the little fiddly jobs ive been at.
Resi's upper chain slider

Resi also came to the rescue with different sized rubber p clips to mount my gizmos

Rubber washers each side of the plate and bolt and the alloy assembly itself is rubber mounted

Touratech box

Lower mounts foul the frame, drill one central lower one is the solution. I may cut the sides and bottom and drill/rivit a hinge on the bottom to allow the front to hinge downwards. Bit of a balls to access it when my bars are on so it would make a tidy job of it.

Piggybacked the ring terminals of the battery bug for the vepor.
In other news i balanced the front wheel, only took 20g to do it, any need to balance the rear aswell?

Come on Rob, showis what your at! I havnt programmed the vepor yet have you?
the_sad_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #11544
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
I do not know how it is on 750, but - did you check clearance with toolbox with forks compressed? How it came out?
I always wanted to put same shaped box on mine but had to make "shallow" version because it would interfere with wheel, so I wonder how others did it? I seen few on Stefan's site and it looked OK, so I am a bit torn...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #11545
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Nice work Colum, I have been busy doing stuff too, allmost ready for some colour coats on the weekend.

Shane on the Aussi forrums there is a thread on local wheel builders they speak highly of one in Brisbane. standard spokes are easily obtained through suzuki dealers, 160 bucks, and excell rims 560/600 bucks.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #11546
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
Hey guys...I just did a 2 day trip with some friends.....usually will be riding the XRR...but this time,riding the big.

My two joy...

Checkout the photolink.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...7491373&type=1
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...7491373&type=1

Have a great day ahead....cheers....
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #11547
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,860
Scattered thoughts

Quote:
but - did you check clearance with toolbox with forks compressed?

Hey, someone other the me said that

Bluesman, I think you and I are like John the Baptist on these threads.....shouting in the wilderness.

No worries about SP though....I know he "gets it".

Resi,

You're going to have to publish a catalog soon. You've got more great stuff for these bikes than just about anyone.

Oddly enough, ,I have finally reached a point where all but one of my bikes (a R50/2) are up to date on maintenance and modifications and all are rideable. This is rather like having the planets align on your birthday. I've been enjoying quite a few day rides and looking forward to a 3 day in a week or so.

It actually feels odd not to be working on something.......but lurking in the future is my next priority.......a shock replacement for the DR750. Riding my other bikes proves beyond a doubt that the damping on my old standard DR750 shock us just about gone. It's still ridable but I certainly cant push the pace off-road any longer. The seat kicking up and smacking me (hard) in the but while going over a set of small(ish) whoops yesterday has proved this.

I was going to try the GSXR silencer mod since HLK offered me one.......oh crap I haven't even contacted him about that - uhmmm PM on the way HLK sorry.......but I think I have to save for a shock instead.

Is Wilbers the "pick of the litter" with shockes for the DR? Any ideas on the German eBay sellers for this piece - or - would contacting Wilbers.eu be best? There's a distributor for Wilbers in the USA but I'm certain they've never heard of the Big so I'd probably get some generic damping.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 08:26 AM
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #11548
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,860
.....and even more

Beautiful bike AJ......The guy with the MX boots and shorts gave me a chuckle....hopefully it's not YOU
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #11549
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
which one?

Well,I was also one of the few with the zip-off enduro pants with Scott Genius...
Reason why we zip out the lower half,becoz we actually have left our stuffs,loads at the homestay and also awhile ago before this recce,we were caught in a heavy downpour and were soaked inside out....So we were just not far from the homestay where we stray ourselves to do some recce climbing some hills and downhills.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #11550
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Hey, someone other the me said that

Bluesman, I think you and I are like John the Baptist on these threads.....shouting in the wilderness.

No worries about SP though....I know he "gets it".

I was going to try the GSXR silencer mod since HLK offered me one.......oh crap I haven't even contacted him about that - uhmmm PM on the way HLK sorry.......but I think I have to save for a shock instead.

Is Wilbers the "pick of the litter" with shockes for the DR? Any ideas on the German eBay sellers for this piece - or - would contacting Wilbers.eu be best? There's a distributor for Wilbers in the USA but I'm certain they've never heard of the Big so I'd probably get some generic damping.
yep, I am too obsessed with clearance there. But I actually was asking for reason - I fancy this type of box, I made one myself (same shape and size) but had to cut it twice because of clearance. Now my supercool tyre pump won't fit. So I was hoping SP took trouble of trying clearance so that I won't have to do "cutting down" excercise...I hate it to be honest. I have my reasons too for that obsession (I know you had it with AT). Once I was saved from big off by fact, that radiator guard on my (back then) Hornet was made of sh...t and bent when I hit it with front fender. BIG bump on road in Alps caused it.

About shocks. I got mine off eBay shop in Germany with full Wilbers docs and 5 years warranty (new of course). Wilbers resellers do sell shocks on eBay. I had mine at "sale time" and it saved me 90 Euros!

Wilbers are the business. Get one of more expensive series - those separate damping circuits make wonders. I have them on both of my bikes and in comparison with experience I had with WP and Ohlins - Wilbers are way ahead. Others were nice, but only Wilbers allows me to adjust in the way, that ride is comfy yet planted to perfection.
I also recommend to check with US resellers. I just read somewhere on ADV (can't recall) that there are "sale" coming on Wilbers shocks somewhere in US.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote