User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #12016
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
SH,

Some thing (or a number of things) were unacceptable or uncomfortable for her. These things are accepted and even maybe valued by us but are seen as negatives by many females.

The ride was
(a) too long (never introduce a passenger with anything but a short 20-30 min. rides)
(b) too noisy
(c) too bumpy (are you still using the standard rear shock?)
(d) too windy/rainy
(e) too uncomfortable (the Big seat may not have fit her anatomy too well)
(f) too scary (you really have to take it easy on a new passenger....slow WAY down and modulate controls gently - they aren't holding onto anything but you)
(g) too cold/hot
(h) too isolating. (A high quality comm system is a MUST HAVE to make the riding experience truly shared..gesturing shouting and pointing doesn't work well with very verbal creatures)
(i) Sticking them on the bike in an ill-fitting borrowed helmet and inappropriate (according to them) clothing will make the introduction go horribly wrong. If she felt rumpled or beat up when entering the restaurant, your trip was a failure.

Your job now is to carefully and tactfully discover how many "too(s)" apply and correct them.

My wife rode with me for years but never really liked off road bikes. Her favorites were the GT750 and GS1000 Suzukis. Nice large passenger area with a comfortable seat, high quality rear shocks (added) and a top box/panniers to carry her essential items easily.

She was injured in a horse riding accident during a 3-day (horse) competition and now has a spinal fusion and can no longer ride either equines or motorcycles.

Granted there are a few examples of the species out there that will NEVER want to set their posterior on a motorcycle.

But if you make them as comfortable as possible and explain how important this is to YOU, she may change her mind.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 11:15 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #12017
Simon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thanks for the invitation Bambi, it's much appreciated as local knowledge is a huge advantage when travelling. Luckily unlike Silent Hunter my wife Suzanne is coming with me and we'll probably cover 25,000 km plus. Germany is definitely on our list and once we firm up dates I'll let you know (roughly) when we'll be there.

Your list of likes sounds a lot like ours, except for the horse. They are far too tall, and don't have handlebars.

Cheers, Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hi there,
first the invitation for Simon: We're living in Germany near Cologne. If you're coming our way, we would be happy to meet you and share some beers with you. If this goes into your plans, let us know and we'll contact you for more details. If you're going to visit Germany, I think we could give you a lot of good tips where to go ...
Bluesman is mostly right. I'm a lucky guy as Iris is fond of the same things as me: our sleddogs and cats, our motorcycles, the old house (that still needs a lot of work and money), (progressive) rock-music, wildlife. I wish, I could afford a horse for her. She went riding in her youth and I think, she'd still do today if she had a horse of her own. But 'horse-sharing' is very difficult, it seems to me that horse-people are the most difficult and individual characters. Iris is a very talented rider as I've seen several times.
Kind regards, Bambi
Simon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #12018
ztaj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
Do your wivies give you headaches like this?
Damn sad now... ....
No.....
MrsJ is happy to sit on the back, so long as I don't start scraping bits of bike on the ground when cornering that earns a slap round the helmet
She was happy enough riding across Aus on the back, even rode some of it herself, when I got to bored with the long straights.
But... I think 250 k's would be about her limit on the Big. She has her own gear which fits well and trusts me to not fall off (dunno how that happened ) Having a top box or something to lean against helps too.

ztaj screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 08:39 PM
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #12019
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
I need some advice!

I am going to refurbish my 800 and make it to something a bit different than what it is now
First step is to paint the frame. What is the best way to prepare the surface? Some sort of wire brush on the black&decker?
Do I have to completely remove the old paint? Same applies to the engine. Your lights are mostly welcome!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #12020
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Rememberance

anniversary of pearl harbour

lest we forget

ausibatla: ROAYL AUSTRALIAN ENGINEERS (retired)
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #12021
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I am going to refurbish my 800 and make it to something a bit different than what it is now
First step is to paint the frame. What is the best way to prepare the surface? Some sort of wire brush on the black&decker?
Do I have to completely remove the old paint? Same applies to the engine. Your lights are mostly welcome!
you will never get all the paint off ,best thing is to get it blasted and powder coasted ,heres mine before and after

spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #12022
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen View Post
you will never get all the paint off ,best thing is to get it blasted and powder coasted ,heres mine before and after
Looks fabulous spen.
Was the engine sandblasted and powdercoated too? Did you have to break the engine into parts, or was it blasted and painted intact?
Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #12023
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
I never used sandblasting and got ALL paint off.
Chemical paint remover, brush et voila.
Clean as a whistle
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #12024
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 318
the engine was just cleaned and painted , if your gonna get the frame blasted and coated cover up the headstock with large washers and a bolt throw them and thread old bolts into every where you can on the frame . otherwise you will spend a month cleaning out all the threads again,same with suspension linkages and swing arm .block everwhere you dont want powder coated

spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #12025
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks again. Loud and clear!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #12026
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
France in early summer.

Gentlemen I seek your advice!

As i sit here the rain is horozintal and its colder than a well diggers ass out there
Like most two wheelers my mind turns to next summer where i see myself in France suppin a beer and enjoying a cigar next to the DR as it cools down after a days riding in the sun

Exact date is not set but early summer is desirable. Available time for me is limited, perhaps 5 nights in France max. This means where ever i go it would be best if it were a days ride from the Cherbourg or Roscoff to maximise fun saddle time rather than crunching miles
It would have to be somewhere with enjoyable roads to use as a base for the duration. Anyone know of such a spot? Hostel or B and B would be prferable as it would mean carrying less gear but would camp if it was in a great place.

Anyone want to meet up? Would be great to see more Bigs and if we got a few together it would be great craic.
Cheers
the_sad_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #12027
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Hello to all!
@ Spen: I wasn't aware, that my frame is in such good condition! I had seen your pics before but it seems, I have concentrated too much on your fantastic results. Please don't be angry, but that frame looked as if it was on a one-way-street to the scrap-yard. You turned a wreck into a jewel!

Simon says ( ):
'Thanks for the invitation Bambi, it's much appreciated as local knowledge is a huge advantage when travelling. Luckily unlike Silent Hunter my wife Suzanne is coming with me and we'll probably cover 25,000 km plus. Germany is definitely on our list and once we firm up dates I'll let you know (roughly) when we'll be there.
Your list of likes sounds a lot like ours, except for the horse. They are far too tall, and don't have handlebars.'

Let me know, when and in which way your planning develops and I'll try to lend a helping hand. Perhaps, we could do some miles together.
Concerning the horses: You forgot to mention their power and the missing of brakes!

A short story: Iris and me visited some friends nearby. On our way home at midnight through a forest we passed a meadow where some horses (4 - 6) are kept. They had found a hole in the fence and stood in the middle of the road. Being members of our local animal help-service we stopped the car and activated our warning lights. Iris went towards the horses and grabbed one by it's harness. Talked to it and calmed it down. Some other passing car-drivers stopped too and helped securing the road. I searched and found the hole in the fence and Iris led 'her' horse to that gap and through it. The others followed with little effort from ourselves. We shut the hole with some big branches and everything was save again. A big bloke, who had helped with his torch and secured us against oncoming traffic said to Iris, that he never would have been brave enough to get that big animal and lead it back into the fence in that way. He stood one head above her and might have been twice as heavy. I think, experience with horses is the key. I drive our sled-dog-team (once 6, now just 3 dogs, 3. generation in the meantime). But I'm not sure if I could handle and ride a horse. I love them but I'm very careful when it comes to handling them.

Kind regards, Bambi
Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #12028
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
could be tempted
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #12029
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sad_punk View Post

As i sit here the rain is horozintal and its colder than a well diggers ass out there
Like most two wheelers my mind turns to next summer where i see myself in France suppin a beer and enjoying a cigar next to the DR as it cools down after a days riding in the sun

Exact date is not set but early summer is desirable. Available time for me is limited, perhaps 5 nights in France max. This means where ever i go it would be best if it were a days ride from the Cherbourg or Roscoff to maximise fun saddle time rather than crunching miles
It would have to be somewhere with enjoyable roads to use as a base for the duration. Anyone know of such a spot? Hostel or B and B would be prferable as it would mean carrying less gear but would camp if it was in a great place.

Anyone want to meet up? Would be great to see more Bigs and if we got a few together it would be great craic.
Cheers
Well, since I done over 30 000 kms in France on 2 wheels avoiding peages and national roads where possible...I know. 1000 of spots :)

What you looking for? Twisty mountain type, best of Bretagne or Alps or ....
Asphalt? Good paved roads?

I suggest Bretagne as most likely as it is REALLY close. There I also have close friend who knows every cool biking road there.

On other hand ride to Alps really matter of 1 day...long 1 day...
so - what you looking for exactly?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #12030
Oldboots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sad_punk View Post

Cheers
Ok, heres the answer ~http://www.peteandrusty.com/

Hour and a half from Cherbourg direct but much better to follow the west coast.
The Dr boys from the UK used it last year as a base for" OTT 3 We shall fight them on the Beaches tour."
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...the%20beaches/

Excellent all round. 1st week of June cant do as am in Spain. Other than that I could be there.

Old boots
Oldboots is offline   Reply With Quote