Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #12196
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Happy New Year

Happy New Year and many miles to everyone

Rob, sorry for the Wilbers sucked. It has been on my wish list for a long time. I will get one some day when I have finished front end conversion... still need some parts like caliper etc but could not resist to do some test fitting

btw the Dakar is on, go go go
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #12197
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Mait , I just finished wrapping it back up for posting it to Melbourne in ozz.
the new forks look sweet and the colour of your bike., don,t forget to check your clearences with the front mud guard and crash bars.
I did a few big jumps yesterday, hence the blown wilbers, and noticed a little bit of paint was missing on my front guard, it had just touched the crash bar allen head bolts, only a small nick so right on the limit..
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #12198
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Happy 2012 to one and all peeps!

Rob, bad buzz man
Probably something as simple as an undertorqued seal head.
Can you see if the main seal has backed out very slightly fron the can? Not sure if wilbers use an interference fit or threaded here.
Have a gawk at the rod itself for damage (longshot)

I know of another aftermarket manuafacturer who recently had a few issues with threaded seal heads backing off slightly under hard use and loosing oil and gas. Easy fix.

Never sure do wilbers ship the shock built or does the agent build it? Id like to know it was built and assembled in Germany.

Whats the craic with the intiminators? How are you getting on with them and would you feel the need to tweek them? Also did ye use the 5wt ams oil with them?
the_sad_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #12199
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Nice work so far, Mait! Keep it up!
When I remember those rusty tanks you started with ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #12200
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,901
Wilbers update

A morning ride home from the firehouse with about a 100 mile detour through a few trails proved the money for the Wilbers was very well spent. (as long as the oil stays in mine..sorry, Rob)

The heavy sharp hits from the back that tended to pitch the bike onto its nose are gone.....they feel more like hitting foam rubber now.....still noticable but I'm not staring at the headlight any more.

The front also (oddly enough) feels much improved even though nothing has been done other than the Intiminators I added last year.

Landing from a 3 ft or so jump has changed dramatically. The Big used to land rather like a piano....now it lands like a big overstuffed chair (still a bit large but my dental fillings will stay in place.

Never got it to bottom so I guess I can add more air (distance above the ground) as confidence builds.

Now I'm thinking about adding the front end from a DRZ400. But first I have to collect parts for building a new head, piston and cylinder.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #12201
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=the_sad_punk;17634599]Happy 2012 to one and all peeps!

Rob, bad buzz man
Can you see if the main seal has backed out very slightly fron the can? Not sure if wilbers use an interference fit or threaded here.

I know of another aftermarket manuafacturer who recently had a few issues with threaded seal heads backing off slightly under hard use and loosing oil and gas. Easy fix.

Never sure do wilbers ship the shock built or does the agent build it? Id like to know it was built and assembled in Germany.

Whats the craic with the intiminators? How are you getting on with them and would you feel the need to tweek them? Also did ye use the 5wt ams oil with them?[/QUO

Colum the paper work that came with the shock sais it was built in Germany, I did not see any damage to the shaft but I did not look to hard I just wiped the dirt of it in discust and repacked it last night for posting, and put the standard shock with a heavier worth spring back on the bike.
No ams oil came with the intiminators so I used motal 5wt and wilbers front springs and like you said no spacers, I am very happpy with the intiminators as sent it is very hard to believe for so little money how they transform the bike, with hessler fork brace, intiminators , wilbers springs, you can,t find a better set up.
With a full tank of fuel or 1/3 of a tank it makes no difference just beautifull, best forks on a bike I have ever had .
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #12202
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Ray don,t bother with other forks you will have to tweak them too why stuff arround . Colum thinks his forks are better than his 950 or 990 KTM now thats saying something .

robmoto screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 03:48 AM
Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #12203
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
A morning ride home from the firehouse with about a 100 mile detour through a few trails proved the money for the Wilbers was very well spent. (as long as the oil stays in mine..sorry, Rob)

The heavy sharp hits from the back that tended to pitch the bike onto its nose are gone.....they feel more like hitting foam rubber now.....still noticable but I'm not staring at the headlight any more.

The front also (oddly enough) feels much improved even though nothing has been done other than the Intiminators I added last year.

Landing from a 3 ft or so jump has changed dramatically. The Big used to land rather like a piano....now it lands like a big overstuffed chair (still a bit large but my dental fillings will stay in place.

Never got it to bottom so I guess I can add more air (distance above the ground) as confidence builds.

Now I'm thinking about adding the front end from a DRZ400. But first I have to collect parts for building a new head, piston and cylinder.
What i tell ya
Old 01-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #12204
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=robmoto;17637277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sad_punk View Post
Happy 2012 to one and all peeps!

Rob, bad buzz man

Whats the craic with the intiminators? How are you getting on with them and would you feel the need to tweek them? Also did ye use the 5wt ams oil with them?[/QUO

Colum the paper work that came with the shock sais it was built in Germany, I did not see any damage to the shaft but I did not look to hard I just wiped the dirt of it in discust and repacked it last night for posting, and put the standard shock with a heavier worth spring back on the bike.
No ams oil came with the intiminators so I used motal 5wt and wilbers front springs and like you said no spacers, I am very happpy with the intiminators as sent it is very hard to believe for so little money how they transform the bike, with hessler fork brace, intiminators , wilbers springs, you can,t find a better set up.
With a full tank of fuel or 1/3 of a tank it makes no difference just beautifull, best forks on a bike I have ever had .
Of course, your right sure i didnt i read the booklet that came with my own wilbers too and twas assembled in Germany.
I wouldnt worry about it at all (other than the obvious hassles it caused you that is). Wilbers appear iron clad on any and all warrenty claims i understand. Betcha it was a nicked seal or seal head backed out, very forgivable and happens on any shock, even gold coloured Swedish ones

Interesting to hear you mention motul5wt Rob. Was that by chance or did you research that?
Either way i believe you hit upon one of the few oils that is directly comparable to the AMS 5wt oil as used by ricor in the development/tuning of the widgets.
'Weights' on sunspension fluid bottles is non the same across brands believe it or not and the widgets are verry sensitive to viscosities as i found out on the capo.
Have a look under 'suspension fluids' here http://www.intiminators.com/suzuki-d...timinators.php
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #12205
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Colum I saw that 5wt oil was recomended and thats all the bike shop had just a fluke .
I have read before about different brands of fork oil and they are not all the same scale of things, and when tweeking you own forks allways use the same brand .
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #12206
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,901
I've somehow lost track of my DR fork records.

What shims are you using in the Intiminators. If my brain is working correctly, I think they shipped with 4 - 0.12 shims and I removed one.

I think I'm using 3 - 0.12 shims at present.

Rob do you remember to what level your fork oil was filled?

Ladder106 screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 10:55 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #12207
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Standard tune is

All 0.30mm.
I have removed one and its very nice indeed with 5wt ams.
Check the packaging yours came in Rob willya? Betcha its 5x.30mm.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #12208
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
got the motul 5.so have pulled the forks off new/old oil out and another good clean out..letting them drain of every last drop overnight..will put them back together tomorrow with new oil...should i cut the spacers down as suggested in instructions...wonder if it will make much difference to the performance
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #12209
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

I put mine in as they came they are perfect, I put oil in by the manual in cc,s less a bit but will have to check a mark on the container ,slepy in got to go to work, sorry will tell you later .
Lars I will do pay pal when I get home for you I am running late.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #12210
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Lars I will do pay pal when I get home for you I am running late.
Rob, don't get yourself in a tizzy ;)

Cheers,
LarS

BTW: Anyone 's got detailed pictures from the intiminators?
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote