Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #12856
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
I bought my first DR750 back in 1988 and had to sell it in 1998 to fund my Australian Safari entry. I told the guy I sold it to that if he ever wanted to sell it again, to call me.........

Then, after nearly 15 years, yesterday came the call!
I'm going to have a look at it tonight, but I'm buying it back no matter what!!!!!
God knows where I'll get the money................

Anyway, until I get it back, here's a pic of what it looked like not long before I sold it.

Wow. Congratulations. Now you only one here except couple of folks in Germany who got factory-race kit DR!
I still remember asking you some questions about your DR few years back! :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #12857
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herr View Post
Ladder

Thanks for the reply. I saw that 75 V(volts) at 5000 RPM in the shop manual that came with my bike and I totally don't understand it. After I posted my questions I did a search and found a post by bluesman stating that the alternator output was 200 watts. I have warm & Safe Gen 4 jacket that draws 96 watts(7.5 amps X 12.8 volts) so the 200 watt capacity should be plenty to run the jacket and headlights at the same time. Come to think of it, I have a 04 DRZ400S and the Clymer manual says the alternator output for it is 200 watts. I rode that bike during the winter with the W&S jacket with no problem and the headlight stays on all the time on it. I sure would like to be a mouse in the Suzuki factory and see if the alternator is the same for the DR750 and DRZ400S. At any rate, I am sure some of the other fellows will chime in. - Bob
75 Volt at 5000 rpm is no-load performance...won't do us much good to go by...My 200 watt info based on information, given to me by one of my friends, real expert in all electrics after looking at DR generator and taking some measurements using external load that are beyond my understanding I hate to be involved with any "electrics" on bike
Please note, that DR big using separate circuit/part of stator for ingnition cycle, e.g. those 200 (that's minimum at 5000 according to that friend of mine) watt are all usable. Replace taillight with LED, indicators with LED and you will save LOADS of watts.

P.S. that's 200 watt after RR, e.g. on 12 volt circuit.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #12858
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Page 10-7 of manual confirms it BTW - 200 watts at 5000 rpm
Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #12859
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
As per the Aussie thread, here's the deal:

The deal is done!
I tried to take a couple of photos with my phone, but obviously I've got no idea about taking pictures and they didn't work...........

The story is a common one. The guy I'm buying it off started a rebuild and lost momentum. The engine is apart and has been for a few years. But all the cool stuff it there and it's pretty much ready to reassemble.

It will be back 'home' in a couple of weeks.

Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #12860
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
As per the Aussie thread, here's the deal:

The deal is done!
I tried to take a couple of photos with my phone, but obviously I've got no idea about taking pictures and they didn't work...........

The story is a common one. The guy I'm buying it off started a rebuild and lost momentum. The engine is apart and has been for a few years. But all the cool stuff it there and it's pretty much ready to reassemble.

that is one sweet lookin bike
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #12861
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Page 10-7 of manual confirms it BTW - 200 watts at 5000 rpm
Thanks blues man. I was able to find your Dec. 2009 post on this subject by searching the word "watts". Are you referring to a Suzuki owners manual or some other brand? I have the Suzuki service manual for this bike but it only has 7 chapters and does not state alt. output. I usually pick up aClymers manual for my bikes as I find they seem to be written for amateur mechanics. The factory service manuals seem to be written for trained mechanics. - Bob

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #12862
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks blues man. I was able to find your Dec. 2009 post on this subject by searching the word "watts". Are you referring to a Suzuki owners manual or some other brand? I have the Suzuki service manual for this bike but it only has 7 chapters and does not state alt. output. I usually pick up aClymers manual for my bikes as I find they seem to be written for amateur mechanics. The factory service manuals seem to be written for trained mechanics. - Bob
This is Suzuki Workshop Manual, e.g. not Clymer but you only have part of it.
The 7 chapter one covers first DR750 SR41.
Complete manual covers SR41,42,43 up to 1997.
So - 200 at 5000 is figure for DR800 SR43, BUT - DR750 expected no-load minimal output is 75 Volt and DR800 65 Volt, e.g. I seriously doubt SR41 generator output is less than SR43.
Please note - this first 7-chapter manual also specifying incorrect valve clearances. This had been corrected later, as exhaust valve seats can get burned.
Current clearances recommended are (from memory) 0.08-0.13 intake and 0.15-0.20 exhaust.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #12863
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,923
Quote:
all the cool stuff it there and it's pretty much ready to reassemble.

What was included in the Suzuki Factory Race Kit???

What exactly is all the cool stuff. Are those Honda XR forks? They certainly look like a Honda front axle attachment. Interesting to see an Ohlins sticker from 15 years ago.

I'd love to see how the ICO and route box is mounted.

I'm more than satisfied with the power of the bikes - just curious about what the factory once provided

.....and what you had to do to get one.

----------------------------

Shipping company should be picking up my SR43 today from Loaderdude in Florida. Hopefully 5 days away

Lars has dual headlamps enroute from his magic workshop

So I'm like a kid before Christmas. We had our first 80 (27) deg day yesterday and everything is green and blossoming...great time for riding.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 10:38 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #12864
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
The factory kit came with a different camshaft, larger oil cooler, close ratio gearbox, different crankcases, kickstart assembly, sand cast clutch cover and solid footpegs. Interstingly, no suspension stuff was included so I fitted an XR front end and Ohlins shock on the rear. I also fitted a Honda rear wheel.
I kept the nav gear when I sold the bike, but it got lost when my shed burnt down about 10 yeas ago.
It was mounted to the bars, but once I rebuild it, I'll mount it behind the screen.

Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #12865
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Seems like ladder has actual got on the magic bus ... but remember the lines 'I don't care how much I pay!'
All the best to you, much fun, good music and kind regards, Bambi
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #12866
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Bambi,

Whatever happend to those music CDs you wanted for your friend?

Tony T.

Great that you were able to buy your old machine back. Please photograph the rebuild.

Sad that there were no side tanks in the factory kit although the kickstarter would be interesting to use.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #12867
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 266
Bluesman, thanks for the heads up on the service manual. Mine had the wrong clearance numbers in it. The day I bought the bike the PO commented that he had checked the valves several times while he owned it and they were always in spec. Think I will message him and see what numbers he used. Bike has about 29000K on it and ran great during a 200 mi. Ride yesterday. - Bob

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #12868
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bluesman, thanks for the heads up on the service manual. Mine had the wrong clearance numbers in it. The day I bought the bike the PO commented that he had checked the valves several times while he owned it and they were always in spec. Think I will message him and see what numbers he used. Bike has about 29000K on it and ran great during a 200 mi. Ride yesterday. - Bob
It would run good with either clearances...it is more of precaution in long run.
I think if you put them in smaller range of adjustment recommended in next year manual it will do it. To be honest my DR did not had any serious deviations in clearances each time I checked...usually in specs.
29 000 is fresh for DR :) you got yourself very nice bike indeed!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #12869
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Hi ladder,
as I mentioned sometime ago, I didn't get your reply to my question. If you still have a copy, could you please place it in the private mails here? We had been sure that they don't send them to Germany but maybe, we just didn't find it ...
If you know where to look, your help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks and kind regards, Bambi
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #12870
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Bambi,

Check your PMs