Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #12886
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
A question for those in the Big know.

I did my first real ride on my 1990 800 Big today.

I rode close to 600kms of highway with only about 40kms of city. Fuel mileage wasn't what I would have expected with an average of 7.5l / 100kms. My ktm 950 gets about 6.5 and klrs are closer to 5.
Would mileage be better if I geared it up as I"m running about 4750 rpm at 120kph.

I'll be doing a 3-4000 km trip in july with it so I'd like to get it sorted before then.

The bike did run very well and smooth though even though it was only about 3C brrr. Happy with it so far.

Thanks in advance.
What size sprockets do you have on your bike ?
From memory I was doing about 100km/hr at 4250 rpm and getting around 17 km/L I would go and have a look but it means moving 3 bikes to get the Big out from it's hiding place. I recall having a slightly smaller front sprocket though
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #12887
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers

Oddometer: 165
Quote:

I rode close to 600kms of highway with only about 40kms of city. Fuel mileage wasn't what I would have expected with an average of 7.5l / 100kms. My ktm 950 gets about 6.5 and klrs are closer to 5.
Would mileage be better if I geared it up as I"m running about 4750 rpm at 120kph.

I'll be doing a 3-4000 km trip in july with it so I'd like to get it sorted before then.

The bike did run very well and smooth though even though it was only about 3C brrr. Happy with it so far.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Finndian,

I'm running 15/47 sprockets, stock is 15/48. On a recent trip to Copper Harbor (about 1900 km total) I averaged 4.7 l/100km, riding mostly at about 100 to 105 km/h actual. Speedo reads about 5% high, odometer is about 0.5% low.

One tooth on the rear isn't going to make much difference, and even your higher speed shouldn't be that great a factor. But maybe the combination of higher speed and near freezing temperatures. Even my injected bikes typically get about 10% worse fuel economy at 0 vs 20C.

I see you took the BIG to the Soo. Practice run to iSplats ?
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #12888
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Yes it can be done, my mudguard is made of a single piece of aluminium bent to fit the bottom of the undercarriage, attached to the frame using 4 pieces of L-shaped brackets.

And to prevent the heat from the exhaust from being conducted to the aluminium plate, I lined the edges with heat wrap.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #12889
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

My DR800 1989 model also has the same lousy fuel consumption. 13.5km/L
I tried lowering the fuel to air mixture to make it leaner by tuning the carb, now it doesn't start, used up all my battery. I will have to retune it by trial and error while push starting. again.... over labour day. Argh!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #12890
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart At Play View Post
Hi Finndian,

I'm running 15/47 sprockets, stock is 15/48. On a recent trip to Copper Harbor (about 1900 km total) I averaged 4.7 l/100km, riding mostly at about 100 to 105 km/h actual. Speedo reads about 5% high, odometer is about 0.5% low.

One tooth on the rear isn't going to make much difference, and even your higher speed shouldn't be that great a factor. But maybe the combination of higher speed and near freezing temperatures. Even my injected bikes typically get about 10% worse fuel economy at 0 vs 20C.

I see you took the BIG to the Soo. Practice run to iSplats ?
my gearing is stock then as its got 15/48.
Looks like i'm a little over 13k per liter if you figure it that way.
Maybe I'll try a new air filter and see if that helps.
It runs really well though so I don't think anything its wrong

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #12891
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
I think all our bikes are at the age in which they would benefit from replacing the O-rings and possibly the grey slide quides in the carbs.

There is an O-ring on the float support assembly, one around the float valve seat and one on the bottom of the grey plastic slide guides.

At least that way you are fairly certain that the fuel is only moving through the metered ports (the ones with jets) rather than sneaking around the worn or cracked O-rings
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #12892
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hi there,
I get a little bit more than 15 kms from one litre of gas. Usually, I ride my 750 at something around 120 km/h. This reads 5.250 rpm. That equals 6,5 l/100 km, not bad in comparison to the big amount of experience in the German Big-forum. My mates there are always talking of 6 to 8 litres for 100 kms. Getting more kms or miles per litre would mean you have to redesign the gas-feed of the engine - thus meaning to install efi and to tune it to it's best concerning power and fuel-consumption.
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #12893
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Sorry, I forgot to mention:
road-use and standard-gearing.
Regards, Bambi
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #12894
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I think all our bikes are at the age in which they would benefit from replacing the O-rings and possibly the grey slide quides in the carbs.

There is an O-ring on the float support assembly, one around the float valve seat and one on the bottom of the grey plastic slide guides.

At least that way you are fairly certain that the fuel is only moving through the metered ports (the ones with jets) rather than sneaking around the worn or cracked O-rings

Probably a good suggestion. I want to make sure it's a good runner as I plan to stash it in southern California at the end of my ride this summer to use as a winter getaway ride.

I'll wait til the weather warms up a bit and see what some more riding brings for mileage also.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #12895
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla View Post
A couple of photo's of robmoto and ausibatla on ausibatla's bikes. robmoto travelled from the east coast to the west coast of Australia for a visit.

Ready to go on our adventure ride. Got about 5 kms then it rained so we returned home.

Cheers.
Your looking well mate... but I reakon you guys should've swapped bikes
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #12896
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 333
Ok a quick run down and some pics of my trip .We covered 850 miles from Friday to Monday .Boat into Troon ,up the coast to Dunoon and ferry across,towards Oban , Headed for Fortwilliam,up the A82 and over Invergarry on up the A87 to Dornie sunshine turned to snow over the pass and then sunshine again ,then took the road round Lochcarron over the pass and down into Applecross ,headed the coast road from there A832 to Ullapool and on up to Durness .Next morning we took a 42 mile single track road out of Durness over to Tongue down to Lairg down to Bonar bridge and headed for Inverness ,left there road down the single track road along Loch ness into Fort Augustus.Next day headed out to Oban and down to Troon for the boat.I have to say nearly all the miles were covered on small roads and hundreds done on single track roads.If you have a bike this is the polace to go,No traffic and amazing views ,the road down to Applecross is staggering and the same up into and out of Durness.

spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #12897
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Spen , amazing pictures now thats what I call moutains .
thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #12898
spen
on my arse

Our place maybe small but we still have amazing scenery ,Glad i could make you lot in OZ a bit jealous as i am when i look at your pics
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #12899
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
i love that part of the world...did you ever call in here spen??

drovers inn loch lomond

sorry quality not great few years ago with a crap camera
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #12900
spen
on my arse

no Kyle we kept more to the west ,must have ridden over 200 miles on single track roads ,over the pass to Applecross is amazing , DR"s would be great up there