Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #12961
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Certainly did not mean to imply that the 43 is no good off-road. Only that over time it seems every manufacturer seems to "chicken-out" with their DualSport machines in that they always seem to get more "streetified" (nice work, eh)

I've never seen a bike that got more off - road oriented over time.

As far as fuel load goes, the DR is a quantum leap better than the Africa Twin. I really don't notice a full tank on the DR.....with the AT it's very top heavy with full tank.

Can't handle Gold, Lloyd, thanks anyway. Any photos of these striping kits your referring to?
Yep, this is what I did not like about AT too.
But to be honest what I meant - we never ever needed whole 24 liters of SR43 tank, I mean - I never ever needed it.
We had 1200 GSA with us (good machine, let rider work light where we have to rely on pure skill, I am impressed) but his 33 liter tank was kinda...pointless :) If I'd had 20 liters I would not have problem either.
One easy day my DR did straight 4.6 liter per 100 km for whole day!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #12962
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
TonyT,

I'm coveting your right side case and kick-starter....very nice.
You make it sound so dirty..........

Yeah, it's a cool thing but the best bits are inside the engine. e.g. close ratio gearbox, camshaft etc.

When I get into the restoration, I'll share some pics.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #12963
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Tony T glad she,s back home, and still in good nick looks like it won,t take much to get it back to its former glory.

Ray you got the black limosine model , orange like Lars has on his sr/42 or yellow like mine I think would be good .
Google POR 15 paint for frame and hubs etc but you will have to use a proper filter mask and gogles minimum.
Don,t forget to take off all the splatters from the welding done by suzuki, all those little prill thingy,s .
2 pack enamel for the plastics, but make sure you use what they call plastic primer before applying the colour coats.

Blue now that confirms it I just might have the best off road bike,
Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #12964
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Blue if you can source 1mm over size rings I have a new piston on offer, I could not get the rings down under.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #12965
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Rob, no kidding - sumo DR with WP is superb on dry offroad. Just superb.
The only drawback on yours is cast wheels. I even changed wheels to spoked on my friend Vstrom for this tour.
Kind of offroad-y ride we had one day there just....unexpected.
Imagine that.
Former mountain twisty-canyon road. Quite wide. Formerly paved. Formerly bumpy.
All hard layer looks like it was bombed by many small bombs. Various shape potholes, 0.5 to 1.5 meter in diameter, with sharp vertical edges, 0.15 to 0.5 meter deep, 10 to 20 cm from each other, randomly. Remains of tarmac covered with clay and small stones, edges crushed and road self-widened to unpaved sides covered in gravel on clay.All this so dusty, that when you coming out of corner you can't see a thing + sun straight into eyes.
This was our first real encounter. All 25 cm of my suspension worked to save wheels, as we had no other way but leg it - wind motor standing on pegs in 2nd or 3rd and pull handlebar up on most extreme holes.
One of our team members had (in the past) similar experience on tour with his son on Vstroms with cast wheels and both of them cracked wheels. Not just bent rims, I mean cracked alongside rim. Both had to limp home and buy new wheels. My friend on 650 Vstrom was very happy I converted his strom to spokes.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #12966
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Blue if you can source 1mm over size rings I have a new piston on offer, I could not get the rings down under.
Same here, they do not sell rings separately
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #12967
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Yes you are right no flexability in my rims when I first bought it it had those wheels in it and the front one had a flat spot about 100 mm long and I had the rim re rolled and now it is good.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #12968
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Just took tank off and plugs out.
Damn. They are whit-ish dry with slight sign of running lean.
Where all the oil go...
No oil in airbox. No oil on engine anywhere. No oil anywhere yet it took 5 liters of it! OK, taking into account current level - 4.5 liters. For 3500+ km. WAY too much, I used to have 0.4 liter per 100 oil loss before top end work.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #12969
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

What brand of oil, use a torch and look in the plug hole at top dead centre or compression stroke yuo may call it.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #12970
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Good idea - thanks. I surely will be able to see if there is loads of deposits on piston and then decide - I can put light in left plug hole and look through right one.

I used different oil on the trip to be honest, 10w50 synth - but I started with same one I used before....burned all spare 3 liters I had :( then topped with similar one.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #12971
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
harris 800

I made some enquiries about that harris 800 from a few pages ago.
it turns out that the bike is actually in germany and is priced somewhere in the 6000 to 8000 euro range.(he was not sure of the exact figure as he was out of the office).
shipping to australia is around $2000.
anyway it was only wishfull thinking on my part. might be a nice addition to your growing collection Ray.
Husaberg 350
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #12972
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Colleagues,
A bit of sad news. I disassembled my DR motor and I certainly killed freshly re-made head, valves and cylinder as it turns out.
Short summary - my carb leaked badly on way to Morocco in Spain. I literally fixed them standing in pool of water (rain) on fuel station. Unfortunately as I had no way to adjust level properly I made it badly lean.
Result - burned valves, hard deposit scratched cylinder, valve seats gone bad too.

Now.

I am selling my DR. For pieces or complete. I need urgently to raise money to finance new bike. I mean - new, non-DR bike. I do long distance trips and have no time and money to re-work my DR anymore. Mostly time is problem.
I have to go to Norway in August. I need money by then.

To remind you what I have

DR800 SR43A, engine in perfect order except cylinder, valve seats, piston and valves.
Rest is just fine.

Stock carbs, left one with problem - I do recommend to replace it.

Wilbers fully adjustable shock absorber, still on warranty. Won't be cheap, but considerably cheaper than new (650 Euros new)
WP extreme forks fully set for DR, with Beringer 4 pot caliper (no adaptors, direct bolt on), set of 17 inch supermoto wheels, 2 sets of stock wheels, one stock set adapted for WP extreme. It is all made in a way to allow you to change offroad wheels to sumo in 15 minutes.
Trailtech dashboard adapted for DR
Ex-Benelli tornado exhaust can, DYI link pipe and Holeshot stainless header
Rear LED light adapted for DR
Quite beaten crashbars DYI with different mount system, really strudy
Luggage racks adapted for Aprilia Pegaso panniers and panniers - a bit beaten up
DYI chain deflector for Sumo wheels and lower chain catcher based on RMZ450 block
16.5 Ah Motobatt battery, 4 weeks old and battery tray to accomodate it for DR
All rest of bits and pieces - frame, chassis, a bit beaten plastics, 2 fuel tanks, shedloads of parts from second DR, engine from second DR (missing piston and valves), RR from DR etc. etc. etc.
If you wish to make bulk purchase of all that - PM me.

I am VERY sad to do it, but I have to be realistic. I keep piling up work and bikes while really I need just 1 bike.
I still believe DR is exceptional machine and if I'd have a bit of time I would never part with it.

I feel like sh..t now. Really sick.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #12973
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Hungarian Meeting

Hey all Big-Riders,

A short video of our 3-days meeting in Hungary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACyJ...1&feature=plcp
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #12974
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,923
Bluesman,

I feel your pain. For myself, I've learned that I have to allow a day or two for frustration to settle down before I can really make any rational decisions.

Please take a day or two to let your mind work through the problem. Your thinking may change.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #12975
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you. I must be honest - it is day two of thinking. I got to move on. I keep on riding bikes for too longvand cant let them go... And here you have to deregister and hand over plate from bike when you stop insurance or it eats money even if not ridden. I am cancelling insurance tomorrow to cut off turning back.
I just wish I can sell whole bulk to someone who appreciates it...