Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #12991
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,770
Florek, nice pic,s, and some great air under the 800 you certainly have some height great photo .

Blue sad news about your bike, have you really thought this through eg, top end rebuild new gaskets machineing and HRT jetted tm36 pumpers only guessing with funny euro money about 1,200 euro you would know the amount.
A lot less to borrow, but if you have made your mind up to get rid of it thats it I suppose .
A 800 XC would be my choice allso, down here they are allmost 17k and then add another 3k for farckles pluss interest . starts getting a bit expensive .
They are like a sr/41/42 you have to take the tank of to service the air cleaner, but uni filter have made a pre foam filter I believe to save changing it all the time.
Allso you will need a after market bash plate maybe tourteck do a better one as they bolt to the motor.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #12992
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Rob,
Thank you!

Yes, I made my mind up. Just been to bank - I can pull it. Going to Triumph dealer on Saturday to place order etc.
It is not even money to revive DR, it is more of...all together. I done probably 70 000 km on mine. Overall it is about 130 000 km this bike had. It was kept OK etc. but after 2 times I had problems in long trips I lost my faith. Irrationally, but I did. I want to treat myself to new bike once in lifetime Plus my wife made me promise to buy bike on warranty that I won't spend so much time with in garage...

Here is photos from tour. As you can guess those are only from road places. Offroad...well, cameras went to the dustproof bags after couple of "accidents" and were hidden in trunks. And one of guys managed to land off bike straight on his new Contour HD camera attached to helmet. We fixed it in the evening using screws I pulled out of cabinet in hotel

So roles go like that
Guy with GS1200 on photos - we elected him cameraman and he and I were usually last as most experienced.
Guy on Strom 650 in white jacket - navigator and french speaking public relations :)
Guy on KTM 690 - scout and electronic gadgets expert (communications etc.)
I - team mechanic and english speaking public relations as well as "master of explanation what we need using gesture language"

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/kickstarter-org/
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #12993
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okta View Post
Hey all Big-Riders,

A short video of our 3-days meeting in Hungary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACyJ...1&feature=plcp

Hey Okta, nice video.
When was the meeting?

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #12994
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluesman,

very impressive pictures... and sorry about your decision about the BIG / Tiger... Sad, but comprehensable...

Cheers,
LarS
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #12995
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Blue I just had a look at all of your pic,s looks like a great ride and very interesting places, I noticed that you had the DR apart quiet a few times no wonder you are a bit pissed off. .
Really I am a jealous fellow now.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #12996
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Lars have you got the 108 in and running..
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #12997
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Rob, not yet...

Piston and bored out cylinder are allready on my bench and waiting...
Them guys keeping me busy with headers & collector adaptors for SR43 ;)

Cheers,
LarS

BTW: Engine #14 arrieved at my place, with wrecked main bearings... A good nominee for swapping...
Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #12998
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Blue I just had a look at all of your pic,s looks like a great ride and very interesting places, I noticed that you had the DR apart quiet a few times no wonder you are a bit pissed off. .
Really I am a jealous fellow now.
Well...
Here is all cases:

1. Again leaking left carb via oring around float valve saddle, couple of hours before ferry to Morocco, in Spain. That's me on fuel station in Spain in pouring rain fixing it. This is despite I installed new Suzuki orings and seats and valve needles. Turns out with year hole in carb body got worn out a bit. I installed thicker O-ring (always have kit with me) and pushed it in so hard it stopped leaking. But I messed fuel level.
2. Fuel tank I had developed small leak around small pipe that connects to top of fuel tap. Age, nothing else to blame. Local mechanic welded it with brass - really brave guy, this is on freshly emptied tank!!!
3. When fixed bike on trailer we messed up front fender a bit. Simple matter of bolting back on.
4. Oil. It just ATE it like hell. 5 liter for 3500.

No other issues to be honest. I mostly opened DR sear to take tools out - to repair other 2 bikes. But this constant race "do I have enough oil not to block engine" drove me mad. Not being able to hit rev limiter? This is not biking, this is struggle!

Funniest part - the only panniers that did not create problem on ride where mine - simple plastic panniers and old kappa top box. No cracks when dropped, no unexpected "oh sh...t, my pannier just flew down road"
First I had to evade top box that flew off Katoom, then constant non-stop troubles with aluminium boxes on Vstrom, then bending them back after it went down...a lot. And top box cracked on weld on Vstrom.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #12999
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,833
Dont Be a Stranger

Bluesman,

I guess it's time now to encourage you to enjoy the experience of buying a brand-new motorcycle to the fullest.

Get those English guys to drop some decent suspension upgrades on your machine rather than buying it stock....word is...that is the machines only weak point.

....most importantly.....

You've made many friends here with your level-headed responses and vast knowledge base so please keep looking at this thread and keep posting here.

Quote:
We fixed it in the evening using screws I pulled out of cabinet in hotel
We need people who think like this.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #13000
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
First I had to evade top box that flew off Katoom, then constant non-stop troubles with aluminium boxes on Vstrom, then bending them back after it went down...a lot. And top box cracked on weld on Vstrom.
Soft bags are really the only way to do a serious off-road ride.

The grey Australian ones are my current favorite and saving to buy a set.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #13001
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, yes, you not going to get rid of me :)
I still service quite a few bikes of my friends...now wounded (bad luggage, broken gear switch lever) Vstrom 650 in my garage. My wheels upgrade held all just fine thou :) I am proud of it :)

Tiger 800XC got really cool suspension nowadays and proper 21-17 spoke wheels, so I am going to get XC, not regular 800. And there will be some farkle. But of course Brits thought about it well. I think I am about to spend...more than planned.
Crashbars, sump guard, Arrow exhaust (option, that does not void warranty!), headlight protector, windscreen adjuster - that's I think about it.

In the mean time - WP front forks and brakes from my DR booked, 2 sets of stock wheels booked.
Rest still available. I will sell all interesting parts to meet my target and whatever left can be made into "fellow DRers freebie presents pool" :)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #13002
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Soft bags are really the only way to do a serious off-road ride.

The grey Australian ones are my current favorite and saving to buy a set.
Absolutely. I think I will be installing soft bags on Tiger for any rides, that may even suggest offroad.
Those aluminium dead weight carriers on my friend Vstrom were unreliable and what is worst - half empty!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #13003
Jimmythechiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Hello all.

I've been riding the DR to work daily for the past few weeks,seems well suited. I rode it for a bit with the forks at factory recomended specs,but found that they were a bit soft,diving on hard braking and not handling our massive potholes so well. I raised oil height a bit (6.5 inch down,10 wt) and cut longer spacers (5 inch to replace 4 inch) The spacers were a bit reluctant to install,but doable.The fork is a lot firmer now,no more bobbing down on downshifting and braking.I've not had it off-road yet,but will soon.Rear preload was increased also,to level it out.Have not set sag yet,just tried to match the front.The seat height went up a bit,its now 35.5 inch.
Jimmythechiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #13004
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

By installing longer spacers you increased preload but also it shortened suspension travel.
I think best is to get stiffer springs, as DR definitely does need every inch of suspension travel...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #13005
DedekDR
n00b

Oddometer: 5
DR and KYB (Kayaba)

http://img11.rajce.idnes.cz/d1102/6/...7971.jpg?ver=2
DedekDR is offline   Reply With Quote