User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #13021
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Electrical throttles

There are two words that scare me about the XC (and I guess every other new bike out there )

STEPPER MOTOR

I just can't seem to get my head around having some tiny electrical motor opening (and closing which may be even more important) the throttle for me.

LUDDITE !!!

............yep..............sorry
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #13022
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
We are so alike Ladder!

I decided to break myself and go for new bike and one of reasons was precisely that - my luddism!
I am improving myself!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #13023
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
By installing longer spacers you increased preload but also it shortened suspension travel.

Well.......maybe......

The only real way to know is to remove the springs and measure the travel available in the fork leg. (Fork Travel)

Then measure all the spaces between the coils of the spring and add them up to get (Spring Travel)

If ST is greater than FT the difference will tell you how much you can preload the spring before it coil-binds before the forks reach full compression. In general you want the fork internals to stop the fork (hydraulically) before the spring coil binds.

But like all rules this is done for competition tuned bikes when trying to consistently use all available travel on the worst part of the course. In reality our bikes only use full travel in a very short part of their lives so setting up something that coil-binds first is not really that bad.

However, when the fork does coil-bind, it's a pretty harsh hit and will really sting your hands on the bars and sometimes even make you loose your grip at a time when you need it the most.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #13024
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

true....if travel was shorter than let say 2/3 of spring lenght (kinda rough rule) then probably no coil bind expected...
Honestly speaking - recalling our Morocco offroad - even idea of coil bind on those potholes makes me scared...I'd have somersault together with bike.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #13025
Jimmythechiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
true....if travel was shorter than let say 2/3 of spring lenght (kinda rough rule) then probably no coil bind expected...
Honestly speaking - recalling our Morocco offroad - even idea of coil bind on those potholes makes me scared...I'd have somersault together with bike.
Okay,so it looks like I need to do is take it to the local track and hop a few jumps,get a idea of the movement left usable...maybe zip-tie the fork or whatever,check how much travel I really use on a heavy landing? So far,on mixed street and logging roads,it seems decent. Possibly a bit less 'feel' on stuff like graded gravel with 1 or 2 inch rocks on the surface.The reduction in diving has made the bike a whole lot nicer to ride though,and can't beat the price.Haha.
Seperate topic,fuel use in city riding conditions is 5.12 l/100km,not too shabby? I'm going to search up all the things that have been done to free up airflow as I've got a minor off-idle flat spot with large throttle openings,and it looks like by the time I get that done,and source a gsxr oem muffler,it'll be tire time.
Thanks so much you guys for the input on these issues. I'm starting to see how this bike fills a certain niche pretty well.

I looked at the smiley selection.Pretty soon I may try one.
Jimmythechiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #13026
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resi View Post
Hey Okta, nice video.
When was the meeting?

Cheers,
Lars
From 27-28th to 30th of April.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #13027
d33t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
A little progress with assembly of my dr:
d33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #13028
BigRegdon
n00b

Oddometer: 4
"Stefan Heßler -winner of the +180kg class of the rally dalmatia 2012"

GRATULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BigRegdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #13029
robszombie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hi all, just testing the water really as I haven't made my mind up fully. But, it's come time to make some room in the shed & move on the DR Big. I've hardly ridden it in the last few years, so it's probably best to let it go to someone who'll get more use out of it. It's a 1991 in very good cond. with 26000 miles. it wears a Dep end can, has a Hagon rear shock, Hepco & Becker crash bars, other than that it's pretty standard. If anyone wants to make me an offer, work away, nothing silly mind!!! Regards, Robs.
robszombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #13030
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hello guys,
removing the springs to test maximum fork-travel: doesn't this lead to the measurement of too much travel? I think that the inserted spring, fully compressed, sets an earlier limit. Or am I wrong?
Curious greetings, Bambi
Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #13031
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRegdon View Post
"Stefan Heßler -winner of the +180kg class of the rally dalmatia 2012"

GRATULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congradulations HRT .
was wondering what other make of bikes are in this class and a over all placing just to compare how good the BIG,s are against the newer bikes.
Well done HRT.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #13032
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Well Done, Stefan

Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #13033
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello guys,
removing the springs to test maximum fork-travel: doesn't this lead to the measurement of too much travel? I think that the inserted spring, fully compressed, sets an earlier limit. Or am I wrong?
Curious greetings, Bambi
Limit normally set by hydro lock (contemporary forks) or hydro stop (earlier models) or sprung stop combo with hydro "slow down" process (usual piston forks - like on DR). E.g. it is not spring that stops forks. Normally stop should stop forks before spring reaching full compression.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #13034
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hello,
for some impressions of the Rallye Dalmatia take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/user/HesslerMotorsport
There's even much more interesting to be seen about Suzuki's DR Big.
Concerning the discussion about fork-travel: taking out the fork-springs seems to be a good way to see if there's enough space left between front-fender and your tank-/engine-guard. If there's still some space left, your front-wheel will never touch the guard. Right? And it would be a very rough starting-point for fork-tuning as it might be accurate enough. Right, too?
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 05-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #13035
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Hello Bambi, thanks for link it was good to sit in the cockpit of Stefans bike and see the riding style and here the throbbing sound of his bike.
cheers, Rob.