Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #13171
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Picked up it's paperwork yesterday. Since I got no way to transport it home from dealer I need to get it registered and numberplates (and insurance) and ride it from dealer to home. Really frustrating - it is just 20 kms from my place, but bike is there until saturday 16.
Since mine was really ordered and not taken off dealer floor - had to wait. But it is fast - got to dealer in 2 weeks.

Don't even mention THE WAIT. It's killing me.

I did some testriding with XC in the past and I can tell you - it felt to me just like my modified DR on steroids and totally smooth. Gearbox, motor - I loved it. But most importantly - with my humble 169 cm XC fits me precisely like my DR did. Ergos totally same. I do not need any raisers, lowerings etc. - just perfect. That's why I bought it.

Mine comes in black, with ABS, aluminium sump guard, crashbars and free package consisting of top box with passenger support, heated grips, touring adjustable screen. And all this 200 euros less than list price WITHOUT options. Can't go better than that.
I won,t mention the wait ha ha , sounds like you have don a really good deal, I do like the one that have a bronze/ gold on some of the plastics and if it did fall off the stand or something the plastics are cheap to replace so one of the magazines over sais they are called Trailzone if you google there is a report and some video there.
I allmost bought one the other day too it was a 2011 stamped one and black allso it was 1600 bucks off still sitting on the floor.
I just finished up putting the yellow bike back together and test ride tomorrow, 800 crank and tm carbs, had to come up to the house 10 pm here and minus 4 .
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #13172
TimGuyUK
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Welcome Tim, what is the year make of your bike .
Hey

Bikes reg in the UK on an H plate which is 1990 (I said 92 eariler didnt I, sorry)

Stock, blue and white. Has the 800s on the sides. Id post pictures, BUT, it would just be another blue and white stocker..

Need to get my finger out and get it going and modded.

Cheers

Tim
TimGuyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #13173
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

OK Tim your model would be a SR/ 42 year 1990, the link I put up is for the model after that which runs the same carbs but they have over flows on the bowls and different size jets.
try here, and click on carbs.
http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr800-19...274/partslist/
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #13174
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sad_punk View Post
Cheers Rowie,
Lars is sending another unmolested 13mm bearing and spacer. We'l see how we get along mate, cheers.
No worries! This is what the machinist made for me:

Decided to fit it on the inside of the bearing, so I JB Weld'ed it to the spacer.

This drawing from the workshop manual shows the clearance gap behind the right side bearing. If it was fully seated in the hole, the large spacer would not cause any problem.

Looks like it work ok. I will fit the wheel tomorrow and see how it goes.

Cheers,
David.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #13175
d33t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Finished bracket for front caliper:
d33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #13176
TimGuyUK
n00b

Quote:
OK Tim your model would be a SR/ 42 year 1990, the link I put up is for the model after that which runs the same carbs but they have over flows on the bowls and different size jets.
try here, and click on carbs.
http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr800-19...274/partslist/
Cool, thanks for that. Ill have a browse through.. some of the items are duplicated, should I be going to be biggest number or do they do different things. Im looking at the needle and mains here, there appears to be a few of them?

Tim
Old 06-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #13177
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Tim if you have your carbs apart grab a magnifying glass to read the numbers and letters, it should be the slide needles and the needle jets that need replacing as one fits inside the other and friction between the 2 where them out.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #13178
p3dro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
We did it!

A massive, massive thanks to Ladder106, RobMoto and TimGuyUK -
My carbs are clean as a whistle with new rubbers in them and back on the bike - fitted with no more leaks!
I also changed the air filter, oil and oil filter.
Needless to say I could not have done it without all your help - it was good fun and very satisfying work - I hope one day to have enough time & money to do these things at my leisure!!
One final question please, when I drained the oil, the metal grille under the plate had a tear in it and there was lots of what looked like pieces of black plastic in the the old oil - anything to worry about??
Cheers,
P
p3dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #13179
DrBigKid
Banned

Oddometer: 1
Gear issues

Hi Guys

Well the trustie DR has finally had a hiccup after 77.000 ks on the clock

I was riding along heading for a gravel playground when it all happened, Mr countershaft bearing decided he needed a break and so he did, the proceeding slippage has caused some gear damage and I am now working through the best solution to repair damage on three of the gear sets

Its going to be a big bill but I figure the old girl is worth it
DrBigKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #13180
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,923
Quote:
the metal grille under the plate had a tear in it and there was lots of what looked like pieces of black plastic in the the old oil - anything to worry about??
The pieces of black plastic are likely worn pieces from the cam or timing chain guides and nothing to worry about....depending on your definition of "LOTS" of pieces.

What I would worry about is the tear in the screen. The screen in an important fllter to prevent debris from reaching the oil pump and then going to other parts of the bike.

Happy we could help. Is it running well?

Be sure to get into the habit of turning the fuel off when the bike will be sitting for a while. At first you will likely forget to turn it on when starting and will wonder why the bike died after 100 M or so. That's much better than depending on the float seals to hold back all that fuel in the tank.....as long as you're not pulling out onto the motorway within the first few meters of home.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #13181
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

p3dro, as Ray sais some plastic may have come from the cam chain guides but I think more possibly the guide from the ballancer chain from some slack maintance in the past, can you show us pic,s. and have you adjusted the ballancer chain.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #13182
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

D33t, something to me just doesn,t look right here , arn,t brake calliper brackets usually all one piece .
Old 06-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #13183
TimGuyUK
n00b

Quote:
D33t, something to me just doesn,t look right here , arn,t brake calliper brackets usually all one piece .
I was gonna say but I didn't want to look an idiot first week.. Normally if the bracket is made like that you need to make two, one for side (front and back) so it sandwiches the leg mount.

Either that or it needs to be full billet incasing the leg mount.

How thicks the mount you've made?

Tim
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #13184
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Aussibattla / Lioyd or any one else, no who these 2 blokes are .
Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #13185
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

And he likes the BIG 750