User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 AM   #121
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 822
DR750 Rear shock

O.K. Tech question here. Does any body know how long the rear shock spring should be on a 750s ?
Mine's 256mm unloaded (out of the shock), Manual says 244mm factory standard setting,254 factory soft and 235 factory hard.
Also how much pressure should be applied to damper to push it in, with spring removed.
Is there a shorter cushion lever rod available to lift the rear of the bike about about 20mm
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #122
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Guys, in regards to D606 - pity, but they are not available in Western Europe. Not at all :( discontinued or something like it....
So I have MT21s now, have not tested yet. That's my second set of wheels.

800rider, as for taking on DR in twisties gimme good tarmac and I'll take my VTR1000 against my DR800 any time Let's not expect it to be more than it is - an excellent 50/50 bike in my opinion superior to many more recognized makes/models. And for tarmac it desperately need big wide 17 inch tyres like supercorsa, then we can realize it's excellent road manners into considerably fast bike. But on my 800 front slides WAY earlier than it does on my VTR, and low-down torque of VTR leaves no chance to DR. And my friend's GSXR K5 eats my VTR for breakfast. So...DR is good, but not that good. Perhaps you just much better rider than other guys - did you thought of that?

But as for other kind of tyres. I had excellent experience in this Norway tour with Michelin Anakee. And they seem to last good but at same time very grippy for DS tyre. I guess they will suck offroad thou...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #123
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Great pics good info and links too. Were these ever sold new in the States?
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #124
velofish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I had totally forgotten that this wonderfully mad monster of a bike ever went into production. I wish it were available here in the states. I want one. It's now my favorite ADV bike.

More pics would be good, too. You damm lucky furriners.

fish

velofish screwed with this post 09-22-2008 at 05:13 PM
velofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #125
ppe172
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Velofish,

Where are you located? They were sold in Canada (I have one) and I see them for sale up here from time to time. There are two for sale right now in Vancouver:

(same bike)
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/829191731.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/850809795.html
(another)
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/835746181.html

And another listed here in Ontario:

http://sympatico.msn.buysell.com/roo...OT_DR_BIG.aspx

Although I think it may be sold since it isn't on the listed sellers website anymore.

There also was one for sale recently in Hamilton.
ppe172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #126
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Was it only DR750 that Suzuki brought to Canada or also DR800?

Reason I am asking - just FYI - DR800 last generation, SR43 got better suspension (thicker forks and slightly longer swingarm), 54 bhp (unrestricted model), 62 NM torque, automatic decompressor and also DR800 have that "potential" trouble with starter gear fixed (similar to known one on DR650). IF anybody will be looking for DR and will have a choice - look for DR800S SR43. Handles better on pavement too...
But you will have to get rid of stock exhaust to trim weight down closer to DR750 (still will be more).Headstock on DR800 SR43 also a bit sturdier vs. DR750, front brake disk is 300 mm (+20 mm on SR43). On other hand 750 is better looking bike in my opinion. And have 5 more liters in the tanks. Also second generation of DR750 got rear disk brake vs. 1st gen with drum.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #127
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
O.K. Tech question here. Does any body know how long the rear shock spring should be on a 750s ?
Mine's 256mm unloaded (out of the shock), Manual says 244mm factory standard setting,254 factory soft and 235 factory hard.
Also how much pressure should be applied to damper to push it in, with spring removed.
Is there a shorter cushion lever rod available to lift the rear of the bike about about 20mm
What year is your 750? I have some factory workshop data for all DR Big models, will have a look today.

For lifting rear of bike - you want to lift rear without increasing preload I guess? Then your chain might eat through guide and swingarm...my did :(
Anyway - Hessler have alternative suspension links, but $$$. He certainly have weight-tuned springs for rear shock.
One of my Dutch friends replaced spring with one from CR500 and he is quite happy with result.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #128
velofish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppe172
Velofish,

Where are you located? They were sold in Canada (I have one) and I see them for sale up here from time to time. There are two for sale right now in Vancouver:

(same bike)
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/829191731.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/850809795.html
(another)
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/835746181.html

And another listed here in Ontario:

http://sympatico.msn.buysell.com/roo...OT_DR_BIG.aspx

Although I think it may be sold since it isn't on the listed sellers website anymore.

There also was one for sale recently in Hamilton.
Yet another reason to love Canada.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm in the USA. Has anyone imported one of these to the US?

Right now I'm tapped out, but this just might be worth selling a bike or two for. I really envy you guys.

fish

edit: Thanks for the reminder. I updated my profile to include location.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #129
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
What year is your 750? I have some factory workshop data for all DR Big models, will have a look today.

For lifting rear of bike - you want to lift rear without increasing preload I guess? Then your chain might eat through guide and swingarm...my did :(
Anyway - Hessler have alternative suspension links, but $$$. He certainly have weight-tuned springs for rear shock.
One of my Dutch friends replaced spring with one from CR500 and he is quite happy with result.
The bikes an 88 750, like I said in the first bit the unloaded length of the spring is 256mm and the factory "soft"setting is 254mm, not to much diffrence there.
Yes I'd like to lift the rear with out increasing pre load. infact I may even reduce it a bit
Is the spring from the CR longer than the stock DR spring? Also is it a softer ride ?
Swaped bikes with the missus on the weekend, she rides an XT Tenere and the hight difference was very noticable also the XT had a much softer ride. Something I'd like to achieve with the DR as it gets a bit hard on the back after about 700k's.
Any other suggestions greatfully accepted

ztaj
Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #130
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

I checked mine - I can not tell precisely and it is in fact DR800 but my spring unloaded (I found records I made when rebuilt bike) seem to be just several mm different from soft setting, so same as you have.
As for CR spring - I will ask owner this weekend as we going for offroad ride. He told me it is longer, but I did not ask for specifics.

I could not find data on shock rod resistance, sorry :(

Actually I think that best bet is to get Wilbers shock. It is expensive, but believe me - it worth it.
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/sho...roducts_id=154

I am soooo tired of manual preload adjustment with/without passenger, that I am almost sure this winter Wilbers remote height adjustable shock will have to come...

And as minimum - get spring from Hessler. It is 97 Euro, but he will get you spring you want...
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/sho...roducts_id=153
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #131
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I checked mine - I can not tell precisely and it is in fact DR800 but my spring unloaded (I found records I made when rebuilt bike) seem to be just several mm different from soft setting, so same as you have.
As for CR spring - I will ask owner this weekend as we going for offroad ride. He told me it is longer, but I did not ask for specifics.

I could not find data on shock rod resistance, sorry :(

Actually I think that best bet is to get Wilbers shock. It is expensive, but believe me - it worth it.
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/sho...roducts_id=154

I am soooo tired of manual preload adjustment with/without passenger, that I am almost sure this winter Wilbers remote height adjustable shock will have to come...

And as minimum - get spring from Hessler. It is 97 Euro, but he will get you spring you want...
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/sho...roducts_id=153
JUst had a look at the wilbers shock, seems like the way to go if mine is infact stuffed.
Not much point in putting a "new" spring on a sub standard shock.
Just need to convince the bank manager/missus that I do infact NEED it not just want it (then she'll probly want one too)
It will cost about a quarter of what the bikes worth.

By the way, what's the time difference between Belgium and New Zealand ?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #132
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

according to WP table their shock absorber have lenght limit (I assume extended) 409-419 mm for DR750.
I wonder if they have springs for DR...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #133
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

You may try Hagon basic shock too...

225 GBP according to Hagon.

I need to check WP price, but usually they are exactly same as Wilbers price-wise....

I have wilbers on my VTR1000F and it transformed bike totally - not only handling, but smootheness on bad roads just blew me away when I did first ride with new shock. So far 20 000 km later I am still happy with it...
Yep. Price are shocking...thou

Quarter? My bike was bought for 900 Euros and I probably spent another 500 restoring tuning it
I need lottery win
Old 09-24-2008, 02:51 AM   #134
ztaj
jatz

Good grief, 900 euros, about 18/1900 nz$, not a bad price, about 1/2 what I paid in money terms( swaped BMW F650) for mine.MInd you I havn't had to restore/fix/tune mine, just oil and air filters and gas, lots of gas and a couple sets of tyres.
Will check out hagon shock, missus hasn't said "NO" to wilbers yet though
With you on the lottery win too, then I could have Monday bike, Tuesday bike Wednesday bike ............

ztaj screwed with this post 09-28-2008 at 10:48 PM
Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 AM   #135
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
flat slide carburator....:)

About 2.5 years ago I went and changed my DR800 from a fat and quit sleepy bike in to a much slimmer and sharp off road beast, but still saving his road quality for every day uses…
The bike lost (for now…) more then 30k. The front suspension was taken from a 2006 CRF450R, the rear shock is WILBERS fully adjusted.
An open flow exhaust and 25 littre Acerbis fuel tank.

The last item I have replaced (10 days ago) was the carburetor.
After many doubts I have decided to purchase from Mr. Stefan Hesller a new MIKUNI flat slide with an acceleration pump.
And as he promised me- what a different to the original!!!
As suspected- when opening the throttle the respond is much more quick and sharp- making lifting the front wheel over obstacle a much easily thing to do, and not only in first gear…
The engine will reach 8000rpm, in every gear, so fest and with no breathing problems at all.
Acceleration to top speed is filling like you are on a different motorcycle!!!
Like a young boy I'm finding my self squeezing the throttle between stop lights…

So- if you love your DRbig and you want to invest some money and change it from his sleepy nature… upgrade the suspension and replace the carb!!!

Unfortunately, last weekend I crashed hard landing from a jump straight in to a bolder…
That’s what happens when you turn your head to look on other bikes (or chicks on the streets…)
I'm o.k. thanks. Nothing is broken…

The bike suffered more…
The trail tech speedometer was smashed, left side cover all so…
But the most annoying break is to the rear shock hose of the pressure gas tank.
Next time the hose will go in the inside portion of the frame…

I have decided to send it "beck home"- to the Wilbers factory for service and repair.
And It will be a good platform to thank and show my appreciation the guys over Wilbers especially for Mr. Dirk Wenzelmann.

Until the shock will be sent beck- I have time rest and recover…

drive safely

Nave.
Israel.

nave screwed with this post 03-20-2009 at 12:04 AM
nave is offline   Reply With Quote