i couldnt agree more
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #13637
stefan rb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
What I will say now will probably make lot of "Beasts" section guys angry, leave alone Katoomers and Beemers and Hondofils and even Stromers...but
This is all MY opinion only, my impressions and please if you offended just skip it :)

1. In my opinion Stefan's Zeta still best dual sport on that Suzuki stand on Intermot. Specially after seeing supposedly new concept Strom 1000. I can make that "concept" in my garage.
2. In my opinion KTM just closed door on one of craziest and best bike they ever had. I did not like 1190 a bit. It looks underdeveloped, rough, lots of stuff sticking out yet it still not half as comfy as Multistrada and for me - almost impossible to stand on. It is on GS territory. Big Katom legend is dead to me. They confirmed production of 990 Adventure stopped forever about month ago.
3. I loved what BMW did with new GS. I think they finally dropped over engineered, long in tooth and far from optimal (in effects to drive and chassis) motor and made superb bike. IMO better job than KTM.
4. I fell in love with new Triumph Street Tripple. No, I won't buy it. But old one was good (ridden it) and this one just up my alley - small like Duke 690 and totally hooligan machine if motor is not worse than old one.
5. I still do not like Explorer 1200.
6. I still think that Thunderbird 1600 are better cruiser than any Harley and cooler too.
7. I think that Kawasaki Z800 is one of most horrible and ugly Kawasaki creatures. I think that every old customized Zed I seen there looks miles better than any new of their bikes.
8. I still think that panigale 1190 is incredibly gorgeous. And Multistrada pushing boundaries of tech way ahead of everyone else with that new tech for active suspension. But I won't ever buy it. Too much gimmicks.
9. I think that Honda Crosstourers etc. are boring and uninspiring bikes with budget suspension and brakes and are not suitable for any offroad whatsoever. Photos from underneath with visible cat etc. - those are from crosstourer.
10. That "retro" is Honda CB1100, new bike. And I think this is very nice simple UJM that was missed for a while.
11. I still think that NC700 series is buzz killer and motorcycling shall not be all about fuel economy at costs of fun.

i think that the same is in my head
you write some minutes before me :-)

but give suzuki some time
maybe...
i was in contact with suzuki
and a real dual sport bike is - maybe! - possible !!!!!

one point is for suzuki
the v-strom is NOT a heavy ironshit
and 100HP and the v-strom engine is a really good basic...
and suspension, wheels and cover we can change :-)
so i will create the real big brother of dr big

and the home of DR BIG:
www.dr-big-shop.de

stefan rb screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 01:30 PM
stefan rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #13638
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
The advertisement copy that I read from the show stated that Suzuki used the DR750 for "inspiration" for the 1000 V Strom concept.

Other than a tiny beak (that has somehow become a DS requirement) I could find NO relationship to any DR750 I've ever seen.

Stefan, if you plan on modifying this bike, we all like to see the steps you take.

I, for one, can't quite see how the problem of the center downward pointing exhaust pipe and protruding oil filter can really be solved except by sticking some type of armor infront of it.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #13639
MrPopples
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Vstrom, an adv bike?

yes, that can happen ... :)
I've ridden with a guy that has one ... slightly modified!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1055221...09846431000946

also, there's a DR800 behind :P
MrPopples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #13640
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Wicked

I love the looks of these giant DR's, even tho I personally would never have a use for one. Strange that I still kinda want one lol......must be some kinda disease I reckon
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #13641
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,233
What's the power delivery on those big DRs like?? I wanna ride one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #13642
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
What's the power delivery on those big DRs like?? I wanna ride one
Smooth... Don't expect it to rip your hands off.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #13643
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
must be some kinda disease I reckon
Yes...it is.

Power is similar to new XR650L Honda. Better than that though because I found the Honda a bit prone to stalling at low first-gear "thumping" uphill on tight switchback stuff. The Big just keeps working even just off idle. That may be a tuning thing since the XR I rode was new and likely needed a larger pilot jet.

Better than the new DR650 which I find OK but rather "flat" The Big has more of a midrange lunge between 3000-5500. It'll spin faster but once you realize how big this piston is....it's really not necessary.

You won't find many in the States. There's only two of us 'Mericans on the list. Well, maybe three but the guy down in Arizona hasn't shown up for a while and his is nicely modded into a cafe bike.

They were never sold in the US and I've been told they only sold 36 of them in Canada. Being older bikes and given the Canadian climate, dunno what's become of all those.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #13644
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Yes...it is.

Power is similar to new XR650L Honda. Better than that though because I found the Honda a bit prone to stalling at low first-gear "thumping" uphill on tight switchback stuff. The Big just keeps working even just off idle. That may be a tuning thing since the XR I rode was new and likely needed a larger pilot jet.

Better than the new DR650 which I find OK but rather "flat" The Big has more of a midrange lunge between 3000-5500. It'll spin faster but once you realize how big this piston is....it's really not necessary.

You won't find many in the States. There's only two of us 'Mericans on the list. Well, maybe three but the guy down in Arizona hasn't shown up for a while and his is nicely modded into a cafe bike.

They were never sold in the US and I've been told they only sold 36 of them in Canada. Being older bikes and given the Canadian climate, dunno what's become of all those.
Thats interesting, my current ride is a modified xr650l. Its about twice as strong as stock once all the extreme, U.S. street legal power killing stuff was taken off, and it was allowed to breathe to its full potential with proper carb/slide/airbox/filter and exhaust mods. Its disgusting how nuetered the U.S bikes are becoming. I bet some big gains could be gotten from derestricting the Big DR's as well. I would love the huge torque that motor must deliver at low revs.......I'm a torque junkie and I think that motor would be a dream
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #13645
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
DR Big motor have a LOT of ...how to say...spare potential to that. You can get 65 bhp out of it without any negative impact on longevity.
There is so much material and everything so overdone - no probs with tuning.
If you pushed your XR up you can do same with DR. Only upped DR (60-65 bhp) will have substantially more torque than upped XR after that (purely for cranckshaft and balancer shafts reasons).
But this will require camshaft, head work, boring out a bit, proper carbs and exhaust and airflow.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #13646
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan rb View Post
i think that the same is in my head
you write some minutes before me :-)

but give suzuki some time
maybe...
i was in contact with suzuki
and a real dual sport bike is - maybe! - possible !!!!!

one point is for suzuki
the v-strom is NOT a heavy ironshit
and 100HP and the v-strom engine is a really good basic...
and suspension, wheels and cover we can change :-)
so i will create the real big brother of dr big
Stefan, if you talk to Suzuki again, please advise them about THEIR one-cylinder engine, the one in the LTA700 quad!
Haven't you tried to fit that engine into a BIG frame?

Water-cooled, automatic transmission and shaft transmission - that would make new idea on this market.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #13647
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Blasphemy! How could you!
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!

This sounds worse than STEPPER MOTOR on my Tiger!

Seriously - not for dual sport, please...
But simple V-twin 90 degrees in proper dualsport chassis...would be blast.

Honda messed it up with Varadero in my opinion. They should not only have made Varadero tourer, but something more agile alongside. Firestorm motor is a gem...
Old 10-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #13648
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Blasphemy! How could you!
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!

Seriously - not for dual sport, please...
But simple V-twin 90 degrees in proper dualsport chassis...would be blast.

Honda messed it up with Varadero in my opinion. They should not only have made Varadero tourer, but something more agile alongside. Firestorm motor is a gem...
Dunno, I like the EVA TRACK www.motorcycle-usa.com/7/185/7/motorcycle-blog-post/diesel-motorcycle-headed-for-production.aspx and it is automatic also...
If this transmission can handle a 300kg(?) quad I think it would be OK for me.

I would try this combo.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #13649
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
I'm going to have to discover what company makes all those stepper motors used in injection systems and suspension adjustment systems and traction control systems and windshield adjustment systems,etc.

I should be buying stock in those companies waiting for all these tiny motors to begin failing in about 5 years. Lots of money to be made here.....that or lots of motorcycles are going to be "not running.....parting out"

.....Just an opinion.....

I'll stick with carburetors and suspension that you have to actually get off the bike and kneel down to adjust.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #13650
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

you won't need to convince me BUT...BUT
Triumph runs open reprogrammable ECU. With industry-standard socket. Change of map in 2 minutes. Isn't that cool?

Those motors cost next to nothing, don't put you hopes too high

Yeah, every time my Tiger makes "extra terrestrial sounds" 1 minute after switching off I am scared