Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #13696
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I disagree. If this is the case - 690 you tried was really set up to run ultra lean.

690 vibrates MUCH less than DR Big. And - it is way faster bike. I rode alongside with 690 in difficult conditions not once, I saw it crash (and get minimal damage despite big crash) and it is really good machine. Which can't be said about 640 that vibrates worse than Harley.
Blue you wreckon you are no good riding on the dirt so how come this Ktm crashed twice don,t they handle .
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #13697
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Blue you wreckon you are no good riding on the dirt so how come this Ktm crashed twice don,t they handle .

KTM 690 Supermoto R. It is street bike on street tires.
Crashed in France when I was on Tiger on....spirited...riding on paved roads. He got unlucky - hit longitudinal asphalt "wave" sticking about 10 cm on surface on exiting turn leaned fully open in 2nd I think. I can't even think what could have happened to heavier bike. He crossed central reservation, bumped road sign off pole, flew across opposite lane and landed on opposite lane roadside. We thought rider was in bad way - I saw it in mirror as he was right behind me and it scared me. I know guy well and consider him a friend. He got off with bumped knee that healed with no ill effects.
Damage to bike - front plastic mask round headlight, both indicators, bent gear pedal (twisted badly). That's all.

Same bike was BETTER offroad in Morocco than my DR and friend's GSA. I have to admit it. Despite it was on 17" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion tires. And it really beaten to death except motor.
You can't beat 150 kg curb weight with 70 bhp.

Of course it kicks back when you need to do 5000 km rideout - it's not most comfy bike and not most reliable
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #13698
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
petrol tap o ring

Anyone know the dimensions of the o ring in the fuel tap?
cheers!
the_sad_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #13699
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
Uh-oh....someone's bored while waiting for the puller to arrive.

I didn't even know that there WAS an O-ring in the fuel tap

Resi.......any ideas of price for your special tool. If I can't come up with any local alternatives I'll have one, please.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #13700
the_sad_punk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
I figured id fix my leak, sort the simple stufff first.
It seems nitrile isint up to the ethanol so im sourcing them in viton.
I remember someone mentioned the seal size, think it was Resi and if memory serves he wasnt definate on the size.
Cheers for the info on the rotor removal, il leave the nut half in and wont wear sandals!
the_sad_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #13701
mid-life-crisis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Engine Noise..

Hi TSP.

A bit more info concernng your engine noise. When you look at the camchain tensioners they should have a flat face where the chain runs. Mine when worn out had two grooves where the chain side plates run, the new ones where pervectly flat.
The picture below show the one out of my spare engine that shows slight wear but is still perfectly servicable.
I dont have the worn out one now but it had deep grooves just inside the outer ridges.

The starter clutch on mine does have some play in and out much the same as yours so I wouldnt worry about that but as mentioned before I use the decomp lever to stop the engine. This prevents the engine kicking back and destroying the starter clutch and starter motor. You can hear the kick back most times when you kill the engine with the kill switch as it suddenly turns the starter clutch and starter motor the wrong way.

Same as you I did have an engine full of fuel. The problem here is the fuel pump and float valves cannot hold back the weight of 20 plus litres of fuel. I just make sure my fuel tap is turned off when I leave the bike.

Hope this helps.

MLC
mid-life-crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #13702
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Resi.......any ideas of price for your special tool. If I can't come up with any local alternatives I'll have one, please.
Mate, I'll keep you informed ASAP.

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #13703
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
???

Rob, Resi,..anyone who has split the cases on one of these engine....

Is is possible to remove the output shaft (behind the CS sprocket) seal and refit a new one without splitting the cases?. I know some bikes are designed with a cast "lip" on the outboard side so you can not remove the seal toward the outside.

?????
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #13704
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:

Is is possible to remove the output shaft (behind the CS sprocket) seal and refit a new one without splitting the cases?. I know some bikes are designed with a cast "lip" on the outboard side so you can not remove the seal toward the outside.

?????
As much as I remember you can remove the seal but can't remove the bearing itself without splitting cases. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I've just ordered a load of parts including CS shaft seal myself, too.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #13705
wundis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I had a bit of a disaster. After a couple of weeks of not riding, I took my big out for a spin, and ten minutes into the ride it died on me while running in the 5th gear. just died. using the inertia I did try to jump-start it, but the rear wheel was locked. Fearing for the worst I pushed the e-start button, and surprisingly the engine turned, but was turning with a weird noise.
Considering that the bike has 50kkm on the clock, and the previous owner "restored" the rocker arms (not sure what that means though), I was almost guaranteed that the problem was rocker arm-related.
And my crystal ball was not wrong:

Now the questions:
The parts of the exhaust rocker arm match perfectly, I do not see any bit missing. Is there any chance that some micro debris was sucked in through the valve seals (I will be replacing these too) into the cylinder? Should I get worried?

The reason why this has happened: do the rocker arms have the mark of being overheated - is it a part of the manufacturing process, or have mine actually been overheated, and broke? There was oil in the cam pool, general oil level at low level. Can it be that an oil "channel" was blocked, thus leaving me with no/little oil to cool down the rocker arms? How do I check that?

I would assume that I need to have both of the rocker arms changed anyway, yet is there anything else to change?

Should I replace the cam shaft too? (though this will get a bit costly in that case).

If replacing the cam, then is it worth changing the cam chain? As far as I could see the cam chains were ok.

Sorry if my questions are a bit erratic, I simply don't have that much experience with oil cooled engines and tend to panic now.
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #13706
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

?????
Ray I don,t think I have ever raplaced one or was that long ago carn,t remember, but there is a outside cover plate and is probably for holding the seal in .
Use the manual step by step procedures for dissasembly and assembly , then you would not have missed leaving the rotor bolt in place with a few turns out .
Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #13707
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Wundis, I bought some new rockers a few days ago and they are a grey metal colour all over , unless it was from taking the picture it does look as though they have got hot at one time, what does the cam lobes and the part of the rocker that touches the cam look like , are they still a nice flat surface without any wear and no lines on them if so just new rockers may do .
The best way really is to get the cam built up and reground with new rockers then you have 2 brand new surfaces that will mate together.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #13708
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Ray,

you can change the drive shaft sealing from outside, not a big deal.
Possible that the sealing has a little undercut, depends on how long and how deep the sealing was mounted.

I use standart sealings, over here called "Simmerring", with an additional sealing lip.

As Rob mentioned, bearings can be changed only when splitting the case.

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #13709
wundis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Wundis, I bought some new rockers a few days ago and they are a grey metal colour all over , unless it was from taking the picture it does look as though they have got hot at one time, what does the cam lobes and the part of the rocker that touches the cam look like , are they still a nice flat surface without any wear and no lines on them if so just new rockers may do .
The best way really is to get the cam built up and reground with new rockers then you have 2 brand new surfaces that will mate together.
Heya,

Here's a bad quality pic of what the rocker surface looks like:

And yes the rocker is overheated, it's just poorly caught by the phone camera.

I'm afraid I do not have a pic with the cam surface... I'll get it done.

So, does anyone have an idea why the rocker got overheated? Lack of oil (it was at minimum)? Clogged oil channels? Did this happen to anyone at all?
Since this is a winter project I would like to check if the oil channels are ok, but i'm not sure what is the best procedure for that... And also, is it worth disassembling more and checking the piston/cyl?
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #13710
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Clogged channel - very unlikely, DR oil channels are big enough for kidney stone to pass!

2 reasons possible:
1. Lack of oil because of lack of oil - run low on oil
2. Simply overheated. DR motor cannot work endlessly on standstill. It have no fan, so - you actually can overheat it no problem.

In case of assembly error it is possible too - if steel pipe with holes in it's walls that goes into metal where oil line connects to motor - if that one was misplaced and forgotten for example.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote