User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #13711
juss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
decompressor

The SR43 has become a bit harder to start when hot. It won't turn over at first and feels like the battery would be low, but if I keep my thumb on the button it cranks over after a moment and the engine starts ok.

I took a look at the decompressor unit and found that the short cable between the unit and the shaft lever was almost shot, but still holding on, so not the cause of the problem. When removing the cable I discovered that I can easily turn my decompressor shaft by hand. That can't be normal, can it?

When the deco is engaged, the compression is _very_ slightly reduced - it's possible, but not easy to push the engine to turn over.

Any ideas?

cheers, juss

juss screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 12:10 PM
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #13712
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by juss View Post
The SR43 has become a bit harder to start when hot. It won't turn over at first and feels like the battery would be low, but if I keep my thumb on the button it cranks over after a moment and the engine starts ok.

I took a look at the decompressor unit and found that the short cable between the unit and the shaft lever was almost shot, but still holding on, so not the cause of the problem. When removing the cable I discovered that I can easily turn my decompressor shaft by hand. That can't be normal, can it?

When the deco is engaged, the compression is _very_ slightly reduced - it's possible, but not easy to push the engine to turn over.

Any ideas?

cheers, juss
It is normal that you can turn it by hand. Question is - how easy.
Did you adjust decompressor shaft clearance? That's not hard job at all.

Another thing....I had same symptoms once that turned out to be badly adjusted clutch cable. Seriously. I even changed battery to test until I realized that when I overtightened (again - in process) clutch cable suddenly issue disappeared. Even slightly not enough adjustment to fully pull in clutch resulting in those symptoms. Easy to test of course - some more turns on clutch cable adjuster and try again. If no luck - go and adjust decompressor shaft.
When my deco cable broke once I was turning shaft y hand before each start with no much effort despite it was perfectly adjusted.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #13713
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
DR800 4 Sale

There is a 1992 DR800 for sale in Australia on ebay. Starting price $5000. 31000km's. It,s a Jap import by a dealer near Penrith. You read that Rob. Not far from you. Another $1000 and they'll lisence it for you. Check it out.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUZUKI-DR...item460921a486

Or there's this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NORTON-CO...65162404329629

Cheers.

ausibatla screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 07:07 PM
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #13714
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Transplant?

So here's my situation:
u
The new SR43 has a leaking fuel tank seam and a teardown is planned to powdercoat the frame and paint the bodywork. Engine fresh-up would be the last thing to do..........

........The SR41 is shedding metal bits that have, so far, hidden from my inspection.

What I'm thinking about is transplanting the SR43 engine into the SR41 frame and running gear so I can ride a BIG for a while. During which time, I'll pull apart the 41 engine and work on spiffing-up the 43 frame and body.

So....the question is:

Can I stick the 43 engine into the 41 frame. I know I'd have to use the stator and flywheel (with ignition coil) from the 41 on the 43 engine to keep the electrics happy. I have not removed the right side cover from the 43 so don't know if this is possible or not. I know the covers differ since the 43 has the stater kickback clutch etc. But it should work if the stators will interchange.
Same ignition timing between the 41 and 43 right?

I may have to operate the decomp mechanism by hand.

Opinions???.....feel free to tell me I'm nuts (Yes, I know Rob will send a post saying "you're nuts")

Ladder106 screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 07:48 PM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #13715
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
[QUOTE=Ladder106;19877637]So here's my situation:

So....the question is:

Can I stick the 43 engine into the 41 frame. I know I'd have to use the stator and flywheel (with ignition coil) from the 41 on the 43 engine to keep the electrics happy. I have not removed the right side cover from the 43 so don't know if this is possible or not. I know the covers differ since the 43 has the stater kickback clutch etc. But it should work if the stators will interchange.
Same ignition timing between the 41 and 43 right?

Should just slot right in, Ray. But why mess around with the stator. Is it not possible to just use the CDI from the 800? The connectors may differ but it's not a permanent thing so I'm sure you can get around that.
Others may have better ways to do it or reasons why you can't but to me it seems the simplest way to go.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #13716
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I know the 43 has two ign. coils rather than one on the 41....so I'm assuming the CDIs and WIRING also differ. Path of least resistance would be to give the 43 engine the same stator, coils and wiring as the 41.

Then the only difference I can see so far is the manual vs. electrical decomp units. and I think I can activate that by hand.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #13717
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla View Post
There is a 1992 DR800 for sale in Australia on ebay. Starting price $5000. 31000km's. It,s a Jap import by a dealer near Penrith. You read that Rob. Not far from you. Another $1000 and they'll lisence it for you. Check it out.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUZUKI-DR...item460921a486

Or there's this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NORTON-CO...65162404329629

Cheers.
Thanks for the info Lioyd, I spoted that one a couple of weeks ago on Aussi ADV look at what I found thread, It will be interesting to see what it goes for , not a bad low klm bike I think I got enough big,s now .
Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #13718
karinjtimoyht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hope to be going on a 6 hour ride with a bunch of ADV riders in November "the snowy ride" around 6 hours and hopefully alot of fire trails so now to decide which one i take..
karinjtimoyht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #13719
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Ray, as mentioned on the other site, I can provide some rewiring informations for using a SR43 CDI on a SR41.

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #13720
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Ray remember when I was fixing up the motard my first big,and could not get it to run right and unbeknowns to me it had a 43 cdi in it but the wirering and motor was a sr42 I think really what you say about changing the stator and pick up coils is a safe and sure option.
Once you put a 43 motor in 41 you will be very happy indeed, and then later on like I have done buy a 800 crank and shove it in the 41 no looking back mate way to go .
I have a 43 flywheel and 43 cdi and 43 stator and pick up coils I bought for the motard and have never got arround to putting them in I was led to believe that the 43 has a better advance curve I never looked into this any futher as I was collecting and fixing up BIGS left right and centre at the time can some one confirm this .
If you look in the manual both have the same minimum and maximum advance .
where is HRT Stefen.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #13721
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinjtimoyht View Post
Hope to be going on a 6 hour ride with a bunch of ADV riders in November "the snowy ride" around 6 hours and hopefully alot of fire trails so now to decide which one i take..
That weekend is the Trout rally at 3 mile dam on the road to Cabramurra so a lot of bikes will be down that way too I am going to the Trout.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #13722
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
As mentioned above, flywheel, stator assy and CDI belong together.
A 41 stator assy and SR43 CDI won't work properly, e.g.

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #13723
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Clogged channel - very unlikely, DR oil channels are big enough for kidney stone to pass!

2 reasons possible:
1. Lack of oil because of lack of oil - run low on oil
2. Simply overheated. DR motor cannot work endlessly on standstill. It have no fan, so - you actually can overheat it no problem.

In case of assembly error it is possible too - if steel pipe with holes in it's walls that goes into metal where oil line connects to motor - if that one was misplaced and forgotten for example.
Remember Blue when I got the motard and the motor was knocking and then on dissaembly the cam and rockers were worn about 1mm real bad, and it was because some previous gumby owner did not put that oil shaft back in the head with the 2 holes so that oil gets squirted on to the cam lobes, so you are 100 percent correct .
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #13724
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Ray when you put a 800 crank in the 41 you don,t have to pull the gear selector mechanism off and the gear box out leave all that in the left hand crank case , makes life easier lift the right side away carfully with the motor on its lft side. just thought I would tell you in advance . and the ballancers too.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #13725
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Thanks very much for the information and advice, guys. It's saved me a lot of time and worry already.

So what I understand so far is that I am on the correct path and my plan is to keep the SR41 stator flywheel, cdi and wiring all together.

BUT

If I understand you correctly, Lars, the starter gear behind the flywheel is different between the 41 and 43. Is this correct?

I know the starter gear train is different and the left side cases are different to accomodate the starter "kickback" clutch but I plan to used all these parts from the 43.

I'll use the 43 starter motor, starter gear train etc. The only difference will the the big gear on the sprague clutch in back of the flywheel.

If this gear is different then I still have a few options.

Remove both flywheels and see if the 43 gear will fit onto the 41 flywheel.

or

Use the 43 flywheel.....unless the magnets etc are different from the 41 because of the ignition coil changes.

Any ideas on this??

I'll also post on drbig.info