Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #13756
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
Wow....nice movies....gifs...whatever. Never seen anyone on ADV do this before......way cool
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #13757
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Wundis yes nice motion pictures I have to agree with Ray,
Looking at the cam I would get it built up and reground, the same place may do the rockers allso or buy new rockers the latter will cost about double .
If you have got a paper manual and follow the dissmantling procedures its easy.
Just watch out for the little locating pin in the end of the cam that it does not drop out, it is usually is a fairy tight fit.
Number 22 part can be taken out buy removing the top oil pipe that goes to the head and in that hole is the pipe, a 6mm bolt can be screwed in loosly then pull it towards yourself and you should be looking at at it, you will notice a notch cutout on one end this is to make sure it is replaced at the right angle for the oil holes and does not turn .
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #13758
juss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
If you can - avoid using stock caliper. It just ... let me put it softly - inefficient.

On the tar and road tires with fully equipped bike? I guess it probably is.
I personally never found the stock too bad on gravel/dirt roads with knobblies and currently ca 175kg dry weight of bike, but it may still prove true with the new suspension.

Quote:
If you have original Brembo that comes with those forks - use that one. It will also be way easier to make adapter.

I have the Brembo that came with the fork - I can also use that one. Your knowledge about adapter being easier to make seems like a remark from a man who's actually made one? Any chance you have some drawings left? ;) I'd rather not disassemble the bike for measuring stuff now, right before winter...

Anyhow - thanks for all the help so far, Bluesman! Your stem drawings sure speeded things up for me.

cheers, juss
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #13759
MiguelXR33
Suspenso en inglés

Oddometer: 12
Greetings from Spain!!

¡Hola, saludos desde España! Greetings from Spain!

My name is Miguel, 45 years old, and my english is VERY BAD. Sorry for my bad words... but for me is more difficult understand your slang

I have a DR 750 '89. Only 45.000kms / 28.000Miles and hasn't problems.

Now I want to do it changes: a classic round front light; a plastic fuel tank (it's from a Merlin Dg11) with 20 litres; and Enduro legal kit in rear light... like this:

Now I haven't money (very bad crisis in Spain) but I thing this changes isn't very expensive. I hope will have a "new bike" in 2013... ... and, of course, you will have pics about it!!!

Here the unfinished story...
MiguelXR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #13760
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
Welcome Miguel,

You may be able to pay for your project by selling the parts of your DR750 that you are removing.

Is shipping still reliable from Spain?
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #13761
MiguelXR33
Suspenso en inglés

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Welcome Miguel,

You may be able to pay for your project by selling the parts of your DR750 that you are removing.

Is shipping still reliable from Spain?

Thanks, Ladder106!

Well, I want not to sell my original parts. I want have a "two-in-one bike" and cut or weld nothing. Want I my original Big? OK, I need one hour or two. But another days ride a original motorcycle, simple, different...

My loved XR...

I had seven years a Honda XR 600 for all time: go to work, little travels with my sons, funny Enduro, or "giving scares" at RR's in asphalt... :-D I remember I loved my XR, but... I needed more light, more autonomy, more engine, and my sons larger day to day... I needed another bike, and I wanted a Big when I was young: simple engine, simple frame... all simple. Perfect for me!!

The spanish Merlin Dg11 500... really a very bad bike...

Only I needn't the big tank... In four years I had only a long travel -2000kms/1200Miles- who I need fuel (460kms/285Miles without stops... ohhh my ass...). Too large tank for me... and too heavy!!! The Merlin fuel tank -Acerbis made- is 20 litres, but very light, like XR tank: good autonomy, good weight.

The pretty XT 550... I like it!!!

Of course, if I remove the Big tank, I need another front light, but I need light in dark... and I like the old and pretty Yamaha XT 550 (was not in sale in Spain). OK, why not a naked bike front light? Will have a classic Baja stile and good and white -and legal... here have problems with xenon kits- light.

My big and the Merlin tank... have odds!!!

And I'm in this position now. I have the Merlin tank, a seat, a rear rack and, more important, desire to do it. Probably I will start this month... I want start!!! All of this write -with my bad english- here, of course.

I like too with the original fender... why not?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #13762
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Very nice collection of bikes, Miguel.
I've never heard of Merlin's before...
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #13763
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
good luck with conversion...anticipating the pictures
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #13764
MiguelXR33
Suspenso en inglés

Spanish bikes: Merlin Dg 11 500 Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
Very nice collection of bikes, Miguel.
I've never heard of Merlin's before...
(Sorry for my bad english)

Merlin DG 3.50 Trial

MERLIN was a brand and lived 1980 to 1990, founded by Pere Arpa and Ignasi Bultó (Paco Bultó's -Bultaco- son)
His better motorcycles was in Trial (spanish and belgium champioship winner) and was the last Eddy Lejuene's bike.

Merlin Dg11 500 Trail and features

The Merlin Dg11 500 was a Dual Purpose motorcycle (Trail in Spain), like anothers japanese and european bikes in 80's decade. Was all of better of european parts: Acerbis plastics, Telesco suspensions, Grimeca and Nagesti brakes, Akront rings with Pirelli MT 30, Amal carb, Motoplat ignition.... Perhaps some economic (haven't monoshock or disc brakes) but have a very good price.

MTV -Mototrans- Yak 410

But the very bad in this bike was his engine, designed in Mototrans in 1979 (another spanish brand who made Ducati bikes 175 to 350cc, his most famous model was the "24 Horas"), When Ducati Italia finished the relationship, Mototrans -called MTV- needs something for survive. And designed the MTV Yak 410 Dual Purpose motorcycle, with a 406cc single engine, six speeds and desmodromic timing. Perhaps a good engine... with a evolution who never comes. Mototrans closed without being able to sell the Yak 410. and Merlin bought this design for his Dg11 500, a engine who started badly, had lubrication problems and a difficult carburation. A jewel...

Merlin Nómada 500

Merlin stopped the Dg11 500 production and bought Cagiva T-4 500 (who had a good relationship, bought 2 strokes engines for his Trial bikes). This T-4 had a new plastics with a little front fairing -the little Dominator- and was a good bike: the Merlin Nómada 500. Was the motorcycle who rode Jordi Arcarons in his first Paris-Dakar -1988- and won the 500cc class... a key for a Cagiva Elefant seat...

Jordi Arcarons winning the Paris-Dakar 1988 500cc class with a Merlin Nomada 500

Merlin was bought by Gas-Gas in 1988 and disappeared in 1990, when all production was build in Gas-Gas.

Any question? : Pulgar

MiguelXR33 screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 08:54 AM
Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #13765
Africabig
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Welcome, Miguel XR 33, from Gijón, Spain. (I'm Bigtwin in the Big spanish forum)

Another BIG crazy .
Africabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #13766
MiguelXR33
Suspenso en inglés

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy_xj View Post

Now the marlboro project is started

Hi, Cowboy.xj!! Can you say me what bike is this tail light? Is perfect for my project...

:-D
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #13767
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 326
I had a 1982 125. No guts, should have got the 200-250 or 550, but parents were concerned about safety. Nothing scarier then NOT having the power to pass or get out of a hairy sutuation. Those bikes were beauties. I don't know if you've seen the european XT550 site, but they have some of the hottest 550's I've ever seen. Safety seats, disc brakes, custom paint, chrome. Just works of art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelXR33 View Post
Thanks, Ladder106!

The pretty XT 550... I like it!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #13768
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by juss View Post

On the tar and road tires with fully equipped bike? I guess it probably is.
I personally never found the stock too bad on gravel/dirt roads with knobblies and currently ca 175kg dry weight of bike, but it may still prove true with the new suspension.

I have the Brembo that came with the fork - I can also use that one. Your knowledge about adapter being easier to make seems like a remark from a man who's actually made one? Any chance you have some drawings left? ;) I'd rather not disassemble the bike for measuring stuff now, right before winter...

Anyhow - thanks for all the help so far, Bluesman! Your stem drawings sure speeded things up for me.

cheers, juss
Well, I was impressed with difference good caliper made in unpaved too. The reason - feedback. It seems that stock DR caliper are not so...controllable? That's probably word. With my Beringer I felt more confident feeling how I actually use brakes.
On tar - even with stock tyres, tons of difference. There are reason why brakes moved on even on 21/17 inch wheels bikes - check for example Tenere 660 etc. But with grippy tires on tar - oh yes, makes hell of difference.
Anyway, about adaptor. I did not make permanent adaptor, just tried Brembo on with piece of alloy drilled and used with washers to align everything, but our colleague Mait did I think. I sold my Brembo to him.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #13769
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Well, I was impressed with difference good caliper made in unpaved too. The reason - feedback. It seems that stock DR caliper are not so...controllable? That's probably word. With my Beringer I felt more confident feeling how I actually use brakes.
On tar - even with stock tyres, tons of difference. There are reason why brakes moved on even on 21/17 inch wheels bikes - check for example Tenere 660 etc. But with grippy tires on tar - oh yes, makes hell of difference.
Anyway, about adaptor. I did not make permanent adaptor, just tried Brembo on with piece of alloy drilled and used with washers to align everything, but our colleague Mait did I think. I sold my Brembo to him.
Blue I guess someone else bought your Brembo, not me. I have KTM front wheel with 300mm KTM disc and matching caliper. No aditional adaptor.

mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #13770
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,708
I......................................... erm....................... have a confession.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote