Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #13816
jimbobthebear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Motorcycle Live 2012

Hi Guys

Thought i'd share a few pics from yesterday at the NEC. only phone pics so apologies.

Best Bike of the show.... obviously ;o)

My pal Matt on a gorgeous Guzzi

jimbobthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #13817
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Pretty shiny blue DR Big there, jimbobthebear.

Winter is coming here in the north, so I decided to do a final ride of the season 2012. A good friend came by on his XChallenge. Pretty impressive bike I have to say- reasonable weight, enough power and has very good fuel economy. So we took the bikes for a little spin in 5 degrees Celsius autumn weather. Damn it was hot, I was sweating.

An obstacle. Previously I had ridden over it without much effort:

WP Suspension at work:

Ouch! Don't worry, it didn't hurt so much and I already have one wonderful daughter. Obviously the speed was too low and I didn't lift the front end at all:

Much faster approaching speed led to better results:

It was his first try to cross the railroad and he made it :

Baltic Sea and Port of Paldiski in the background. There used to be a Soviet Submarine Base couple of decades ago:

Later that day I managed to crash. Was riding between the tracks on second gear standing on the pegs. The rear wheel started to slide out to the right. Nothing special, has happened many times before. I managed to ride on sideways for 20meters trying to save it. Finally went down. Bent bars and broken indicator:

New hairstyle:

Now I can put the bike in the garage for winter and start some mods and repairs again. The 45mm header pipe from Resi is already here, some parts from Stefan are on the way. Hopefully next season will see DR with new exhaust system and engine that does not need 1 litre oil per 500kms.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #13818
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,922
Railway tracks are one of the most difficult things for me to go over. They are just spaced completely wrong. Getting the front over the first one is no problem but then the rear hits the first one just a split-second before you're trying the lift the front for the second. This transfers weight down onto the front almost exactly when it's trying to come up.

You also can not hit them at any angle to change the "spacing" between the rails since they are too slippery and your tire will slide rather than climb....this is much worse in wet or muddy conditions.

So...it looks like you did just fine as long as you didn't bend a rim.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #13819
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Exactly so it is, Ladder. Railway tracks are my nightmare, too. The rim survived.

My initial plan was to approach at steady speed standing on the pegs. It didn't work because the engine stalled after front wheel went over the first rail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDYgLDd7F4s&feature=plcp
Then I tried to start again from where I stalled, front between the rails. A few months ago in dry conditions I got over like this without problems at the same place. After 2 or 3 tries I fell down because the sleepers are damn slippery when wet. Then i gave up and we just pushed the bike over. Not easy for even two men.

BMW guy did it right, his front wheel lifted from the first rail and landed on the second one. The landing wasn't stable but it was his first try and not bad at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBiIslVNVUE&feature=plcp

My score with riding over railway tracks is 1:4 now (one lucky crossing riding over and 4 failures when I needed to push, pull or drag the bike over ). Its gonna be a life long battle I'm afraid. Need to work with the technique to lift the front in order to save the front rim.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #13820
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Hello there,
it's definitely the last chance to order a 2013 Big-calender! The order-book will be closed tonight and there's really only a single guy here who wants one?
Kind regards, Bambi ... not making money out of it!!! I'll only charge you the real costs.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #13821
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
I found this in a crappy local shop in a backstreet in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. She's been the property of a French guy who came to grief and gave her up so no Cambodians have serviced it with a scaffold bar and a hammer. There's a rip in the seat (very easy fix out here) and the sump guard is missing. Otherwise in exceptional condition. I took her down to the coast where she strutted her stuff and I have to say, I'm damn impressed. My normal ride is a BMW X-country I rode here from London... nothing will ever replace that bike in my heart but she's off the road pending a refit so this one is getting pressed into service as a replacement and also for rent to people I can trust not to abuse it. I'm already planning some modifications (but will keep all the standard gear just in case). I would like to get a better exhaust, rejet the carbs and get a decent air filter. I'm planning a new headlight and better screen, engine guards, a better than standard bash plate and some kind of luggage solution. I'm already changing my mind about renting it... loving this bike already. Here are some pics...

jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #13822
MrPopples
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Nice bike :)
how are the cambodian roads and trails?

I just installed a "street legal" inox LAZER Pro Duro with an inox HRT exhaust pipe
found the two of it in mint condition for 240 euros.
the inox exhaust pipe glows reddish in the dark, looks marvelous :)
the sound is not loud at all, and is a nice regular low bass sound.

love it :)
MrPopples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #13823
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Hey you blokes love all the pic,s keep em coming .
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #13824
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
The roads themselves aren't too bad. Many potholes and mud due to rampant corruption. Traffic is a nightmare, it's what you'd expect if you put angry people with learning difficulties into cars, gave them no education on how to drive them and had no real rules for them to follow.
Trails are pretty challenging, the red mud and clay is like glue and everything stays wet. There are spots in the mountains which are pretty great and not everything is tough to get to. The DR is not the tool for the trails out here, you need something lighter. It's fine for getting off the highway to admire the view though.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #13825
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Hello,
reading this 'loving this bike already.': That sounds familiar to me, I think that's the story behind 99,9 % of all Big-riders ...
Welcome and kind regards, Bambi
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #13826
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello,
reading this 'loving this bike already.': That sounds familiar to me, I think that's the story behind 99,9 % of all Big-riders ...
Yeah, but sometimes more a love-hate relationship...

LarS
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #13827
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 338
Treborbig ,you have a PM from me and an Email !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #13828
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
Pretty shiny blue DR Big there, jimbobthebear.

Winter is coming here in the north, so I decided to do a final ride of the season 2012. A good friend came by on his XChallenge. Pretty impressive bike I have to say- reasonable weight, enough power and has very good fuel economy. So we took the bikes for a little spin in 5 degrees Celsius autumn weather. Damn it was hot, I was sweating.

An obstacle. Previously I had ridden over it without much effort:

WP Suspension at work:

Ouch! Don't worry, it didn't hurt so much and I already have one wonderful daughter. Obviously the speed was too low and I didn't lift the front end at all:

Much faster approaching speed led to better results:

It was his first try to cross the railroad and he made it :

Baltic Sea and Port of Paldiski in the background. There used to be a Soviet Submarine Base couple of decades ago:

Later that day I managed to crash. Was riding between the tracks on second gear standing on the pegs. The rear wheel started to slide out to the right. Nothing special, has happened many times before. I managed to ride on sideways for 20meters trying to save it. Finally went down. Bent bars and broken indicator:

New hairstyle:

Now I can put the bike in the garage for winter and start some mods and repairs again. The 45mm header pipe from Resi is already here, some parts from Stefan are on the way. Hopefully next season will see DR with new exhaust system and engine that does not need 1 litre oil per 500kms.
i love the look of the 750/early 800..think the restyle though sympathetic lost a little of the BRUTAL look the older models had....
heres mine

newseat1
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #13829
Geo-Nemesis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I think the same, sr41 and sr42 are way better looking than sr43
Geo-Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #13830
madafakinges
RALLY QUEEN

Oddometer: 29
My B.I.G.

This is my little BIG
WP43 front forks, 320mm brembo brakes, back wirth spring from hessler, hashiru exhaust+hessler rejeting... and few things more. All mods i did myself. (thanks nave for inspiration)
But i have a little problem now. The seat is shorten than ori and i havent enough space for me and my girlfriend and want to change it for xrv or varadero, because I can not afford two motorcycles.... What should i do...

madafakinges screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 12:04 PM
madafakinges is offline   Reply With Quote