ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #13951
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,924
I think I've got it now

Quote:
I remember one engine with a slight misalignment, like your' s. If you like I can go to the shed and take a picture with measurement of the balancer chain.
Thanks, Lars but not necessary

Quote:
Ray, the line on the camshaft if it is a couple of degrees out thats ok,
Yeah, It was just slightly off. I played with it until I convinced my self that setting the cam either forward or back one tooth would have made it not align at all

Yep, I noticed that the bolts are longer in the rear since the tensioner bracket is thicker in the rear. I've replaced the bolts with stainless ones of the correct length....thanks for the tip.

Engine is back together as of this afternoon. I pulled the starter and to check the commutator and clean up the black crud around the back bearing. All is OK there.

Tomorrow I'll pull out the SR41 engine and put the 43 in it's place. Gee I may even have a functioning motorcycle by the middle of the week.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #13952
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,824
Ray, allso because your 43 engine has a better air cleaner eg larger and 130 main jets, you may have to go down a little bit no bigger than 125 with your 41/42 air cleaner.
you have a better pipe on the 41 now so 125 will be OK,
__________________
I ride alone and not a KTM in sight .
Menace Racing supported by Robmoto Industries
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #13953
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,924
Rob,

I was running the 750 with 800 carbs (with the removable pilot jets).

I switched over to 135 mains and dropped the needle clip one notch when I added the GSXR can. The bike seemed to run just fine.

You really think 125s are OK?

I was thinking about leaving the needle as I had it and dropping to 130s with the DR43 engine. Didn't think about the airbox being smaller than normal for this engine.

Also....a bloke on the DRbig.info site said that there are two bolts holding down the cylinder head that are LEFT HAND THREAD. Is this true?? Gonna start the 750 tear-down right after the 800 transplant is complete.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #13954
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,824
Ray, 125 mains are plenty big enough on middle slot clip position, the thing is because you are increasing the vacume by adding the extra 50cc in the stroke, and not inlarging the air cleaner it is sucking harder.
SR42 originally ran 117.5 mains in other words this is what you are doing changing a SR41 to a SR 42 so an increase to 125 is a fair bit anyway.
Head bols left hand thread there ain,t none and believe it or not I am a left hander .
__________________
I ride alone and not a KTM in sight .
Menace Racing supported by Robmoto Industries
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #13955
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Simosez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: eternally sunny lithgow
Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Rob,


Also....a bloke on the DRbig.info site said that there are two bolts holding down the cylinder head that are LEFT HAND THREAD. Is this true?? Gonna start the 750 tear-down right after the 800 transplant is complete.
that would be a very strange thing to do. left hand threads should only be found on rotating things to prevent them undoing.
maybe he was working upsidedown. things can seem backwards when they are upsidedown
__________________
"Safety Turd. Because the only skid marks should be on the dirt."
"If I could get back all the money I ever spent on dirt bikes, I'd spend it all on dirt bikes."
DR750 BIG
Husaberg 350
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #13956
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Simosez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: eternally sunny lithgow
Oddometer: 386
oh, and thanks for all the replies regarding the starter. it will be good when this bloody dakar race is over so i can get off the f5irehose and do a bit!!
__________________
"Safety Turd. Because the only skid marks should be on the dirt."
"If I could get back all the money I ever spent on dirt bikes, I'd spend it all on dirt bikes."
DR750 BIG
Husaberg 350
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #13957
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,924
Another F5 guy

Ahh another one. This year sure looks difficult.

The first 3 stages woulds squached me flatter than hammered dog poop.

Was thinking it would almost be too bad to go and actually race this thing (not that I could at my age anymore). Between saving your life and glancing at the roadbook, I'd never have time to appreciate things like 1000 meter dunes running right down to the beach.

It would be a great place to take a tour and ride some of those routes.

As long as there was someone there to feed me and a place to lay down after picking the bike up 25 times in the sand.

Dunno how they do it.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #13958
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 303
tech talk

I have removed top end from the engine. What I've found:

Compression ring - end gap 0.95mm (service limit as per manual = 1mm). Too close to limit.
2nd ring - end cap 0.45mm (1mm service limit).
oil ring top rail - end gap 1.80mm that is too much I think?
oil ring bottom rail - end gap 0.4mm

Piston manufacturers recommend 2nd ring end gap to be larger than top ring. I've also read recommended oil ring end gaps to be ca 0.4mms.

Exhaust valves are not tight, one has small leak, the other has excessive leak.

Camshaft cam heights 0.8 and 0.7mms worn below service limit.

Rocker arm surfaces are worn.

Camchain is OK, 20 pitch length 128mms, service limit 129mms.



I'm afraid Suzuki does not sell +0.5mm oversize rings any more, only complete set with piston. The piston is still fine (cylinder was overhauled 10000kms ago). I've been looking through all piston manufacturers' catalogs but haven't found direct fit rings. There are some 105.5mm sets available but the heighth and width of the rings wouldn't match.

One more thing I've found when replacing countershaft seal (there was small leak). The inner race of the bearing sits loose on the shaft. I am able to turn it with my fingers while holding the shaft in place. There is no noticable play between the shaft and bearing though. Gonna split the cases and inspect the shaft. Probably bearing glue will do there.

I have to find out now what to do with the rings and camshaft...

To cheer things up here is a photo of building exhaust before the engine was taken off. Thanks Resi for the header pipe and thanks Ladder for info on GSXR muffler setup. Sorry for crappy quality pic
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #13959
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 303
Just saw the broken fairing and it reminded me how that happened. The friend of mine who took the photos laughed like crazy when we stopped. I had been riding like that maybe a few kilometers without noticing the branch I had picked up from high speed double track in the woods.
You know how its done - standing on the pegs and looking far forward, pretending you're Marc Coma (or maybe Joan Barreda Bort these days). Thats why I didn't see the branch hanging from the bike before we stopped.




mait screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 10:19 AM
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #13960
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,824
Mait, Just like a Suzuki dealer they HAVE BRANCHES EVERY WHERE.
__________________
I ride alone and not a KTM in sight .
Menace Racing supported by Robmoto Industries
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #13961
Geo-Nemesis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
I have removed top end from the engine. What I've found:

Compression ring - end gap 0.95mm (service limit as per manual = 1mm). Too close to limit.
2nd ring - end cap 0.45mm (1mm service limit).
oil ring top rail - end gap 1.80mm that is too much I think?
oil ring bottom rail - end gap 0.4mm

Piston manufacturers recommend 2nd ring end gap to be larger than top ring. I've also read recommended oil ring end gaps to be ca 0.4mms.

Exhaust valves are not tight, one has small leak, the other has excessive leak.

Camshaft cam heights 0.8 and 0.7mms worn below service limit.

Rocker arm surfaces are worn.

Camchain is OK, 20 pitch length 128mms, service limit 129mms.



I'm afraid Suzuki does not sell +0.5mm oversize rings any more, only complete set with piston. The piston is still fine (cylinder was overhauled 10000kms ago). I've been looking through all piston manufacturers' catalogs but haven't found direct fit rings. There are some 105.5mm sets available but the heighth and width of the rings wouldn't match.

One more thing I've found when replacing countershaft seal (there was small leak). The inner race of the bearing sits loose on the shaft. I am able to turn it with my fingers while holding the shaft in place. There is no noticable play between the shaft and bearing though. Gonna split the cases and inspect the shaft. Probably bearing glue will do there.

I have to find out now what to do with the rings and camshaft...

To cheer things up here is a photo of building exhaust before the engine was taken off. Thanks Resi for the header pipe and thanks Ladder for info on GSXR muffler setup. Sorry for crappy quality pic

OT: what fork is that?
Geo-Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #13962
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Mait, Just like a Suzuki dealer they HAVE BRANCHES EVERY WHERE.


Geo-Nemesis, it is WP Extreme 5060 fork from KTM 640 Adventure.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #13963
stefan rb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stefan rb's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Germany, Home of DR BIG
Oddometer: 114
dr big shop

only for information....
if maybe someone do not find me any more...

A NOTE IN ENGLISH FOR OUR CUSTOMERS FROM ABROAD:
Unfortunately the new shop can't be offered in an English version until next week. Please leave you e.g. using google or firefox for help. These browsers will translate into your language fast and for free.
klick! DR BIG SHOP translated with google
We wish you a happy 2013 - regardless which type of DR you're riding !
__________________
www.hessler-motorsport.de

and the home of DR BIG:
www.dr-big-shop.de
stefan rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #13964
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Simosez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: eternally sunny lithgow
Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Ahh another one. This year sure looks difficult.

The first 3 stages woulds squached me flatter than hammered dog poop.

Was thinking it would almost be too bad to go and actually race this thing (not that I could at my age anymore). Between saving your life and glancing at the roadbook, I'd never have time to appreciate things like 1000 meter dunes running right down to the beach.

It would be a great place to take a tour and ride some of those routes.

As long as there was someone there to feed me and a place to lay down after picking the bike up 25 times in the sand.

Dunno how they do it.
G'day Ray,
i was thinking the same thing the other day. why pay $100,000 to race Dakar with no guarentee of finishing the race when i'm sure for the same money (or less) you could find a tour operator to run a similar route at a much more relaxed pace.
i'm sure with a support vehicle you would be able to do it on enduro bikes with big tanks (15+ litres) with 2 guides and no pressure!!
would be good to do it with 8 to 10 mates. i'm not taking the Big though. i'll take my KTM

by the way, this is just a dream. i don't have the sort of cash to go tearing around south american sand dunes.
__________________
"Safety Turd. Because the only skid marks should be on the dirt."
"If I could get back all the money I ever spent on dirt bikes, I'd spend it all on dirt bikes."
DR750 BIG
Husaberg 350
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #13965
Longdude
Tall Geezer !
 
Longdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Devon, England
Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan rb View Post
only for information....
if maybe someone do not find me any more...

A NOTE IN ENGLISH FOR OUR CUSTOMERS FROM ABROAD:
Unfortunately the new shop can't be offered in an English version until next week. Please leave you e.g. using google or firefox for help. These browsers will translate into your language fast and for free.
klick! DR BIG SHOP translated with google
We wish you a happy 2013 - regardless which type of DR you're riding !
Thanks Buddy, I'm very happy with the uprated rear spring you sent me. I now don't have a saggy arse, so to speak ! (on my DR BIG)
__________________
http://motorcyclerestorationuk.activeboard.com/

Suzuki DR 800 BIG / Triumph Tiger 955i.
Longdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014