Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #14161
Jimmythechiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
DR emerges from winter hibernation......

Today I dug a path through 90cm snow to get to my bike,shovelled an area around it to make a work space,and pulled the cover off.All was as it was in fall,still needs same stuff. I switched ignition on,lights and neutral lights came on fine,pushed deco lever and pushed ignition.Tiny sound,and all lights off and never to return.After a search here,looks like I should suspect loose or broken wires on the back of ignition.I'm going to check it out tommorow.I'd love to hear my bike run first time this year.The roads around here are not ready to ride on yet,but I'd love to get things ready a bit early.
Big plans this year for a WABDR ride,but I'd think to ride it heading south instead of north as its meant to be run.
Jimmythechiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #14162
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Check the fuse first.

If the fuse is blown check for small critter damage to the wiring at some point probably around the starter solenoid or starter motor.

You might also have a peek at the airbox/airfilter. They love setting up winter housekeeping in those spaces.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #14163
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Back in one piece

Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #14164
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I was trying to somewhat duplicate what the Suzuki guys did. The standard air filter lid (left side of the airbox) looks like this (without the triangular hole in the front)

The black airdam is connected to a short "snorkel that protrudes about 30 mm into the airfilter area.
The really cool solution to whole airbox stuff on DR (something I did not have time to do to mine - it was next planned mod but sold bike) is to remove battery box. Relocate battery to front of bike where sump guard is. Move CDI and RR to frame head (just like they did for rally bike) and create very large airbox by using space free from all that clutter. You may be surprised but it is not hard job to do. I even pre-fitted new setup and god larger battery (16.5 Ah) but...as I said, sold the bike.
Using that metod will allow not only to run large airbox, preventing need for large opening. It will also allow to use one of standard flat filters like in cars making it cheaper in the long run.
Obviously there are lot of added benefit - designing box to allow easier carb removal and access to whole bits behind battery box and so on.
I do not remember how it is on 750, but on 800 not that much stuff (electrically) depends on airbox. Only considerable bit is running real thick wire to starter.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #14165
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
The really cool solution to whole airbox stuff on DR (something I did not have time to do to mine - it was next planned mod but sold bike) is to remove battery box. Relocate battery to front of bike where sump guard is. Move CDI and RR to frame head (just like they did for rally bike) and create very large airbox by using space free from all that clutter. You may be surprised but it is not hard job to do. I even pre-fitted new setup and god larger battery (16.5 Ah) but...as I said, sold the bike.
Using that metod will allow not only to run large airbox, preventing need for large opening. It will also allow to use one of standard flat filters like in cars making it cheaper in the long run.
This is a really good idea. A large airbox is capable of making more power than a small one that has been opened up, especially if it has been set up as a properly tuned Helmholtz resonator. And the lithium ion batteries that have become available in recent years definitely help with regard to relocation.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #14166
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

What the hell is a Helmholtz.....never mind. I'll look it up.

This thing has developed into something way more complicated than I expected. I'm always willing to learn but right now I just feel like running back into Papa Suzuki's arms and making everything standard again.

.......but where's the fun in that.

OK, Bluesman and Derek....ya got me thinking

Hey, maybe we can make the intake note sound like my Mac starting up.....possible?

Ladder106 screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 10:21 AM
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #14167
Longdude
Tall Geezer !

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Back in one piece

Should that not be in Marlboro livery..............lol

Suzuki DR 800 BIG / Triumph Tiger 955i.
Longdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #14168
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Nope, too original to do anything like that to it
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #14169
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Nice bike.

One of the few UK bikes that I've seen without rust and fuzz growing out of all the fasteners.

I'm sure this takes quite a bit of preventive work riding over there.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #14170
Longdude
Tall Geezer !

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Nope, too original to do anything like that to it
Hi Tim
I guess you are mates with Ric ? He sorted my Marlboro decals, great bloke ! I think I've seen a vid of your bike being ridden in a field on your island.

Suzuki DR 800 BIG / Triumph Tiger 955i.
Longdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #14171
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I was trying to somewhat duplicate what the Suzuki guys did. The standard air filter lid (left side of the airbox) looks like this (without the triangular hole in the front)

The black airdam is connected to a short "snorkel that protrudes about 30 mm into the airfilter area.

G'day Ladder, i suggest running a bead of silastic over the sharp cut edge. sharp edges like that create all sorts of turbulence and vortices that will cause havoc the faster you go. i did this with mine and although my testing has not been as thorough as yours, I am happy with the results so far.
i think the ultimate setup is what Rob has done on the yellow bike, although it does require a set of flatslides to unleash the full potential that these bikes are capable of.
i do like bluesmans idea of moving the battery but i think you would need to assess the type of riding you do. i reckon i would end up smashing a battery if it was mounted in the bash plate, no matter how well it was protected.
Husaberg 350

Simosez screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 03:13 AM
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #14172
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Hey Simon are you comin on the weekend, or working..
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #14173
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Well, as for smashing battery - nope. If you look carefully location where battery can go can only be smashed if you actually destroy front forks. Pure geometry. Proven by Dakar bikes. I'd rather worry about good water isolation.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #14174
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
On the 41 /42 a small lithium battery would fit with a bit of jiggaling where the the rear tool box box is too.
they are soooo much lighter and have more cranking amps
Hows that triumph Blue are you still happy.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #14175
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Has anyone tested on of those small Lithium batterys on DR BIG?
mait is online now   Reply With Quote