Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #14176
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
Has anyone tested on of those small Lithium batterys on DR BIG?
I have booked a Shorai Lithium cell for my DR after going through several lead cells over the years.

My is coming in early April. So stay tuned for the review.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #14177
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Hey Simon are you comin on the weekend, or working..
i'm on call for the weekend. what time are you kicking off on saturday? might be able to squeeze half a day or so in and depart early.
(nevermind. i see on the other forum that kick off is 0900)

Simosez screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 09:43 PM Reason: did some research.
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #14178
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
Has anyone tested on of those small Lithium batterys on DR BIG?
Yep and OK after 6 months so far , and cranks it gooooood.
If you let them get drained to arround 8 volts they say they won,t come back to life and so chuckem.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #14179
wundis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Howdy guys, whilst the replacement parts are on the way, perhaps it is a good time to ask the question on this forum too.

I had a rotor puller tool made, loosened it yesterday.

The problem: Rotor comes off with starter gear in one piece, and I can not remove both of them off the shaft (I think the starter gear gets stuck on the woodruff key). So now it is loose on the shaft, but I can't remove it because I can not separate them. How do they interconnect? Do I just need more force (I always regret using it later)?

The thing is that the manual doesn't say anything bout it, supposedly when using a rotor puller only the rotor part should come off, while the starter gear should remain in place:

I thought asking first and then breaking something is a better idea...
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #14180
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
On the 41 /42 a small lithium battery would fit with a bit of jiggaling where the the rear tool box box is too.
they are soooo much lighter and have more cranking amps
Hows that triumph Blue are you still happy.
Good point.

Yep, I am totally ecstatic about Tiger 800XC, still think it is best bike I ever had.
BUT.
At this time I look from window and see about 20 cm of snow on ground and about 40 cm on my car parked outside, big wind, -4 and it still snowing.

Will spring ever come to Belgium
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #14181
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
The problem: Rotor comes off with starter gear in one piece, and I can not remove both of them off the shaft (I think the starter gear gets stuck on the woodruff key). So now it is loose on the shaft, but I can't remove it because I can not separate them. How do they interconnect? Do I just need more force (I always regret using it later)?
Just a bit confused about your problem. Can you describe why you are opening the left side in the first place? What are you trying to repair?

The stator(rotor) should separate from the large starter gear. It is only connected to the starter gear by a Sprague Clutch. This clutch will slip on the starter gear if spun in one direction and grab the starter gear (as it does when you start the bike) if spun in the other direction.

If your clutch is faulty, it may not be releasing from the starter gear. I'd try spinning it back and forth until it releases.

The gear will not come off the crankshaft until the Woodruff Key is removed from the shaft.

If the clutch is broken and will not release I think the only thing you can do it pull the stator with more force. If the is the problem you will likely have to replace it anyway. Hopefully it will not damage the starter gear when it finally releases

I hope I'm understanding your problem correctly, if not post again. I'm sure the group can help you.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #14182
wundis
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Just a bit confused about your problem. Can you describe why you are opening the left side in the first place? What are you trying to repair?

The stator(rotor) should separate from the large starter gear. It is only connected to the starter gear by a Sprague Clutch. This clutch will slip on the starter gear if spun in one direction and grab the starter gear (as it does when you start the bike) if spun in the other direction.

If your clutch is faulty, it may not be releasing from the starter gear. I'd try spinning it back and forth until it releases.

The gear will not come off the crankshaft until the Woodruff Key is removed from the shaft.

If the clutch is broken and will not release I think the only thing you can do it pull the stator with more force. If the is the problem you will likely have to replace it anyway. Hopefully it will not damage the starter gear when it finally releases

I hope I'm understanding your problem correctly, if not post again. I'm sure the group can help you.
Thanks for the reply. I knew it would be hard to explain something that presumably has never happened to anyone else
When you are pulling the rotor(stator) off with the rotor puller, what part comes off? According to the manual, it should be only the rotor, without the large starter gear in the back, right?
Well on my Big, it came off (only partially -it rotates freely on the shaft now, as the starter gear gets stuck on the woodruff bit) with the starter gear in one solid piece. My concern was, if I try to disconnect them with force whilst not knowing how they are connected in the first place with force - I can break something. The service manual is silent about this bit.
As for the starter sprague clutch - prior to disassembly it was all functional (at least it was until the exhaust rocker said bye-bye).

PS I'm trying to replace the balancer chain.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #14183
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Unless the clutch is broken or something is jammed inside it, the rotor should separate from the starter gear by just slipping off.

Try rotating the starter gear on the rotor forward and backward. The gear should spin on the rotor in one direction but not the other.

If it does not spin at all, something is jamming the clutch mechanism. Bits from the broken rocker, maybe???
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #14184
wundis
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Unless the clutch is broken or something is jammed inside it, the rotor should separate from the starter gear by just slipping off.

Try rotating the starter gear on the rotor forward and backward. The gear should spin on the rotor in one direction but not the other.

If it does not spin at all, something is jamming the clutch mechanism. Bits from the broken rocker, maybe???
Thanks for the idea, I'll try that and will give an update.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #14185
wundis
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wundis View Post
Thanks for the idea, I'll try that and will give an update.
Right. I'm switching between forums here (please don't tell me i'll have to copy my post to drbig.info too

There it is, the rotor and starter gear in a beautiful symbiosis:

I have tried my best to break them apart, nothing helped. Then I followed an advice I got from a parallel forum - use the rotor remover to keep removing them. Sadly the bolts were not made that long, and I had to improvise (used a wrench extension instead of the rotor fixation bolt that fitted right into the rotor hole). After a bit of torqueing the symbiosis started to move off the shaft. But not the way I was expecting it to.
Apparently the thing that keeps the starter gear from slipping away is the woodruff key hitting the needle bearing inside the starter gear. So whilst i was torqueing - the needle bearing (slightly knackered though) started to apear. And vuala, a few moments later it stayed there on the shaft. The symbiosis now being in my hands:

Yes you are right, the outer ring of the clutch "basket" looks like its been overheated (unless they are so from the factory).
So Ladder was right, starter clutch was gone and was blocking everything. But I don't understand how/why - as I said it was working (or at least I think it was working - how can one see a difference?) just before I broke down. It is so tight now that I am unwillingly thinking about this. Will try to disassemble these two beauties and inspect the damage in the near future. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #14186
aapo
aapo

Oddometer: 153
HI,

Any suggestions for 2component glue etc. for covering stator coils? I'm about to rebuil stator.
Neeed to be resistant for DR's very hot oil...

-aapo

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #14187
wundis
Adventurer

OK, I have managed to part the rotor from the starter gear using a lever fixed on a back bolt. It went quite easily as I was sure I was turning the gear in the right direction. After inspecting the starter clutch I did not find anything wrong with it, it was working as supposed to, no excessive wear. It must have blocked up during the moment of break down.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #14188
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Hey guys..

I just wanted to let yo know that last sunday I sold my bike to a friend..

I'll miss her so much, here's she going away

I sold her for a good reason.. I'm getting a bike I wanted for some time know.. a BMW Xchallenge

It was all really sudden, a friend has one with some farkles, TT protection parts, ohlins shock, excel rims, leo vince exhaust and some other stuff .. 25k km on the oddometer.. He wasnt planning on selling it at all, but for personal reasons he needed the money and knew I was interested.

The price was a little steep, paid 13K USD (normally here in ARG they go around 10K, sold the DR for almost 7K)

I'm picking her up on friday, I'm 2000km away from home for work reasons and I'm flying back home Thu evening.. cant wait!

here are a couple of pics

So its farewell guys, I'll point my friend to this thread, but he's not too good with english.. guess he'll be more lurking than an active member..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #14189
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I'd open that garage door a bit more, mate
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #14190
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapo View Post
HI,

Any suggestions for 2component glue etc. for covering stator coils? I'm about to rebuil stator.
Neeed to be resistant for DR's very hot oil...
I'd suggest an epoxi 2k resin like Araldit e.g.

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is online now   Reply With Quote