Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #14296
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
A few K,s further along, not a bad lookout.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #14297
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla View Post
It may not be functional for off road riding as it's obviously been built for the road. It's the concept, the detail and the work that has gone into it that you have to appreciate. I think it's incredible!
Cheers.
Well, actually it is "rough" approach to details that puts me off most (being perfectionist) - but this is purely subjective, no arguing from my side of course.

If you look closely you see a lot of it. Frame side covers at battery area - cutoffs from DYI supermarket piece of metal, not really correctly shaped, not "factory" feel. Belly pan pieces - rough bends, "approximate" shapes etc. etc.
I do prefer when bike have "lines" rather than "pieces"....but then I am old-fashioned
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #14298
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

After some really good twisty hair pin corners, about 50 atleast I needed to stop and have a cuppa at Wombyian caves nice spot here for camping too, then I kept riding home , had a close call with some roo,s twice .

Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #14299
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,806
Thanks for the photos, Rob. I always like seeing the opposite season.

Looks like a dry year for you. The countryside is remarkably similar to California. You'd feel right at home here.

We're in the middle of spring with green everywhere and the grass just starting to think about turning brown for the summer.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #14300
Longdude
Tall Geezer !

Oddometer: 62
Very cool Pics, reckon when my DR800 is finished, we could do a house swap for a month. I'll leave you the DR keys and a fridge full of beer

Suzuki DR 800 BIG / Triumph Tiger 955i.
Longdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #14301
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 364
Bluhduh Spring!!! I Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Thanks for the photos, Rob. I always like seeing the opposite season.

Looks like a dry year for you. The countryside is remarkably similar to California. You'd feel right at home here.

We're in the middle of spring with green everywhere and the grass just starting to think about turning brown for the summer.
Went for a ride last week +20 C and today its below 0 C and I'm shoveling snow.......But the photo's are great and have me dreaming
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #14302
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Canadian Bigs

Hello to everyone in Dr Big land!
I'd been thinking strongly of buying a DR650 for the last few years and also become interested in the DR BIGs early in 2012. My interest lead me to this thread on ADV and I read every page, (admittedly not every word) and devoured each photo.
In May of last year I was invited to attend a nearby ADV rally and brought along my only dual sport bike at the time, my 1976 Yamaha DT400, (2 stroke, twin shock enduro bike). At the rally were two BIGs, both 800's and I was able to get up close and study the bikes. This helped to make my decision and unfortunately I decided that the 650 was better suited to my size, stature and riding abilities. In June of 2012 I found a 2006 DR 650 and enjoyed over 8000 kilometers of riding a mix of pavement and gravel since.
This didn't stop me from following your thread though as I still have a desire to some day, own a DR BIG. (I'm partial to the orange and white 750's) I like the appearance, the rarity, the name- everything about the BIGs.
I've been wanting to post some photos from that ADV rally and better late than never I suppose.
I'll go back into lurk mode now but first I want to thank you folks for the many photos, the information and the restoration stories you have posted.
I hope you will enjoy a few pictures of what is probably a large percentage of the Canadian DR BIG population that visited here in Northern Ontario last May.
(there would have been three but one was found to be leaking fuel so the rider changed bikes at the last moment and arrived aboard some lesser brand...something that started with "k" I think it was...)

Relic

That is me looking very thoughtful as Steve, who also owns a 650 discusses the differences in the two DR's.

(flat repair)

I'll sneak in one of my 650 as I know some of you also have one of these.

Thanks!
1976 Yamaha DT400C; 1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #14303
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Well, actually it is "rough" approach to details that puts me off most (being perfectionist) - but this is purely subjective, no arguing from my side of course.

If you look closely you see a lot of it. Frame side covers at battery area - cutoffs from DYI supermarket piece of metal, not really correctly shaped, not "factory" feel. Belly pan pieces - rough bends, "approximate" shapes etc. etc.
I do prefer when bike have "lines" rather than "pieces"....but then I am old-fashioned
Perfectionist ha ha, and you did not notice the back wheel has 8 spokes and the front has 3 .
Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #14304
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Guzzirelic, thanks for posting the pic,s got any more we love em and welcome too.

For the blokes in snow , we are half way through our autum and the mornings where I live are getting down to 6.5 C and 20C above during the day. First frost will be around the 20th april in winter minus 5C is average for the mornings and about 13 to 15 daytime , not looking forward to it .
Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #14305
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Perfectionist ha ha, and you did not notice the back wheel has 8 spokes and the front has 3 .
That is expected. Rear from VFR - SSS. But no VFRs have sexy USD forks etc.
Since I had VTR1000 I can tell you folks converted those to SSS from VFR and even with 2 different wheels it looked OK.

DR in stock have different spoke pattern on front and rear wheel BTW
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #14306
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
After some really good twisty hair pin corners, about 50 atleast I needed to stop and have a cuppa at Wombyian caves nice spot here for camping too, then I kept riding home , had a close call with some roo,s twice .
my part of the world Rob. i grew up at Wombeyan caves. that tunnel was built by convicts well over 100 years ago. not long ago for you european blokes though.
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #14307
MrPopples
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Guys ... I need help, I can't keep my mind off the Mikuni flatside kit ! ( http://www.dr-big-shop.de/BIG_MotorTuning_140.html )
I keep thinking about it ... I KNOW it's too expensive, 600 euros is twice the price I could get if selling the bike today ... but damm, I want it so bad ...
MrPopples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #14308
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,806
If considering the carbs, I'd strongly advise to upgrade the entire intake tract including the filter and airbox. Particularly if you have an SR41 or 42 with the air intake from the side.

My recent poking around has shown me that this airbox is very restrictive so if you want to get the best from the bike and the carbs, do the whole thing.

The exhaust seems to have less of an affect on the way the bike runs but after adding the airbox and carbs, you pretty much have to improve that also for the bike to be at it's absolute best.

Then make certain you have the "A" style cam.

Next you will need to increase your budget for rear tires and also make certain your chain is of the highest quality.

This type of fun never comes cheap....but that's why you're riding this bike rather than a Chinese scooter.

Plus if you ever have a undeniably strong guilt attack, I'm certain you can always sell those parts to the rest of us who want them too

Apologies if this is not the kind of "help" that you were wanting.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #14309
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Rob, love your pics.
Spring is delayed here and still snowing. I'm not worried too much about it because I'm still far from being ready.
There is some progress though:
cylinder bored and honed. The deck surface was milled 0.09mms because there was some distortion. The shop who did it assured me that it will not affect camshaft timing, well I took their word for it.

Piston. The Spirolocks pin retainers took some time to install.

Well, there are still some 106mm pistons available, anyone interested let me know.

Oh and finally the cause of the failure that led to premature piston wear - a hole burnt into airbox by leaking exhaust gas:

mait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #14310
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
The Antigravity lithium 8 cell 240 CCA is what I use in my 800 yellow bike and found it to be very good so far my mistake I did say 130 CCA my mistake.
I was using the Oydesy PC 310 which is 100 CCA a bit gutless really.
I bought a motobatt MBTX14AU and found these are good for cranking, bought one locally they wanted 150 bucks got it for 130 thought this was good it has now shit itself after 15 months maybe old stock or something .
I now have found a place called http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/
and they sell them 70 bucks 12 postage so I thought I will try this brand again as it did crank the big over quite good , for any one else they sell or the different brands and the prices is right.
you got the motobat for less than 130 much less !!!!!
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote