Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Do a "completed sales only" eBay search (must be logged in) of identical listings to see which bid amounts have not met the "reserve price".

If the typical state 30 mph moped speed limitation is acceptable . . from a strictly cost perspective for the mechanically inclined, it is hard to beat the value of a NON-RUNNING 50cc 4-stroke (139QMB) CVT-drive scooter off Craigslist. Often all that is required is a valve adjustment and carb cleaning. Ignition coils, CDI modules, and stators are relatively cheap from eBay vendors. Some states do not even require these 50cc scooters to be insured or registered.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I've got a Wildfire 110cc pitbike I bought used for $190, and I like it. The motor has great power and runs smooth. The rest of the bike is pretty rough and cheap. The frame, footpegs, suspension and forks are farm implement tough and cheap. The plastics are toy-like and easily broken -- but cheap to replace. The throttle and levers are similarly toylike, but no big deal to replace w/ better stuff. As someone else mentioned, the stator and CDI are very cheap and easily replaced if they fail. Having spares is cheap insurance.

It's a very easy and fun bike to work on and parts and upgrades are very cheap.

That being said, if I were getting something to ride on the street for $500-600ish, I'd hit craigslist and find a decent used 80's-era Japanese motorcycle.

But if you prefer scooters and mopeds, and don't mind tinkering w/ the bike, and $500-$600 isn't going to kill you, then the Wildfire will probably be fun to ride, mod, and tinker with.
scottro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Ratski
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
I used to be the lead set up and tech for a Wildfire dealer. All in all they are okay the motors are pretty bulletproof but the electrics are a bit wonky, mostly just bad connections in the harnesses. (Cheap Connectors) We had a shop scoot we used for running parts and stuff and we would run that thing WFO from the second we started it till we got where we wer going and never had any motor problems. Someone mentioned the Helix look alike, I would avoid that one, its as big and heavy and comfy as a Helix but with a 150 motar that will only pull about 50 mph. On the other hand the shop scoot, a 50 we could run 42 on flat ground. If you want more info or have a speciic question, PM me.
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratski
Someone mentioned the Helix look alike, I would avoid that one, its as big and heavy and comfy as a Helix but with a 150 motar that will only pull about 50 mph. On the other hand the shop scoot, a 50 we could run 42 on flat ground. If you want more info or have a speciic question, PM me.
Ratski,
The CFMOTO Fashion Helix clone has a 244cc engine. A buddy I ride with has one and it can move right along.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
I've got a Wildfire 110cc pitbike I bought used for $190, and I like it. .
That was quite a find, congrats!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #21
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Ratski,
The CFMOTO Fashion Helix clone has a 244cc engine. A buddy I ride with has one and it can move right along.
I have been riding a 244cc CFMoto engine Chinese scooter since March 2008, over 12,600 miles on it, never miss a beat.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #22
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,985
wildfire scoot

All the Chinese cycles and scoots suffer the same basic problems.shoddy materials ,assembly and parts availability.If maintenanced thoroughly and used delicately they can be very user friendly.Keep in mind that the plastic is brittle the metal is soft and pourous ,threads on fasteners are often very easily damaged or stripped or simply coroded due to lousy material.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote