User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Numb Throttle hand?

So this weekend I went out and bought myself a new toy.
A brand new shiny Tiger 800XC. I love the bike so far, but my test drive wasn't long enough. After 10 or so miles at under 45mph my right hand starts to go numb. After 20 my left follows suit. Holding 65 the numbness goes away

So I am really confused none of my other bikes cause this, DR650 and KLX250. I can ride these for hours only to receive a sore butt. I am a little stretched out on the tiger, maybe leaning forward some. The only other bike I've been on that produces a similar discomfort is my brother's CBR600.

Does leaning forward put that much pressure on one's hands? Is the correct course of action to buy bar risers and move the bar towards me?
MudNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNation View Post
A brand new shiny Tiger 800XC. I love the bike so far, but my test drive wasn't long enough. After 10 or so miles at under 45mph my right hand starts to go numb. After 20 my left follows suit. Holding 65 the numbness goes away

So I am really confused none of my other bikes cause this, DR650 and KLX250. I can ride these for hours only to receive a sore butt. I am a little stretched out on the tiger, maybe leaning forward some. The only other bike I've been on that produces a similar discomfort is my brother's CBR600.

Does leaning forward put that much pressure on one's hands? Is the correct course of action to buy bar risers and move the bar towards me?

Maybe the stock grips are too skinny. Could try a wrap or foam grips or something to increase the diameter so you don't have to squeeze so tight.

Also, folks like those throttle locks, or cramp busters so you don't have to maintain such a grip on the throttle.

I'm sure bars will help as well. My stock vstrom bars had way too much pull back for me and would cramp my hands. I got something much straighter and have been happy since.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
I ride a VFR800. I get numb hands if I put any weight on them. I have learned to use my core muscles and knees to support my body, leaving almost no weight on my hands. This has pretty much cured the problem, with the added benefit of much lighter/more responsive steering. Anytime I feel numbness in my hands now, it is a reminder to take weight off the bars.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conedodger View Post
I ride a VFR800. I get numb hands if I put any weight on them. I have learned to use my core muscles and knees to support my body, leaving almost no weight on my hands. This has pretty much cured the problem, with the added benefit of much lighter/more responsive steering. Anytime I feel numbness in my hands now, it is a reminder to take weight off the bars.
That makes a lot of sense I think moving my bars back to straighten my posture will help a lot. Maybe some crunches too
Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 549
Quote:

Holding 65 probably more of the wind is hitting your chest and using a different set of muscles to sit upright.

Also don't discount vibrations
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Haha going from a a big single to a triple I don't notice any vibrations. I've already ordered a set of ROX 2" Pivot risers. I think they'll do the trick
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,572
Wrists straight?
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Wrists straight?
Yeah, I am pressing on the bars cause I am not used to leaning forward on a bike.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
Set up the ergos for your comfort and get a throttle-lock.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Yeah, I am pressing on the bars cause I am not used to leaning forward on a bike.
I thought the riding position on the XC was fairly upright...

Is there any chance the dealer's left the handlebars in a crappy/non standard position?

Also, IMO, you'd be far better off searching/posting in the "beasts" sub-forum - you'll access a lot more XC riders there.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
I have always developed numbness from riding, since I was in HS on any bike and rides over half an hour. Using the core muscles as opposed to weighting the wrists helps a lot. But I just have to take my hands off the grips periodically to roll my wrists and get the blood flowing. Fingertips turn white in cold weather too.

I give my wrists a break frequently, before they start acting up.

In 25 years, it hasn't gotten any worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
+1
Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Being a young and relatively new rider I have no idea whats comfortable. I've never been uncomfortable on my other bikes before, after I changed out the 2x4 seat on the DR.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Sit on you bike with your eyes closed, reach out as if to grab your grips, now open your eyes and make note of your hand position relative to factory.