ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What's faster, bike or cage?
Faster 97 56.07%
Slower 52 30.06%
The same 24 13.87%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
CJ3Flyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Eh? Are motorcycles faster than cars?

I am curious what the masses think.

I am not looking for lap times, top-speed or 1/4 mile times. I am talking about day-to-day "life". When running errands I am sure the cage is faster. A straight-up work commute may be a wash for me. I figure this poll may be a back-handed way of figuring who really is ATGATT FYI- I am self-confessed SOTGMOTT.

I get in the car, hit the starter, hit R while I am putting my seatbelt on. While the bike is significantly more rewarding (and I often choose it) by the time you gear off, stowed and then back on it seems to consume more time than is 'made up' with extra maneuverability or slipping to the head of the line at a red light. (There's no lane-splitting in GA so that doesn't help.)

Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
No comparison if you can lane split...

oh, sorry, did not mean to rub it in!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
No comparison if you can lane split...

oh, sorry, did not mean to rub it in!
Basically I knock a solid ten minutes off my 6 mile commute splitting.....and holy hell there is no comparison if I have to go somewhere around rush hour.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quicker if you squid, split, and then park on the footpath by a lot.

Next question how long is a piece of string?
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Quicker if you squid, split, and then park on the footpath by a lot.

Next question how long is a piece of string?

Dunno, that depends. African or European string?
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 615
The bike is faster. but the trip takes longer
Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
It is surprising how much faster the bike is with splitting/filtering. Peak hour the other week needed to go about 30km across the city. Google says 1 hour 30 just before I left. I did it in 50 including gearing up.

edit. the poll options don't make sense.

Vertical C screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 04:48 PM
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3Flyer View Post
When running errands I am sure the cage is faster.

I get in the car, hit the starter, hit R while I am putting my seatbelt on. by the time you gear off, stowed and then back on it seems to consume more time than is 'made up' with extra maneuverability or slipping to the head of the line at a red light.
No question, the bike. Use it for all errands other than if something is to big. I think the trick is wearing the right gear for shopping, ATRGATT. Short rubber sole leather boots, kelvar jeans, jacket. When you arrive at the shops park right near the store entrance, stick the helmet and gloves in the bike carry bag, unzip the jacket and wear everything into the store. Come out, goods in the bag, zip up jacket, put on helmet and gloves, gone.

I'll be in, served, out and gone while I'd still be driving around looking for a park if I'd taken the car.

P.S. I use a light 250 for shopping (XT250). A light easy to handle bike for errands makes a world of difference I think.

JohnCW screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 05:32 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
About the same for my commute cage or bike, I spend extra time putting on the gear, but the bike makes it up in city traffic. Now if there's a wreck or road construction, advantage goes to the bike of course. That's a 35 mile commute 15 of it city. Just running one or two errands, or a closer commute the advantages are for the car.

khager screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 08:53 PM
khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,806
I don't wear gear besides a helmet when doing errands, and that is the same time as putting on a seat belt and opening/closing a door. If the car is faster you are doing something wrong.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,806
And lol at the poll....what's faster, bike or cage...but the choices are faster,slower,same?? Shouldn't it be Bike/Cage/Same?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Buliwyf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Even though splitting is not cool in Ohio. I can squeeze by stopped traffic sometimes when it's boringly safe and I can get away clean, not hang around. Saves a ton of time. too bad that the time it takes to get my gloves, boots, helmet, back pack, and jacket on, negates the time saved.

And bikes can just plain be ridden quicker without damage. My DRZ soars down bumpy roads my Mustang has to crawl down. Even my Ducati handles bumps better. Even quality cars, like a Porsche, sustain tons of wear and tear on regular roads. And every track day means I have to crawl under the car and retorque every damn nut and bolt. Spirited road rides, club runs, poker runs, etc, etc, do the same. But the bikes can do the same stuff with hardly any maintenance at all. 30 min of nuts and bolts, chain lube, air pressure, done.

But. I've set some darn good times on longer trips with the Mustang. Mt. Washington to Tallahassee in 19 hours.

That's an average speed of 75mph. The trick is all the detector nonsense, being smart about speed, stopping only once per tank even if it means eating bad station food, and only stopping at gas stations visible from the highway.

The killer is my Mustangs weak 300 mile range. Duel fuel pumps would limit my range even more. Stopping for fuel way too often. I'd like to cut the floor out of the trunk and use a 30 gallon fuel cell instead! That would save tons of time on long trips

So a bike with a 100-150 mile range would be dog slow on long trips. Fast on short trips.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
You'd have to define "faster". Bicycles can keep up with cars in the city just as much as they can with motorcycles. Does that make them faster? Average speed NOT maximum speed is what governs your route time - this is something most people forget about. I've had someone on a bicycle pass me in the city after about a mile of city traffic (I had been splitting and even made some lights). Bicycles can accelerate faster than cars, though they stop acceleration at much lower speeds. Motorcycles can also accelerate faster than most cars. Top speed? Unless you're on a track, it doesn't really matter. So, in rural areas, cars and motorcycles may have similar average speeds, though motorcycles can take curves a little faster than cars. In the city (and in areas where you CAN split lanes), a motorcycle is faster overall if there is congestion.

I've found that on a bicycle, in a five-mile radius from home, it is just as fast, sometimes faster, than driving. Parking tends to be easier, though on a motorcycle it may be the same unless you "cheat" and park where it is either illegal or frowned upon (think sidewalks, hatched areas adjacent to disabled spots, and similar locations).

As an example, I had a commute of 4.1 miles (in the city). If I drove, part of my commute involved a short section of freeway with the rest on streets with limited stops. I was able to get to work by bicycle (stopping at stop signs/red lights) just as fast and parking was easier. On a bicycle, I was able to split lanes as well, similar to a motorcycle.

A long answer but not an easy one to answer with the limited criteria.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Certain times of the day, where I used to live the two mile trip to the grocery store was definitely faster on a bicycle down the bike trail , than trying to take a car thru the traffic and red lights.
khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,768
There isn't any place in my town where lane splitting is needed or really possible (single lane traffic). So in my town, the car wins because of the time it takes to gear up. (SOTGATT)

In areas with multi - lane heavy traffic, it would be different.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote