Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #751
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I'm without a top box and I'm considering an EMGO. Would it clash with my GIVI side cases? Also, would it make my ass look too big? ;)

http://m.flickr.com/photos/39442519@N05/7945708992/
Givi E26 - about the same size as the Emgo and the plain version is about the same price as the Emgo:

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #752
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Givi E26 - about the same size as the Emgo and the plain version is about the same price as the Emgo:

Will it fit a helmet?

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #753
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Will it fit a helmet?
Yes. It's actually a wee bit bigger than the EMGO Travel Trunk.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #754
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 523
Pelican + KLR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
JeeBUS.
Haven't had my JC Whitney top box on my KLR in a year.
Its going back on tonight.
I can't WAIT for the ugly!
I have a Pelican 1500 on the back of my '08 KLR650 as a tailbox.

Am I gonna get kicked out of the KLR Klub for being "too BMW"?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #755
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
I have a Pelican 1500 on the back of my '08 KLR650 as a tailbox.

Am I gonna get kicked out of the KLR Klub for being "too BMW"?
How did you attach it? I want to hang one on my 1200 Bandit, but (I should ride a KLR) I'm too cheap to buy a bracket and want to make my own.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #756
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 928
When it's just me I go with the side cases only.

When it's me and the wifey she likes just the top case for back support.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #757
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
I love mine

Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #758
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Just an observation. I was digging around GlobeRiders and came across this...

Quote:
...In terms of equipment, your bike must be equipped with a set of metal, lockable panniers to carry your gear., and also protect your legs in the event of an accident or "get-off". We DO NOT recommend installation of a top case or trunk - in almost every "case", the rear carrier, rack, or trunk mounting bracket has fatigued, then fractured, and the top case has fallen off - in some instances, the riders didn't realize this until much later, and the top case was never recovered. A soft tail pack, back pack or duffel is recommended, but remember these cannot be secured when you are away from the bike.

In a similar vein, we do not recommend the use of a tank bag. Your belongings cannot be secured - help keep (basically) honest people honest! A tank bag will often get in the way of a proper riding posture when you are up on the pegs. And, like the top case or trunk, we have yet to see a tank bag securing system that worked for the entire duration of one of our tours....
http://www.globeriders.com/tours_pag...q.shtml#faq014
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #759
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cairo View Post

It aint gospel though.

Have they never heard of PacSafe? Their stuff is often more secure than the cheezy lock mechanisms on most hard panniers. They can even lock your tankbag to your bike, which if you use something modest-sized like a Wolfman Enduro, won't be in the way. You could also use it like a backpack when walking around.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #760
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cairo View Post

Meh.. I guess they are trying to plan for the lowest common denominator when it comes to riders?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #761
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Like I said,"just an observation". Off-topic for a second, I don't doubt their trips are fun, but I wonder how sterile they are. It seems like they have their logistics down in terms of shipping your bike from A to B. Anyway...

I personally have never used a top-box, so I can't give any for them, but after read the posts here I can surely see how they're useful when commuting around town.

I'm more for the stuff-sack/dry-bag arrangement myself.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #762
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
I love mine

I love that bike. drool.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #763
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I love that bike. drool.

Awww thank you :-)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #764
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 523
Pelican case luggage rack attachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
How did you attach it? I want to hang one on my 1200 Bandit, but (I should ride a KLR) I'm too cheap to buy a bracket and want to make my own.
(Shoulda quoted the original post more: this pertains to installing a Pelican 1500 case on a '08 and '06 KLR650)
First I took the luggage rack off the bike and figured out where I wanted my retaining points. I then drilled holes for these pins that have holes through them for putting through a cotterpin or similar. I don't have a photo of the bottom of the rack, but each of the pins goes through a steel portion of the rack for strength.

Then I inverted the luggage rack and put it on the bottom of the Pelican to mark the hole positions. Drilled the holes and made 'em just a teensy bit oversized to the pins. Don't want too much slop but don't want to have to position the case with 1/2mm precision to get it to slip over the pins either.

Here's what we end up with (I made a t-bar out of strap metal pop-riveted together to spread the load. Obviously you've gotta plan your holes on the rack and case to fit the spacing of the holes on the strap metal). You could of course use fender washers instead of the strap metal.

Then you mark the too-tall pins for where you need to cut 'em off. Remove them and do so, and file or grind the cut ends to a bit of a chamfer. Here's the final outcome.

With this setup the case is very firmly attached, is easily removable, yet is secured to the bike once you lock the Pelican case since nobody can get inside to remove the hairpins. I carry all my tools and stuff that I want on the bike every day in the case, and keep my "removables" in sidebags or elsewhere. So you can either remove it when you go into a hotel room at night or can leave it on the bike locked up.

The other beauty of this setup is I have 2 KLRs. One is my 2 wheel ADV bike, the other is a 06 attached to a Sputnik sidecar for my wife and I. I have the same setup on the '06 sidecar rig so I can move the tailcase to whichever bike I'm going to use. Makes it easy to be sure I have all the stuff I may need for repairs on either bike. Yes, you do have to empty the box to get down to the pins to disconnect it, but it's a minor hassle. I'm good at it now, I know how everything fits just so so I can unload, transfer the box to the other bike, and shut the lid done in 3 minutes.

PS: I do have a piece of thin rubber over the bottom of the case/strapping/pins to protect the contents from the tiny bit of protruding pins. I just used some of that perforated rubber like you use to line toolbox drawers. Works well.

Here it is on the '06 w/sidecar.

Here's the luggage rack on the '08 with the case NOT mounted. I choose to leave the pins mounted to the rack even when the case isn't on there. Just easier that way for me. I retain the pins by using smaller hairpin clips to keep them "sitting up" above the surface so they are ready to accept the case.

However, I've found when I throw my leg over the empty rack, the pins stick up enough to catch my pantleg once in a while. So I just cut some rubber spacers to put over the pins to help "shed" the fabric and not catch it so bad. Works well. I just transfer the rubber spacers and small hairpins to whichever KLR doesn't have the tailbox on it.

Inexpensive, easy to make, and very sturdy. Have run this setup multiple thousands of miles and it holds the case very securely and is showing no signs at all of wear. Hope this helps!

ADW screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 07:32 AM Reason: Add an idea
ADW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #765
TacocaT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
My sweet Igloo topbox at the office yesterday.
TacocaT is offline   Reply With Quote