Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1111
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post

I'm also now suspecting that the somewhat irregular front-tire wear I have seen is due to my topcase habit. No more!
I would actually check your forks and seals. Make sure your adjustments are equal in both legs and you don't have any fork oil leaking. Running lower tire pressure can also cause a tire to wear funny. I had a bad front tire due to a weeping fork seal on one of my previous bikes. I seriously doubt the top case will cause uneven front tire wear. I have gone through 4 sets of tires on my KTM 950 with over 43,000 miles and probably at least half of those miles running the top case. Front tire always wore perfectly evenly.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #1112
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 841
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people here have engineering degrees and work for BMW and they also race professionally.
Read your manual folks! My top case instructions, case in point, specifically says no more than 10 lbs, and I haven't had a problem with it. It's damn ugly but it serve my intended purposes. It stores my helmet, jacket and a few other items like gloves and a bottle of water. It also gives my pillion a false sense of security. But there is always that person that puts way to much weight in those and wonder why his bike handles funny, and why oh why, did the subframe crack? It has nothing to do with the top case as demonstrated by thousands of commuters across the world and especially in Europe, and everything to do with illiteracy. But I can empathize with part of OP's reaction, they are damned ugly and I rather not have it on at all. It's fucking embarrassing. My friend had his without his bags, it looks like a sick camel wearing a hump on his ass.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #1113
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,216
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #1114
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 222
installed my V46 on the wife's F700GS, and put a brand-spanking-new e52 maxia on my multi. in addition to being able to carry more crap, my fuel mileage has gone up by ~2mpg. hah!