Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
wazman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Garage Night Episode 5: Steering head bearings WATCH NOW!

We're back! In this video we fix Pete's steering head bearings - showing how to drive out the old bearing cups, get the worn-out bearings off the steering post, thoroughly pack the new bearings with grease (important!) and install everything. Please watch and leave some feedback, either here or by commenting at our site.

wazman screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 03:39 PM
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,336
Thumb

Fantastic!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,351
Nice work, gents!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
You forgot the part where you put the upper race where the lower race goes then forget which part of the garage you left the lower race

Very nice work guys, im impressed proper bearing packing technique was shown, thats not very common information and its really important!

What i do for steering head bearings is use heat and cold to do the work for me. You do have to smack the old races out of the steering head, but for that pesky bearing on the steering head shaft i freeze the entire unit until its cold through and through, then i put a torch with a fine point of heat right on the inner race on the steering shaft, the bearing just falls off if you tap the shaft on your bench :) I then freeze the shaft and heat the bearing and slip them on. I really dont like to hammer on new bearings, it tends to brunell them before you even use them :o
I also use cold when i put the outer races in the steering head, just freeze em real good, heat up the bore where the races go, and the suckers just drop right in with no hammering :)
Another neat tip; You wouldnt think it, but pvc is stronger than you would think, you can actually use schedule 40 as a reliable bearing driver as long as you use a deadblow or a rubber mallet and dont go nuts :)

Inane Cathode screwed with this post 07-19-2008 at 10:44 PM
Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #5
wazman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
Very nice work guys, im impressed proper bearing packing technique was shown, thats not very common information and its really important!

What i do for steering head bearings is use heat and cold to do the work for me ....
It's a good tip to put the bearing cups in the freezer. I don't think I would resort to freezing anything else, or heating the headstock etc. - but if you've got the facilities and the time, and you want to do the job as delicately as possible with minimum hammering, then why not?

Though you've got me worried that next time I go for a ride in the freezing British winter all my bearings are going to drop out ...

PS - someone mentioned in another forum that a bead of arc weld on the bearing cup will distort it enough to make it pop out easily. It seems plausible but carries an element of risk to the bike's electronics, and by the time you've unplugged everything you probably could have just belted the cups out. What do others think?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
smokinjoe
hippie kicker

Oddometer: 3,003

Nice job, fellas!!!! Proper bearing greasing isn't something you see very often and I'd say that's part of the problem with newer bikes....that and the fact there seems to be no grease at all in some cases!

As far as striking an arc on the inner race to get it off......no way in hell! Once you've introduced that current and completed the circuit, all your other bearing surfaces will be junk. It may be possible to run the current right through the inner race itself, but is that a chance you really want to take?

If you won't stand behind our troops....do us all a favor and stand in front of them!!!!

Speak well of your enemies. Afterall, you made them!!!

what are you lookin at, dicknose!!!!
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
moriverdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
nice video, cant wait for the second half of the chain video.

my brother-n-law showed me a trick (over the phone 2000 miles away) when packing bearings. same general method as the video only difference is you smack the bearing against the palm with the grease. after doing this for a while you will see a perfect bead of grease working its way up between the rollers to the other side of the bearing and out the other side.
moriverdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Great video.I was surprised how easy the inner races came out.I always struggle with these especially the upper one.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Patsy
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,697
Outstanding!

Thanks for the easy-to-follow and well-edited video.

I only wish I'd seen it before I paid a mx engine builder to do the SHB on my 03 Dakar - the first work anyone but me has done on the bike since I bought it.

The guy forgot or just didn't think it necessary to torque the front caliper bolts when reassembling and after 20 miles one vibrated out. Luckily, when I grabbed a handful of mushy front brake it was at 20 mph on a gravel road and it was the lower bolt that was lost, allowing the caliper to harmlessly rotate forward. Had it been the other bolt it might not have been pretty.

From that point on (30K miles on the bike - now about to turn over 44K) no one else works on it.

Thanks again for the Garage Night Series! Great work!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Bird76Mojo
Bikeless :(

Oddometer: 1,437
Nice video! Very informative and helpful, especially for those who have'nt had the pleasure of doing this job already..

GB

Always glad to help a fellow rider..
Bird76Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
leonphelps
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,024
Subscribed on iTunes!
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
DirtPony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Can not access the video says it has been removed please help as I have to this to my bike over Christmas
DirtPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,810
Thumbs down

Clip gone!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
wazman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello all! The clip is back up - I've re-embedded it in the original post. Our original video hosting provider seems to be going down the sinkhole, so we're moving everything across to YouTube ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtPony View Post
Can not access the video says it has been removed please help as I have to this to my bike over Christmas
Old 02-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post
Though you've got me worried that next time I go for a ride in the freezing British winter all my bearings are going to drop out ...
They won't. Everything will be at the same temperature, so the tolerances between parts won't change. Using the expansion/contraction of metals by changing the relative temperature of parts that have an interfernece fit it THE preferred method of assembly, when heating or freezing the parts is practical.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote