Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #16
IcyDeath
Óglaigh na hÉireann

Oddometer: 20,852
Well, seeing the video it isn't quite as bad as I anticipated. The punch wasn't what hurt... it was having his face planted that caused the damage. I can't say if that was intentional... the face drag, that is... but he still caused it, whether it's what he intended, or not. Either way it was a sucker punch, from the blind side. What pisses me off is the fact that he's wearing the "A" on his chest... he should be a guide for his teammates... not a thug.

IcyDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #17
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,330
He meets with the league 'enforcer today in Toronto.

The whole thing was caught on tape from start to finish. Saw the footage from a couple different angles. The guy was out cold before he hit the ice. You can see in the one angle cleary how his body went limp before he went down. He did get hit in retaliation for the shot he gave the guy a few seconds earlier, but that's no excuse. The radio this morning mentioned that it was the accused's second time for this kind of shit, so with priors, he's fucked.

And rightly so. Even if he were to get back on the ice now, the other teams will turn him into hamburger.His own teammates won't protect him either. I've played hockey all my life, and that's way over the line. Throw in the injury caused, and that boy is screwed.

But then you have the politics. The team has a lot invested in him. If he gets banned, they lose all that it cost the team owner to get him. Signing money, draft picks, potential loss of revenue due to loss of his contribution, and resale value. So the team financially will not want to have him banned, and will be pulling out the high-priced help to keep him. Remember Shane Corson and what he did? To me, he got away with it.

This prick has the chance to do so too, the precedent is there.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:31 AM   #18
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
........He did get hit in retaliation for the shot he gave the guy a few seconds earlier......
...which apparently was in retaliation for a hit from a previous game......

I can see how the vendetta's add to the excitement of the game, but it appears, in this case at least, that the level of violence just escalates from hit to hit to hit until something like this happens.

There seems to be a vein of players right now that just don't know where the line is drawn, it's the "honour amongst thieves" thing.

Is this just with the younger players who might think they have something to prove and haven't been taught proper respect yet?
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #19
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
Is this just with the younger players who might think they have something to prove and haven't been taught proper respect yet?
From what I've seen, there's more violence in the junior leagues. They have more to prove and less to risk.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #20
IcyDeath
Óglaigh na hÉireann

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
From what I've seen, there's more violence in the junior leagues. They have more to prove and less to risk.
It depends on the league. There are some semi-pro teams... pro-hopefuls, per se... in which having an enforcer, someone who can fight well on skates regardless of his actual ability, is an integral part of the game. Other leagues, the players try to avoid fighting because they simply can't afford a major injury... they don't make enough money.

But fighting is pretty much a part of the game... it has been since before I was born. It's the sucker punches that piss me off. It's an unwritten rule, you call someone out, you drop your gloves and go. You don't grab the back of someone's sweater and punch him in the side of the face.

IcyDeath screwed with this post 03-10-2004 at 03:17 PM
Old 03-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #21
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius

Oddometer: 26,174
I'll tell you what's creepy about this video. It's like watching the Zapruder film. You know something's about to happen; something that's going to change the lives of at least two people. Then, bam, the hit comes and you wince and curl up like a prawn.

Brutal. Absolutely brutal.
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #22
mleir
Evil Doer

Oddometer: 2,050
Well heres my take (and I know you all were wondering when mleir would give his)...
Being from the "State of Hockey" and all...

Moore made a hit on Bertuzzi's team mate a month ago or so. Bertuzzi's coach more than likly told him to "make an example" of Moore. It's Bertuzzi's job on the team. He is the enforcer. The way he did it was wrong. It was a sucker punch from behind. The rest is probably just bad damn luck. Moore was out cold on his feet. Had he not been knocked out I would guess he's neck would not have been broken in the fall (could have braced for the impact) or would Bertuzzi been able to "drive" his face into the ice (which is what you get for not wearing a face guard IMHO, so to me the face shit is a non-issue).

It is very sad that Moore was injured in such a manor. Bertuzzi did a real bad thing with the right (in the hockey world) intentions. No one wanted this to happen but it did. Bertuzzi should get a suspension for the hit, jail time? Hell no. Are they going to have a trail every time two players "drop gloves"? Fuck that, its part of the game. You know the risk when you go on the ice. He didn't hit him with a stick or puck his skate across his calf. He hit him with a padded glove. Cheap shot, Yes. Intentional, no.

With out enforcers The Great One would have had about 5 years cut off his career...

"I have large, pendulous breasts." -BMW Rider
mleir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:27 PM   #23
IcyDeath
Óglaigh na hÉireann

Mleir... good post and I agree with the majority of it.

The only things that I disagree with are:

1) The "padded glove" statement. I'd rather be hit with a bare fist than a hockey gloved hand... I've had both and prefer the prior.

2) It doesn't matter if he intended to face plant Moore. If Moore had not been sucker punched it wouldn't have happened.

BTW... who would you say the Enforcers were with Ol' Gretz? Beukeboom? Tikkanen? Messier? MacTavish?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:34 PM   #24
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
slimy characterFuck Hockey. It's as slimy as "Professional" boxing. If the NHL really wanted to stop the fighting, they'd have a no tolerance policy. Something like:
  • Incident-1: 1 month suspension with loss of salary
  • Incident 2: 1 season suspension with loss of salary
  • Incident 3: Lifetime ban (see Pete Rose)
  • Any team with three or more players currently suspended, automatically loses their franchise.
Problem solved. Unless and until the morons running the NHL put some teeth into their bullshit words, it means nothing (much like the the fuckwads in charge of Major League Baseball).

Oh yeah, why didn't the fucking cops slap the cuffs on Bertuzzi right then? Fucking pussies. Oh yeah, it's easy to beat up homey and other easy targets, but where are they with this shit goes down? Fucking donut eaters.

I hate 'em all.

M
Old 03-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #25
IcyDeath
Óglaigh na hÉireann

Marc... lets turn everything into pussy ass sports like African Handball

My feelings are that the suspension should last as long as the player effected is off ice and add three games. Fighting is a part of the sport.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #26
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyDeath
BTW... who would you say the Enforcers were with Ol' Gretz? Beukeboom? Tikkanen? Messier? MacTavish?

Ol Cementhead.

Dave Semenko. Went drinking with him a couple of times. Really nice guy, and his job was take out anyone who went after Gretzky. And that order was direct from the owner, Pocklington.

He stayed in shape in a gym. Heavily into tae-kwon-do, and for his size very light on this feet. Moved very quietly, was kind of spooky.

He was the reason no one head-hunted Gretzky. He would tear them a new asshole if they did. Heard a story once about a guy who hit Wayne with a cheap shot late in a game, when Dave was in the box. Game ends. Everyone off to the dressing rooms. Dave gets cleaned up, goes over to the other teams bus driver, and invites him over to the Oilers locker room to meet Wayne. While this guy is having the time of his life getting autographed jerseys from the team, Dave goes back to the bus, sitting in the drivers seat with a hat on. Waits until the asshole who hit Wayne comes out, then lays a beatin on him for the cheap shot he gave Wayne.

You didn't fuck with Semenko.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #27
IcyDeath
Óglaigh na hÉireann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10

Ol Cementhead.
Early days... I don't think a hit that early would have cost Gretz 5 years... and Wayne is a bit of a different story, since he avoided fights at all cost. Sometimes that sucks since you automatically give a team a man advantage during fisticuffs.

But that's just me...

IcyDeath screwed with this post 03-10-2004 at 04:25 PM
Old 03-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #28
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyDeath
Early days... I don't think a hit that early would have cost Gretz 5 years... and Wayne is a bit of a different story, since he avoided fights at all cost. Sometimes that sucks since you automattically give a team a man advantage during fisticuffs.

But that's just me...

It's called h-o-c-k-e-y,

not F-r-i-d-a-y N-i-g-h-t F-i-g-h-t-s.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #29
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

NHL to announce Bertuzzi decision on Thursday morning

By SHI DAVIDI -- Canadian Press

TORONTO -- Todd Bertuzzi will know his fate Thursday morning.

The NHL will announce its decision on the Vancouver Canucks star winger at 9 a.m. EST Thursday with Colin Campbell, the league's vice-president and disciplinarian, and chief legal officer Bill Daly holding a briefing one hour later at the league's Toronto office.

A lengthy suspension is expected.

On Wednesday, Campbell held a disciplinary hearing Wednesday into Bertuzzi's attack on Steve Moore. Bertuzzi, Canucks GM Brian Burke and NHLPA officials were present.

The hearing was supposed to start at 9 a.m. EST at the NHL's office, on the 11th floor of the Air Canada Centre, but was delayed to around 1 p.m. and ended just over an hour later.

The Score TV sports network showed Bertuzzi and Burke quickly leaving in a black limo without speaking to the large media contingent.

Moore was hospitalized with a fractured neck and a concussion after he was sucker-punched by Bertuzzi in the third period of a 9-2 Colorado win Monday night at Vancouver's GM Place.

The Avalanche rookie landed face first on the ice, with Bertuzzi on top of him.

There has been bad blood between the two teams since a hit by Moore in a game Feb. 16 sidelined Canucks captain Markus Naslund for three games with a concussion. Moore was not penalized on the play.

Outside the Air Canada Centre on Wednesday, two fans waited along with reporters, who interviewed both in the absence of any other news.

One wore a Canucks shirt and hockey gloves with a sign taped to a hockey stick that said "Colin, Ernie says free Bert."

The sigh had pictures of Muppets Ernie and Bert on the sign as well as a Bertuzzi photo, newspaper clipping and hockey card

The other held up a sign asking for a four-year ban of Bertuzzi and a fine of $3.2 million.

Striking CN railworkers also arrived at the Air Canada Centre to take advantage of the assembled media and draw attention to their own protest.

Monday night's ugly incident rekindled memories of Marty McSorley, then with the Boston Bruins, being charged with assault in Vancouver after knocking out then-Canuck Donald Brashear with a stick to the head in February 2000.

McSorley, suspended by the NHL for a year, was convicted of assault and given an 18-month conditional discharge.

Vancouver police say they are investigating the Bertuzzi incident.

Matt Johnson of the Los Angeles Kings was handed a 12 game suspension for deliberately injuring Jeff Beukeboom of the New York Rangers in 1998. Beukeboom's subsequent head injury eventually forced him out of the game.

Philadelphia goalie Ron Hextall also received a 12 game suspension for attacking Montreal's Chris Chelios during a playoff game in 1989 while Owen Nolan, then of the San Jose Sharks, got 11 games for hitting Grant Marshall in the head in 2001.

Winnipeg's Jimmy Mann got 10 games for sucker-punching Pittsburgh's Paul Gardner in 1982 while Ruslan Salei of Anaheim was hit with a 10-game suspension for hitting Mike Modano of the Dallas Stars from behind in 1999.

Source
Old 03-10-2004, 04:28 PM   #30
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,401
one of the problems you see with hockey these days is that younger players have no respect for the stick. when they are playing junior, high school, or college hockey they are wearing masks and many are wearing neck protectors so they have no idea what kind of damage can be inflicted with a stick. thats one of my problems with hockey.

second, let the players fight. i think that with the automatic majors for fighting and the strictness with which fights are now being dealt that many players keep getting so frustrated and mad that they think the only way they can deal is to pull some bush league bullshit like bertuzzi did. first, he should be suspended for the rest of the season, all of the post season, and 20 games next year. fine him, fine him huge. if the law is already involved good, if nothing else make that fuck tard pick up trash byt he highway for about 500 hours. that will teach him. that sucks, you know if youve ever done it.

charlie

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: