ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #31
PbdBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Just did mine also. Same problems - slow satellite aquisition and losing date/time. Fortunately I do have a very fine point solder pencil which made things a bit easier. My eyes are shot too but I do have a nice set of magnifiers. old battery 1.5v - new battery 2.8v.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #32
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,580
Took mine apart last night. After taking out the case screws, I gently pried the case apart just a little on the bottom seam. Once it got going, it slid a thumbnail in and separated the rest.

I also noted the connector in the back half of the case for the memory would have to be carefully mated going back in. And I had the front case thumb rocker switch flat cable come loose and will reinsert that carefully when putting it back together.

I did go to Radio Shack last night and get a little stand magnifier. That makes it a whole lot easier to see the battery connections. It is a darned little thing. I will make sure I take a dental pick and clean the space between the connections on the PC board to ensure it does not short after I solder it.

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 03:31 PM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #33
9Dave
Bazinga!

Well, that was easy. I had my soldering iron set to 30W and still had a little bit of problem getting the old battery loose. Didn't want to heat anything too much. Set the new one in place, held it with some needle nose, soldered one lug, then the other, and it was done.

I put everything back together in reverse order. No real tricks, just carefully mated the memory connector in back, and then pulled out the flat cable connector with a little flat bladed screwdriver, slid the cable in, and locked it back down. Took it outside and voila! It works, as does the audio, and everything else.

Thanks,all for the tips.

dunno.....
Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #34
swinada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
thanks for all the tips, i guess i have to try that too on mine. I still hope leaving it powered on and plugged in for a few days will fix it, but at least now i know what the cause is. Thanks
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #35
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Thumb

Great job: tsizmo, 9Dave, Noblehops & everyone for their detailed pics and info. Just completed the new battery install. Went fine, except I forgot to re-install the copper ribbon for the power connector!! Had to take it apart again-- now working great!!

My problem was shutdown during use. Heard "something" rolling around inside the 276C. It was the BATTERY- completely fell off the solder points-- pig tails in tact. With out the pics- I wouldn't have seen where the battery connected to the circuit board!

Thanks again!!

Lee Ullmann
LeeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #36
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,500
Well, I replaced my battery this morning but the clock still is not correct when turning the unit on. It still takes a long time to find satellites as well. Any ideas?
TAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #37
ObiWanJak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Double check the GPS time prior to getting a position fix. If it is reverting back to the time of the previous GPS time sync (instead of counting up and showing current time following a shut down), then it's still a back up battery problem. Did you check the battery voltage prior to installation? It the battery was old, it may not hold a charge. You can also check voltage after installation by measuring across the two prongs that hold the back up battery in place in the GPS. If you check that voltage after installation, you should have the same voltage as prior to installation. If you have 0 volts, then you probably shorted the battery connection while soldering. Check for continuity and try again. In any case, if you start out with a bad battery, it won't work at all.

Loren
ObiWanJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Well, I replaced my battery this morning but the clock still is not correct when turning the unit on. It still takes a long time to find satellites as well. Any ideas?
Is the time off in time zones? You may have have to reset that.

After the initial fix after the battery replacement, my 376c has no problems outside acquiring satellites. Check the antenna connection, etc.

dunno.....
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #39
ObiWanJak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I think the time zone setting will only effect the local time on the gps, probably not the time to acquire. The emphemeris data should get bounced against the zulu time in the gps and not be affected by time zone offset.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Is the time off in time zones? You may have have to reset that.

After the initial fix after the battery replacement, my 376c has no problems outside acquiring satellites. Check the antenna connection, etc.
ObiWanJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #40
DonM
Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer: 174
I posed the question of replacing the small inside battery to inprove sat aquisition and timekeeping to Garmin customer service. Their reply was that the inside battery does not effect timekeeping or sat aquisition, but from the posts here...I don't buy it! If its not for keeping a clock going, WTF is it for?
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #41
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM
I posed the question of replacing the small inside battery to inprove sat aquisition and timekeeping to Garmin customer service. Their reply was that the inside battery does not effect timekeeping or sat aquisition, but from the posts here...I don't buy it! If its not for keeping a clock going, WTF is it for?
Well, it really doesn't affect time keeping per se. Once you acquire the satellites and load the data from them, the time and tracking will be just fine.

What it does affect is internal memory. When the unit loses the satellite data it has acquired previously, it has to reload all the info before being truly functional again, and re-locate itself. Then it will work, but it will take a couple minutes, and you should stay in one place. Moving just lengthens the process.

dunno.....
Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #42
DonM
Do-dah Do-dah

Got my 376c apart and internal batt. = .5v. Digikey shows a 3 week backorder @~$3 each. Emailed batterybob.com to see if he has one, I'm betting he buys from digidkey and reships as his price is $10. If he's got it, I'll buy it.

Thanks for the great advice here!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #43
DonM
Do-dah Do-dah

Got the battery in and installed. 376 is back to new!

Thanks for the guidance on this surgery.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #44
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,911
Talking

Just did the battery in my 276 Thanks for all the valuable info posted here. Got the battery from Digi-Key btw. To reseal the antenna I just used a small (!) dab of 3M 5200 sealant. This or silicone should keep the unit watertight.

rider1150gsadv screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 12:28 PM Reason: typo
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #45
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,233
Bookmarked for future use.