ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #46
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,794
Just finished this up on a used unit that I got a great deal on - or at least its a great deal now that it works well!

Many thanks to the OP and all ya'll advriders for good info and fixes!

Only issue I had was not unhooking the flat cable before trying to pull the circuit board out, but I spotted it before it was too late.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #47
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,472
tag for later. I was thinking of ordering a replacement for my 378, but might just do this and keep it a bit longer.

I'll just edit my post to add -

Don't try this after reading just the first how to post! It's an old thread, so I can't believe I'm the first to say it's a lousy how to post. It skips steps, and ends way too soon. Read all the other posts as well, and you will get a much better idea of what you are getting in to.
I took it apart, looked at that tiny little battery, saw what it was going to take to get it out and solder a new one back in, and decided I can wait the two minutes it takes to re auto locate every time I use it.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...

ImaPoser screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 07:47 PM
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #48
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
tag for later. I was thinking of ordering a replacement for my 378, but might just do this and keep it a bit longer.

I'll just edit my post to add -

Don't try this after reading just the first how to post! It's an old thread, so I can't believe I'm the first to say it's a lousy how to post. It skips steps, and ends way too soon. Read all the other posts as well, and you will get a much better idea of what you are getting in to.
I took it apart, looked at that tiny little battery, saw what it was going to take to get it out and solder a new one back in, and decided I can wait the two minutes it takes to re auto locate every time I use it.

It's really no problem at all.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #49
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop

Worst part is seeing the damned thing.

Magnifying thingy and a low wattage soldering iron and you are all set.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #50
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
If you are equipped to work on small electronics, I'm sure it's not. I work on big things. I have more wrenches over 1 inch than under. In my trade, 1/16" is a tight tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave

Worst part is seeing the damned thing.

Magnifying thingy and a low wattage soldering iron and you are all set.
I was looking for the voila, it's done ending, not the now it's time to go buy a magnifying work stand, low voltage soldering iron, and hope you don't screw anything up one.

I'm sure those of you who have experience toying around with electronic boards and small electrical crap see it as brain dead simple. After reading and looking at the pictures in that first post, I expected this to be like replacing the battery in an Ipod. It's not.

Just wanted to give any folks who aren't familiar with this kind of stuff another point of view before they go inside their GPS. It's not like the unit is junk if you don't replace it, so I can't see taking the chance at ruining a perfectly functioning unit just so it finds itself quicker when I go to use it.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #51
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
If you are equipped to work on small electronics, I'm sure it's not. I work on big things. I have more wrenches over 1 inch than under. In my trade, 1/16" is a tight tolerance.

I was looking for the voila, it's done ending, not the now it's time to go buy a magnifying work stand, low voltage soldering iron, and hope you don't screw anything up one.

I'm sure those of you who have experience toying around with electronic boards and small electrical crap see it as brain dead simple. After reading and looking at the pictures in that first post, I expected this to be like replacing the battery in an Ipod. It's not.

Just wanted to give any folks who aren't familiar with this kind of stuff another point of view before they go inside their GPS. It's not like the unit is junk if you don't replace it, so I can't see taking the chance at ruining a perfectly functioning unit just so it finds itself quicker when I go to use it.

That was the first time I've ever done anything like that at all. Just used a standard soldering iron and a small screwdriver.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #52
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
That was the first time I've ever done anything like that at all. Just used a standard soldering iron and a small screwdriver.
Quote:
Well, I replaced my battery this morning but the clock still is not correct when turning the unit on. It still takes a long time to find satellites as well. Any ideas?

Did you ever get it to work right?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #53
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Did you ever get it to work right?

Yeah, I let it completely discharge then recharge and it's worked like new ever since.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #54
greenlizard
adventure lite

Oddometer: 131
Yesterday I replaced the internal battery on my 2 year old refurb 276C. I used the wire glue method to attach the new battery. So far, so good. I let the glue set overnight, reassembled the unit this morning and yippee-ki-yea it lives again! I tested the old battery for charge and got around .3 volts. Both new batteries I bought carried about 2.75 volts. I bought two batteries because my learning curve tends to be, ahh.... steep. The only diffficult part was removing the original battery without damaging the board connections. I used a knife blade as recommended and worried the spot welds until they broke free. I then scuffed the contact areas as well as the new battery surfaces with a piece of plumber's roll cloth backed abrasive. Not ideal, but it was what I had.
My only concern now is the life of the wire glue since the 276C rides on my TE610 in a standard Touratech mount. We'll see how the glue holds up with the vibration and slamming around. If I get a failure I'll try again with solder.
Thanks for the info, guys.
greenlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #55
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 621
Does the gps fail to attain sattiletes if/when this battery fails? or does is just slow the process?
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #56
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1
Does the gps fail to attain sattiletes if/when this battery fails? or does is just slow the process?
It will eventually acquire them. Just takes a little, or a lot, of time. You can go into the menu and go through the manual process for acquisition. That will help it along.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #57
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 621

Quote:
It will eventually acquire them. Just takes a little, or a lot, of time. You can go into the menu and go through the manual process for acquisition. That will help it along.
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #58
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
If mine sits for longer than a couple days, I just hit new location, autolocate and it usually takes two minutes or so to come up.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #59
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJak
I'm going to revive an older thread here. I tried to order the battery as suggested here, but I never was able to get it to take a charge. I suspect that due to the manufacturer discontinuing them, they may be reaching the end of their shelf life. I did find a Sanyo 3.0V rechargeable w/ similar specs (3.5 mah instead of 3.0, but same voltage) from Digi-key. This battery also already has tabs, so you can use straight solder and not worry about the wire glue. Just remember to select UPS ground as it's a lithium battery. I bent the tabs slightly on the one I received, soldered it on with no problems in less than 10 minutes w/ the above directions - works 4.0.

Loren

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/163...ml621-tz1.html
Does anyone have another good source for a battery? DigiKey shows zero on hand.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #60
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig
Does anyone have another good source for a battery? DigiKey shows zero on hand.
Take a look again using the search function on digikey. There are several versions of the number. I just got 2 last week. Seems like they had over a hundred in stock of the one I got.

EDIT: Wow- I appologize. They truly are out of them right now. I must've just caught them at the right time.

For those looking:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...KeyWords=ml621
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote