ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #76
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Another source for the battery is Mouser. I just replaced the one in my buddy's 276C with this and it was virtually identical to the original.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...-MS621FE-FL11E
Good one, just ordered 4.

One for me to fuck up, one to work.

And the other two?

For buddy to do the same.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #77
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post


Realize this is a bit offtopic. If there is objection, PM me and I'll nuke. Figured I'd find a few tech-savvy x76 owners here.


Couple of questions on above picture .....


1) Is there a trick to removing the antenna ring. I thought I'd ask before "forcing" it.

2) I got the 276c pictured below and one of the battery terminal connectors is broken off. Works fine on external power. Only option Garmin would provide is the $160 flat rate service. I may try calling them again.

I can see the inside of the battery connection in the quoted pic above. Look to be individually gasket sealed. Not sure if it will be possible to remove and somehow fab up a new metal connection?

Thanks
Attached Images
 

crazybrit screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 03:46 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #78
9Dave
Bazinga!
 
9Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 12,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Realize this is a bit offtopic. If there is objection, PM me and I'll nuke. Figured I'd find a few tech-savvy x76 owners here.


Couple of questions on above picture .....


1) Is there a trick to removing the antenna ring. I thought I'd ask before "forcing" it.

2) I got the 276c pictured below and one of the battery terminal connectors is broken off. Works fine on external power. Only option Garmin would provide is the $160 flat rate service. I may try calling them again.

I can see the inside of the battery connection in the quoted pic above. Look to be individually gasket sealed. Not sure if it will be possible to remove and somehow fab up a new metal connection?

Thanks
No trick to removing the ring - it is a standard threaded connector. I used a small screwdriver to unscrew it.

Unless your fabrication skills are really good, for what it would take to replace the battery connector, I'd send it in for a $160 refurb/replacement. If you really bugger it up, they may not honor the refurb policy.
__________________


dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #79
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider
 
rw4x4van's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 529
Found this awhile ago......

http://www.gpsinformation.org/forum/...php?f=4&t=4701
__________________
Ray

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #80
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Unless your fabrication skills are really good, for what it would take to replace the battery connector, I'd send it in for a $160 refurb/replacement. If you really bugger it up, they may not honor the refurb policy.
I took it apart. As you said above, it's not happening.

Only option short of the $160 refurb is trying to find a dead unit cheap where I can cannibalize the rear case half but given the refurb cost, this seems unlikely.

Thanks for your help!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #81
Freddie Rides
Can't find the door
 
Freddie Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Denver-ish
Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Couple of questions on above picture .....

1) Is there a trick to removing the antenna ring. I thought I'd ask before "forcing" it.

2) I got the 276c pictured below and one of the battery terminal connectors is broken off. Works fine on external power. Only option Garmin would provide is the $160 flat rate service. I may try calling them again.

I can see the inside of the battery connection in the quoted pic above. Look to be individually gasket sealed. Not sure if it will be possible to remove and somehow fab up a new metal connection?
Maybe not pertinent now so long after the fact . . . but . . .

1. My antenna seemed to have some kind of locktite on it -- blue in color -- so I had to be a little forceful with a pair of needle-nose pliers angled around the connection housing. Get the tips in the nut notches and don't crush connection.
2. I cut a strip out of an aluminum can -- as wide as the broken tab and about 3/4" long. Sand both sides to get any paint/coatings off. Use a needle-nose to slide the piece through the silicone. Position it so that it lays over the good contact on the back and creates a new contact on the front. You can do this without taking the whole case apart -- just need to take the battery out.
__________________
Life is good -- enjoy it.
Freddie Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #82
Freddie Rides
Can't find the door
 
Freddie Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Denver-ish
Oddometer: 244
Update: Internal Battery Replacement

After reading all the reservations about replacing the internal battery -- I have good news: It's Easy!

The best way to remove the old battery is indeed to cut the tabs off with a sharp, thin knife. Bend the battery up gently and hold it with a pair of pliers while carefully PRYING, not cutting off the tabs.

I wasn't patient enough to wait for delivery of that new battery with tabs that everybody's talking about so I went to Ace Hardware & bought a Duracell 1025 battery -- it's a 3 volt battery about the same thickness as the old battery but roughly 2x the diameter -- it still fits in the case.

ANYBODY CAN SOLDER IN THE NEW BATTERY. I scuffed up the battery with some 60 grit sandpaper (rough). I bent both tabs almost vertical, cut a piece of resin flux solder about 1/8" long and laid it/wedged it between the battery and the bottom tab (negative side of the battery). Holding the battery immovable with a pair of pliers and using a 35 watt soldering iron, I held it on the connector until the solder melted like a cheese sandwich between the tab & the battery. It took all of about 8 seconds.

I bent the battery down and after making sure the battery was cool to the touch, repeated the procedure on the top/positive side. I double-checked the tabs to make sure they weren't shorting on each other, checked the battery voltage: 3.2. Done.

My main battery is a different story. After trying to charge it after sitting unplugged for over a year, I get the "Battery Missing" message. This site recommends charging the battery with an external charger, the idea being that if you put enough juice into the battery, the 276 will recognize it again and start charging it. Since I already had a charger connected to my 950, I took a couple wires and with the charger still connected to the bike, "jumped" the 276 battery from the 950 battery cables. It sparked briefly when I first touched the terminals. Is that a bad sign? The Battery Tender went off, presumably because it detected an incorrect connection even though it was still connected to the 950. I released the wires from the 276, put them back on, and this time the charger stayed on and charging. I jumped the battery for about 15 seconds. I figure being DC, the difference in voltage wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I was wrong. Now when I connect the power to the GPS, it says "Charge Complete". But it still isn't charging. Did I fry my main battery? Was it already beyond recovery?

Or maybe there's something screwy with my broken-connector fix from #2 in the above post?
__________________
Life is good -- enjoy it.
Freddie Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #83
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Rides View Post
My main battery is a different story. After trying to charge it after sitting unplugged for over a year, I get the "Battery Missing" message. This site recommends charging the battery with an external charger, the idea being that if you put enough juice into the battery, the 276 will recognize it again and start charging it.
No, that site recommends charging using an external charger direct to the battery cell bypassing the charging circuitry on the battery. You did do this right? You didn't try and connect it to the external charging connectors on the battery?

Quote:
Since I already had a charger connected to my 950, I took a couple wires and with the charger still connected to the bike, "jumped" the 276 battery from the 950 battery cables ..... I figure being DC, the difference in voltage wouldn't be an issue.
So you connected the Garmin Battery (7.4v 2200mA/hour) directly to the 12v motorcycle battery which has to be able to produce enough current to turn the starter motor. You didn't give this a lot of thought did you 2200mA/hour is it's output capacity of the Garmin (Samsung) battery and generally you charge at 1/2 this rate which would be about 1A/hour.

When I fixed mine I think I used a 12v 1/2A power brick and some resistors to get the voltage in line, current was arguably high but only charged it for 15 mins and then let the Garmin charger do the rest.

edit: If you connect a voltmeter to the battery cell terminals (i.e crack open the case of the battery) what does it say for voltage?

crazybrit screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 09:43 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #84
Freddie Rides
Can't find the door
 
Freddie Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Denver-ish
Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
You didn't give this a lot of thought did you
Right on all counts. I had two thoughts: 1. The battery is 8 years old and most likely at the end of its useful life and 2. I didn't feel like tearing the battery case apart and 3. I don't have a charger with the correct voltage/amperage (or even one I could modify) and 4. Resistors -- what are they? and 5. Maybe, just maybe, this will work. Is that a little thought or a lot?

I suppose if I hadn't been so impatient I would have bypassed the charging circuitry and used a standard 1.5 volt battery with a paper clip connector for a few minutes. I imagine that circuitry is welded together and that's why I get the "Charge Complete" message. Oh, well.
__________________
Life is good -- enjoy it.
Freddie Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #85
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Rides View Post
Right on all counts. I had two thoughts: 1. The battery is 8 years old and most likely at the end of its useful life
The one I fixed is easily that old. Been working fine ever since.

Quote:
2. I didn't feel like tearing the battery case apart
As the URL you linked makes clear the entire point is to bypass the smart charging circuitry on the battery. Directly connecting a motorcycle battery to the cell terminals is a bad idea, directly connecting it to the charging electronics is, well, err .......
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #86
Freddie Rides
Can't find the door
 
Freddie Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Denver-ish
Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
edit: If you connect a voltmeter to the battery cell terminals (i.e crack open the case of the battery) what does it say for voltage?
I'll take a look before tossing it in the trash -- I mean recycle it. I'm pretty sure the charging circuit is toast even if the cells are still good.
__________________
Life is good -- enjoy it.
Freddie Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #87
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Rides View Post
I'll take a look before tossing it in the trash -- I mean recycle it.
After all this I figured your preferred method of disposal would be incineration
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #88
Freddie Rides
Can't find the door
 
Freddie Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Denver-ish
Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
edit: If you connect a voltmeter to the battery cell terminals (i.e crack open the case of the battery) what does it say for voltage?
1.487 v
__________________
Life is good -- enjoy it.
Freddie Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #89
9Dave
Bazinga!
 
9Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 12,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Rides View Post
After reading all the reservations about replacing the internal battery -- I have good news: It's Easy!

The best way to remove the old battery is indeed to cut the tabs off with a sharp, thin knife. Bend the battery up gently and hold it with a pair of pliers while carefully PRYING, not cutting off the tabs.
It's not that hard to do. Just need to do it carefully.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about prying the battery. I just used a low wattage soldering iron, heated the tabs at the circuit board and removed the battery.
__________________


dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 05:25 AM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #90
Freddie Rides
Can't find the door
 
Freddie Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Denver-ish
Oddometer: 244
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I'm not sure what you are referring to about prying the battery. I just used a low wattage soldering iron, heated the tabs at the circuit board and removed the battery.
I left the tabs in the board, pried the tabs off the battery & replaced the battery. (Soldered the old tabs to the new battery w/o taking them off the board.)

Got a new main battery for around $30. It all works like a charm.

Anybody tried gluing the stock connector that keeps falling apart when you try to unplug the unit?
__________________
Life is good -- enjoy it.
Freddie Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014