ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #46
Vizsla
Where am I?

Oddometer: 179
Here ya go Anders

5:22 pm 3-11-09

Tonight's Low: 45
7 Day Forecast

Vizsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #47
rcrampton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
It was a good lunch, nice to meet y'all. Hope we can do it again next week.
rcrampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #48
rrh1970
$lave

Oddometer: 108
It was great meeting up with you guys. Hope to do it again soon!

Robert
rrh1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #49
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Thumb

The weather should be nice again this coming wednesday....
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #50
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Pitchures??? Balls, I tried to attach some from last week but no luck. (yes, they were small enough)

Anders
Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #51
rcrampton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Sorry guys, I've got an 11:00pm call that will probably take me into lunch. I'll be there next week if we have it. I've got a couple of folks to bring from work too. Fellow motorcyclists that need to be converted to the knobby world.
rcrampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #52
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrampton
I've got a couple of folks to bring from work too. Fellow motorcyclists that need to be converted to the knobby world.
Oh I can tell you are not going to be popular with my wife if you keep that up! I may be there.......... representing the road crew amongst us....

truck6driver was throwing similar barbs as well.
Stephen
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #53
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,026
Hey My wife recently got the idea that it would be fun to move all the way from Alaska to Raleigh for her to attend vet school so you can add another Raleigh area ADVRIDER to the list. I haven't had time to go through all 3 billion pages of this post yet but thought I'd say hello and see what's going on in the area.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #54
NCStephen
Riding NC

Redman,

I sent you a private message with the info and some other stuff. Welcome to the area and to the group.

Stephen
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #55
Vizsla
Where am I?

Lunch Today?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #56
bullcity
dook sucks

Oddometer: 72
any of yall own the GS on St. Marys road between Pleasant Green and Hillsborough?
bullcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #57
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

I can make a noon lunch... I've got a conference call I'm on at the moment. Not on my bike though.

Nope, the GS isn't mine.

Anders
Old 03-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #58
NCStephen
Riding NC

Yup should be there too.

There are several GS's in that area. Peter Bombar is one of them, bombarsbeemers.com
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #59
NCStephen
Riding NC

The topic of camping off the bike was discussed along with what gear goes well. I haven't refined my packing yet but two pictures kinda showing how it came together. in tail bag going up was camping gear bag, and some loose incidentals. in full bag on right was laptop computer (for work) with case and sleeping bag and a few personal clothing items. left 2/3 bag (because of exhaust), bike extras, camera, toiletry bag and some incidentals. on top of the tail bag was tent and pad. I am still refining this somewhat to scale back the gearbag some.

Thus with this example and expanding it for two up.. You would need to add the second sleeping bag, pad and clothing. If you could make your gear bag smaller, then 1 sleeping bag and gear bag could go in the tail bag, along with perhaps the second sleeping bag (or a ditty bag), That leaves one pannier for clothing, one for the other camping gear/camera, shower shoes and leave a little room for those few things you will pick up to take home.

If you are considering putting putting the sleeping bags on top of the panniers, consider getting some bungee buddies as tie down points.

HOpe that helps you get your thoughts focused on this.

as for the places, Stone Mtn State Park is a great place. Also don't overlook Hanging Rock State Park.

And the bike campgrounds, two in Wilkes County south of Wilkesboro,
http://www.ridersroost.com/
http://www.highcountrymotorcyclecamp.com/

There is also some nice campgrounds around Kerr Scott lake in Wilkesboro. If you made that a destination you could arrange with an outfitter there to have paddling stuff for a day of paddling. The upper part around Keowee Campground makes it easy to paddle up the river out of the lake. There is one Bed and Breakfast there that also provides that. The down side to that is the less than ADV style ride to the places (40/421)

The one at Meadows of Dan is Willville Motorcycle Camping http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/

Like I mentioned, the route up to Danville via 86 out of Hillsborough is a easy 2 lanes, Then 58 is a lightly traveled relaxed 4 lane around Martinsville until you get to the Stuart VA. From Hillsborough to the BRParkway I think is 112 miles. Wilville is just past the parkway.

Hanging Rock, about 70 miles most directly, can be somewhat creatively reached for a few extra miles rather than I 40 to nc66.

Stone Mountain, about 120 miles via 40/421/77/21 could also be reached by arching over Greensboro and Winston and picking up 268 at Hanging Rock.

It all kinda depends upon how much time you want to ride just to get to the place.

Then another place to consider for its closeness would be Ferry Stone State Park, VA, 20 miles west of Martinsville. (90+ miles from Hillsborough) They have cabins also and then it becomes a day ride up to Meadows of Dan, Check out two wineries on the Parkway, dash into Floyd and then back to camp. via Woolwine. This could be the same venue from Hanging Rock as it is only about 25 miles from HR State Park to Meadows of Dan.

Hope this helps get some ideas and discussion about what this trip needs to be for each of you.

Stephen
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #60
Vizsla
Where am I?

Stephen, Thanks for the info and the links. Lots of choices on mc friendly campgrounds out there, thats good!

If it isn't too wet this Saturday or Sunday I'd like to take a ride out towards the mountains maybe to Stone Mountain State Park, or alittle further. Do you have any good ride suggestions for a day trip?

I have lots of time on my hands starting this weekend since the wife and kids are out of town for the week.