ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #61
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizsla

If it isn't too wet this Saturday or Sunday I'd like to take a ride out towards the mountains maybe to Stone Mountain State Park, or alittle further. Do you have any good ride suggestions for a day trip?

I have lots of time on my hands starting this weekend since the wife and kids are out of town for the week.
Of course.. whats too wet.. today is kinda messy but once geared up it was a fine ride in to work.

As for a suggestion in the area you mentioned.. look up these routes on maps.. From Hillsborough the mile range would be 210 to 350 for the day

At Hillsborough take 86 North to Yanceyville, Take W Main out of town for a delightful little taste of mountain curves. Once back south of town go west thru Cherry Grove and pick up and take 150 over to Summerfield and take 220 north a few miles and the left on 158 into Stokesdale, Pick up 65 there and take that to Rural Hall and then grab 66 north. Follow that all the way up between Sauratown Mtn and Hanging Rock State Park and run it on up to the junction of 89,

Now choices set in..
1) to go back to Haning Rock, take 89 to the right and hook back around to the north side of Hanging Rock. Ride around Moore's Springs area, a bit of 268 and up into the Park. On the way out.. go north a bit on 89 pick up Piney Grove Church Rd ride it up to Lawsonvilleand then come back down 8 all the way to 65, to 68 take that back to 40 at the Greensboro Airport and then dash home.. (about 240 miles using Hillsborough as base.) ( Drop off the Moore's Springs explore lose 10 miles, drop off the Piney Grove Church Rd loop, drop 20 miles)

to avoid 40 ... take 158 back to Yanceyville (take 86 S to 40) or Roxboro (take 501 to Durham) or Oxford (take 50 to Ral) but you do add miles and time this way...and you are home.

2) ride around back on 89 like going to Hanging Rock but then take 268 west back across to 66 then right on 66 north up to Woodville then map out directions to ride up to Carters Mill VA (about 15 miles) and take Squirrel Spur Rd (one of the must ride roads in SW Va) and you are up to the parkway at Meadows of Dan. Take 58 East back to Danville and 86 south to I 40 and then home (270 miles for Hillsborough Base)

3) Do the loop around 66 north, 89 east/south, 268 west at Hanging Rock and then continue west on 268 (crossing 66 this time) and ride to Elkin, then a short hop up 21 and off to the left at Thurmond and over to Stone Mountain on TrapHill Rd, ride around there..(or.. Ride to the up the mountain on 21 and take Oaklahoma Rd to the left back to Stone Mtn) meandor around and back to Elkin, take 77 south to 421 and then dash home 421/I 40 (about 340 miles using Hillsborough as base)

Hope this gives you some ideas (Just to ride to Stone Mtn via 40/421/77/21 and back is a waste. but that would only be 260 miles, 200+ on busy straight four lanes over 1/2 urban.)

Another destination is just do the easy ride up 86 to Danville, 58 to the Parkway, duck down and back up Squirrel Spur Rd. then ride up the parkway to 8 and duck in to Floyd for a late lunch, and then down 8 thru Woolwine back to 58 and 86 and home. From Hillsborough again, this would be about 270 miles (this may also be the quickest)

Let us know what you do and give a ride report. Pix would be great to but it is a pain for me to take pix while riding so I don't really ask that of others.

Stephen
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.

NCStephen screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 09:37 AM
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 AM   #62
NCStephen
Riding NC

Wed. 4.1 Lunch today????
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #63
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
Sure, why not... but I'm in a cage today.

Noon!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #64
NCStephen
Riding NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green
Sure, why not... but I'm in a cage today.

Noon!
And you too are Forgiven.

Cya there
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #65
Vizsla
Where am I?

Oddometer: 179
It was good to see you guys at lunch today.

Here is a link to the BBQ place in Danville, this guy knows how to cook a pig! Well worth the short trip!
http://www.taterbugsbarbque.com/

This next link is the Toronto to Arctic Circle video that I mentioned, It's pretty entertaining. I don't remember where I saw it first, It might have been here on AdvRider.
http://www.arcticclutch.com/

-Ken
Vizsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #66
NCStephen
Riding NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizsla
It was good to see you guys at lunch today.

Here is a link to the BBQ place in Danville, this guy knows how to cook a pig! Well worth the short trip!
http://www.taterbugsbarbque.com/

This next link is the Toronto to Arctic Circle video that I mentioned, It's pretty entertaining. I don't remember where I saw it first, It might have been here on AdvRider.
http://www.arcticclutch.com/

-Ken
Thanks..good to see you again as well, You outta run get the TAG this afternoon after work. It isn't that far from Apex.

I will watch the vid stuff at home. But looks interesting

And the BBQ place will be marked as, we ride to eat, eat to ride place. Thanks for that tip.

Stephen
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #67
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,026
Sorry I didn't make it my wife got food poisoning on the 30th and I was in REX with her for three days straight. I was looking forward to meeting you all but something still have to come before going for a ride... Not many but some. Anyhow she is all better now and I'll hopefully be out the week after next... I'm riding down to the Florida Keys next week on business/ Adventure. Yeah my life is so hard! LOL! Take care and ride safe!

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #68
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Carl and I went riding for three hours on stuff like the picture below yesterday... all of it within probably three miles of highway 55 about 10 minutes from where we eat lunch. Who knew?

Destruction:
  • Blinker (Carl)
  • Mirror (Anders)
  • Rear brake lever (Carl)
  • Shift lever (Anders)
  • Dignity (from falling in big mud puddles) (both Carl and Anders)
  • Trailer visual pvc guide stick (Anders' trailer, but Carl broke it )

Awesome day!

Anders

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #69
NCStephen
Riding NC

Quote:
Carl and I went riding for three hours on stuff like the picture below yesterday... all of it within probably three miles of highway 55 about 10 minutes from where we eat lunch. Who knew?

Awesome day!
You do know that if you keep showing us stuff like this, my wife isn't going to be happy with the friends I am keeping.

It looks like a great day day, and you saved all that gas money by riding close to home so you could cover other expenses.

So those hungry appendage loving rocks and trees, were they camo'd in this picture?
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 04-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #70
pkariher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Could have been me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullcity
any of yall own the GS on St. Marys road between Pleasant Green and Hillsborough?
Could have been me.

I live out in this area. A few good roads to ride on.

I need to meet up with a few more of you.

Was it this bike?

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/719032

Getting ready to possibly do a Tech Day later this month. Interested?

Peter

+++++++++++++++++
2004 R1150GS ADV
+++++++++++++++++
pkariher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #71
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Ooo, what kind of tech day?

Another topic: I just called Uhwarrie, their trails are now open (barring a hurricane or something wacko). Trail usage requires a permit and DOT helmet, and the roads within the forest are "normal" state roads (meaning they require a license plate).

Also, this place is north of Charlotte and looks cool:

http://www.bmmspark.com/

Anders
Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #72
NCStephen
Riding NC

BMMSPark is north of Charlotte, True.. but so far north from here you most likely would go west on 40 to Winston then 421 like going to Boone, at Wilkesboro take 16 south about 15 min. Several folks from the Raleigh/Fayetteville thread have ridden there or are going there soon. Clint the parts guy at Captial BMW has raced there some.
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #73
NCStephen
Riding NC

Lunch 4.8?
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #74
NCStephen
Riding NC

Quote:

Also, this place is north of Charlotte and looks cool:

http://www.bmmspark.com/

Anders
From a recent post of nobrakes'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dodger
Hey KTR very nice vids! I like when you pass the orange fender along side the trail We should all set up a date to go to brushey.

NC trail boss and myself had a great time at the outback on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!

If your bike is not red then keep it in the shed

Sorry bro, the fender on the trail was Honda Red. Look again. I think you could build a whole new Red bike just by picking up pieces along the trail.

Hope you have a good time at Brushy, it's definitely a good place. The owner caters to bikes and sport quads. He doesn't really care for the utility quad guys that tend to ruin the trails for everyone else. He's got a strict limit on tread depth and will turn them away if they show up with mud tires looking to go back and forth and back and forth through a stream to make a mud hole. I like that. Every other off-road area seems to cater to the utility quads, and quite frankly, those trails suck after they get on them for a while. Nothing against those guys, they want to have fun on their machines, too, but it's nice to have a more two-wheel oriented destination to go to. Brushy is it, lots of single track there, and the two-track trails are even pretty decent too, at least the ones we were on, but we stayed on the single track where possible.
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750 K4
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #75
pkariher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Ooo, what kind of tech day?

Anders

I contacted the guy on Craigslist that wanted help with bleeding his brakes and ABS system on his R1100S. If we pull his tank, we may get his fuel filter replaced also. He is going to help me do my first valve adjust and TB sync, and I am going to show him the brake bleeding.

I just got done with new battery, new brake pads, new brake fluid, new clutch fluid, new air filter, final drive and tranmission oil change. Only the vlaves, plugs, TB sync, and oil change left.

If others are interested in watching or helping, we have a tentative date of Saturday 4-18 at my house.

PM me if interested. I have a garage and live in N. Durham off of Russel Road.
pkariher is offline   Reply With Quote