Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #1726
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 528
OK, so I have been trying to prioritize the upgrades/aesthetic mods for my DRZ. I know I am going to be riding it hard. Not motocross of course, but I like to go fast. I have it uncorked already.

1. BBK to 300
2. suspension upgrades (need recommendations for this. I know I will be doing some jumps since the closest place to ride is the track on post where I am moving to)
3. fork guards
4. aftermarket exhaust (will this actually increase performance vs bored out stock exhaust?)
5. new tires as there is only a few more rides left on the ones that came on it
6. Bark busters. I am thinking yellow Acerbis unless someone can recommend something better
7. new Carburator(The california carb seems to be the low end of all carbs)

Any input on what to do first, what not to do etc would be appreciated. This is strictly for off road riding. I am using my DR350SE for all onroad/adventure riding.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1727
1zero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
OK, so I have been trying to prioritize the upgrades/aesthetic mods for my DRZ. I know I am going to be riding it hard. Not motocross of course, but I like to go fast. I have it uncorked already.

1. BBK to 300
2. suspension upgrades (need recommendations for this. I know I will be doing some jumps since the closest place to ride is the track on post where I am moving to)
3. fork guards
4. aftermarket exhaust (will this actually increase performance vs bored out stock exhaust?)
5. new tires as there is only a few more rides left on the ones that came on it
6. Bark busters. I am thinking yellow Acerbis unless someone can recommend something better

Any input on what to do first, what not to do etc would be appreciated. This is strictly for off road riding. I am using my DR350SE for all onroad/adventure riding.
I hear what you're saying i've thought long and hard about appropriate mods to my DRZ also, both performance and aesthetics.
What I keep coming back to tho is if I get too carried away, a) it will cost lots of $$$ and b) it still won't be a CRF or RMZ etc.
So, in order to maintains it's ultra reliability etc i've just done the un-corking + 1-2 other mods (as per photos a few pages back) i have also spoken long and hard to friend/owner of a dirt bike shop and he maintains "I need to learn to ride the bike faster" and when i'm grounding the suspension out etc all the time maybe then look at upgrading.
As he tells me becauce the DRZ isn't powerful it teaches you to become a better rider as you can't rely on wheel standing at command type of performance to get you out of trouble, so on I carry with the 250.
The DRZ actually has pretty descent suspension as std, with some simple tuning and fresh oil etc they're OK.
A BBK to 280-300 would be nice, but what extra you get is just a more 'deeper' pulling power, not shit loads more HP as i'm told by those who have done it and right upto 325cc kit.(325cc was 'brilliant' as i'm told)
As for fork guards - yes I too am thinking along the lines of a all in one front number plate with plastic legs to protect the fork chrome in place of rubber gators and give it a more USD fork look etc.
I have the TM28 pumper and it is really good for instant 'go forward' and a bit 'crisper' acceleration. Although given 1/2 a chance I'd like to try the DR350 33mm pumper (maybe you could try this :-) )

Phew, think I've said enough for now, good luck and keep us updated on what avenue you go down.
1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #1728
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
usd forks are worth a look at, drz400 forks are a close second
the tm 36 pumper is a go call with bbk

i like the cycra probends over any other hand guard myself
tdrrally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #1729
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:

If you end up getting the pumper carb, let me know what you want for that CV carb. I sold my DRZ to a friend, but it has a damaged carb. We made it work but a replacement would be better.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #1730
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zero View Post
I hear what you're saying i've thought long and hard about appropriate mods to my DRZ also, both performance and aesthetics.
What I keep coming back to tho is if I get too carried away, a) it will cost lots of $$$ and b) it still won't be a CRF or RMZ etc.
So, in order to maintains it's ultra reliability etc i've just done the un-corking + 1-2 other mods (as per photos a few pages back) i have also spoken long and hard to friend/owner of a dirt bike shop and he maintains "I need to learn to ride the bike faster" and when i'm grounding the suspension out etc all the time maybe then look at upgrading.
As he tells me becauce the DRZ isn't powerful it teaches you to become a better rider as you can't rely on wheel standing at command type of performance to get you out of trouble, so on I carry with the 250.
The DRZ actually has pretty descent suspension as std, with some simple tuning and fresh oil etc they're OK.
A BBK to 280-300 would be nice, but what extra you get is just a more 'deeper' pulling power, not shit loads more HP as i'm told by those who have done it and right upto 325cc kit.(325cc was 'brilliant' as i'm told)
As for fork guards - yes I too am thinking along the lines of a all in one front number plate with plastic legs to protect the fork chrome in place of rubber gators and give it a more USD fork look etc.
I have the TM28 pumper and it is really good for instant 'go forward' and a bit 'crisper' acceleration. Although given 1/2 a chance I'd like to try the DR350 33mm pumper (maybe you could try this :-) )

Phew, think I've said enough for now, good luck and keep us updated on what avenue you go down.
Thank you for all the input. You may be correct. The thing is when I do upgrade I will probably still keep this bike. So money spent wont be lost. However I might be better off sacking that money away for a CRFX when I have gotten all I can out of the DRZ. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
usd forks are worth a look at, drz400 forks are a close second
the tm 36 pumper is a go call with bbk

i like the cycra probends over any other hand guard myself
TDRALLY,
Any idea where to obtain decent inverted forks? I know nothing of forks, so I would hate to run across what I thought was a deal then buy something horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
If you end up getting the pumper carb, let me know what you want for that CV carb. I sold my DRZ to a friend, but it has a damaged carb. We made it work but a replacement would be better.
If i do this it will be a while out. I am definately looking into getting rid of that california carb. When I do, I will let you know and hopefully you will have some use for it.

oh and FWIW my first mod is going 12/50 gear ratio. I know I will lose some top speed, but I think in the gnarlier stuff I will like it better. On the flatter stuff I can always to a quick swap out of my front back to 13.

redleger screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:03 AM
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #1731
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
i have seen usd forks on flea bay, for a good price

you need the triple, forks, wheel, axle ect.

most suzuki's use the same rotor and caliper

i have a 2004 rm 250 usd forks on my k2
tdrrally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #1732
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Back to the comment on the "California carb": I made the following changes to my 2006 which had this carb--

Jetting changes pilot 12.5 to 15, main 132.5 to 137.5 (1) 1 hole in airbox top (3) in right side of airbox = (3) Uni 1 filters. (1) .070 shim between nylon washer and next ones up on needle. Snorkel removed.

It ran like a champ. The needle shim eliminated a hesitation between 1/2 & full throttle.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #1733
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennF33 View Post
Back to the comment on the "California carb": I made the following changes to my 2006 which had this carb--

Jetting changes pilot 12.5 to 15, main 132.5 to 137.5 (1) 1 “ hole in airbox top (3) in right side of airbox = (3) Uni 1” filters. (1) .070 shim between nylon washer and next ones up on needle. Snorkel removed.

It ran like a champ. The needle shim eliminated a hesitation between 1/2 & full throttle.
I also rejetted. I opted for the dyno jet kit which comes with adjustable needle. I have it set at the 3rd setting as per the instructions but I havent gotten it back from the shop yet to see if that is where they left it. I ended up getting in over my head and couldnt get the air/fuel mixture set right. But the snorkel and holes in the airbox were the first things I did. Once I get it back that will probably be he last time I jack with that carb until I get a new one.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #1734
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

drilled Air Box

OK, so apparently with the California Carb that I have drilling the air box is bad. I used the size bit instructed in the write up. I just got the bike back today finally, and the reason I couldn't get the fuel/air mixture right is that there was too much air flow. FML. So now I have to find a way to cover the holes back up. I gotta find some plastic and epoxy to seal them. I am going to do one, see how it runs and then if it is still too lean I will have to cover the other.

So there are some rags in the holes right now, but before I ride it this weekend I gotta seal it up :( Atleast I found the reason that I couldn't get it right no matter how much I jacked with it.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #1735
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Ok, I patched the holes, now it hesitates on the take off. FML. Tomorrow I will probably just go toss it off a cliff.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #1736
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,678
Quote:
OK, so apparently with the California Carb that I have drilling the air box is bad. I used the size bit instructed in the write up. I just got the bike back today finally, and the reason I couldn't get the fuel/air mixture right is that there was too much air flow. FML. So now I have to find a way to cover the holes back up. I gotta find some plastic and epoxy to seal them. I am going to do one, see how it runs and then if it is still too lean I will have to cover the other.

So there are some rags in the holes right now, but before I ride it this weekend I gotta seal it up :( Atleast I found the reason that I couldn't get it right no matter how much I jacked with it.

how about a larger jet then?

for the hole, clean booth inside and outside of the airbox with some degreaser and the then rubbing alcohol at the holes. then use some gorilla glue tape on both sides. it won't budge. http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-tape Use for while you do testing. when you finally have it dialed then you could expoy some plastic over the hole or maybe not needed.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #1737
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Ok, I patched the holes, now it hesitates on the take off. FML. Tomorrow I will probably just go toss it off a cliff.
go back to stock settings and do I carb change at a time and see what happens. are your guidlines elevation the same as yours and if not did you compensate for that? you also have to measure float bowl height.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #1738
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
go back to stock settings and do I carb change at a time and see what happens. are your guidlines elevation the same as yours and if not did you compensate for that? you also have to measure float bowl height.
everything as set per instructions in the instructions. basically sea level.

I will have more time to mess with it today. I will follow the above instructions which I missed the last time I came on these forums. I am thinking it just needs to be covered up on one side, and that will probably be where I need it to be. I am just frustrated, and prone to tossing stuff off cliffs. Except puppies, I would never toss a puppy off a cliff.

I don't know jack about bowl float height.
I am not sure if I can go back to stock settings because I grinded down the restrictor weld on the header pipe and the exhaust tip is bored out.

redleger screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 07:15 AM
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #1739
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

All running well. Holes fully covered. Needle set richer, different pilot jet and now she runs like a dream. And for my next disaster I will be putting on my new 52T rear sprocket. Any special crazy things I should know for this one?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #1740
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
All running well. Holes fully covered. Needle set richer, different pilot jet and now she runs like a dream. And for my next disaster I will be putting on my new 52T rear sprocket. Any special crazy things I should know for this one?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
make sure to clean out the allen bolts real good so your tool can seat all the way in. on the nut side heat helps a alot either with heat gun, propane or even a lighter for a 30 secs of so.