Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #76
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 103M 95G View Post
I put the shinko 700's on my XR650L and was wondering what air pressure you guys are running, side of the tire says 35psi, my owners manual says 22psi (TW52/tw301). tried them at 25 psi , seemed "spongy" right now I have them at 27psi.
Depends on the use. On road, maybe 28f/30r especially if you're carrying luggage.
Closer to the owners manual if off road.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #77
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Necro thread!

So I noticed a few people saying they were going back to the 244 instead of the 700 because they wanted better offroad ability. However, when I watched Shinko's intro video for the 244, 700, and 705, they listed the 700 as the 60/40 tire and the 244 as 70/30. To those that have used both, what makes the 244 better offroad than the 700?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #78
MXP553
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Yea, I noticed the same thing watching that video today. I think both of those tires will work for me (XR650L) Im going to run down the D606 on back a bit more then probably buy the 700 as I ride 70% street 30% dirt road/exploring. The Dunlop on there now beats you up down the road, and wears out quick!!! Lots of great info on this site..I finally joined instead of just lurking.
MXP553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #79
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Ha ha, I lurked for a good long while before I finally joined up. You could lurk on here for years just looking at the pictures. I love the D606, but dang, they're wicked expensive to put on something you ride every day. My only issue with the Shinko 244's is that they supposedly run very small, so you're encouraged to get the biggest one that will fit on your rim. However, the 3.00-21 is only rated for 75, while the smaller 2.75-21 is good for 93. Sadly, the 75mph speed limit basically rules it out for me. It's a bummer too, because $30 for a tire is practically giving them away.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #80
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
I'm sold

I've got a set of Shinko 700's on my '03 KLR 250. I put them on about 1500 miles ago, and I love them. I do about 70% agressive street riding, and 30% casual dirt and gravel road exploring. These are some great, grippy street tires, and they're pretty good on gravel/dirt roads too. My rear tread looks to be about 30-35% gone, but the front still looks new. I doubt I could find a better tire for my style of riding, at the cheap price I paid for 'em.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #81
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,013
I have a 244 on the front and a 700 on the rear of my wr250r. The 700 is a pretty good tire on the street. Also good on gravel and dirt, but not great on mud. The 244 seems like it is better off road. Thinking about trying a sr241 on the rear once the 700 is worn out. Otherwise I'll probably use a 244.

Here is the 700 with probably 1000 to 1200 miles on it. The 244 on the front looks new, but this bike carries hardly any weight on the front. As you can see I've leaved it over to the edge of the tread. The 700 appears to lean over more than the 244. The tread on my front 244 runs out first when leaning.

Here is a picture of the front.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 06:32 PM
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #82
MXP553
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Well I will have to wait to see how the Shenko does. I was going to order a 244 but the 5.10 X 18 is on back order. So I got the Kenda of that style for the same price through my local dealer.
MXP553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #83
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 44
Thumb 4000 miles on rear now

I just went over 4,000 miles on the Shinko 700 rear tire. I have to look pretty hard to find an area with the 2 millimeter min tread depth, mostly it still has 3 mm or more. That compares with 3,000 miles on the original Dunlop rear.

I usually keep it at the book value of 28 psi ('09 KLR) but do add a little when loaded up and on the highway.

I'd like to say I've ridden something like 70/30 or whatever, but, truth be known, the vast majority has been highway miles, commuting and getting to the interesting dirt. What off road the tire's seen (probably about 500 - 600 miles) has been a mix of sand, really soft sand, fast gravel, loose rocks, etc. The limit of where I go is based on rider ability, not on what these tires can do.

I'm getting ready to order another rear today.

FWIW I am just starting on my second front tire after getting 6,500 miles on the first one, and just at min tread depth also there. I went with another Dunlop on the front, 'cause that's what the shop had when I pulled in and I just wanted to get it out of the way. I don't think 6,500 for a tire of that type is too bad. If they had had a Shinko 700 on hand I would have got that.

notsofasteddie screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 08:37 AM
notsofasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #84
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Necro thread!

So I noticed a few people saying they were going back to the 244 instead of the 700 because they wanted better offroad ability. However, when I watched Shinko's intro video for the 244, 700, and 705, they listed the 700 as the 60/40 tire and the 244 as 70/30. To those that have used both, what makes the 244 better offroad than the 700?
i have a 700 (5.10-17") and had used a 244 in the past.
the open spaces between the knobs are more on the 700 (thus shinkos reasoning) but the 244 kinda works like a trails tire will all the blocks and bitting edges. both work about the same to me in the dirt; if you goose it hard it's gonna spin and not bite like a true knobby.

a few 244 rear have lost their knobs, but that might user error and running too low a psi and running high-speeds and thus tire temps. something to look into none the less.

i match my 700 with an IRC TR8 (wanted more aggressive front for cornering. works like a cheap TCK-80 on the pavement) and i'm very happy for the price paid.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 01:18 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #85
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
I've got a set of Shinko 700's on my '03 KLR 250. I put them on about 1500 miles ago, and I love them. I do about 70% agressive street riding, and 30% casual dirt and gravel road exploring. These are some great, grippy street tires, and they're pretty good on gravel/dirt roads too. My rear tread looks to be about 30-35% gone, but the front still looks new. I doubt I could find a better tire for my style of riding, at the cheap price I paid for 'em.
i do agree the 700 is a great street tire. it really holds well on pavement.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #86
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Ok, I just told my dealer to put a set of Shinko 700's aside from me, they'll go on on Thursday. I've gotten about 4000 miles out of my stock rear on my DR650, I'm hoping these will do at least that. I tend to do math in my head while riding (What? You don't?), and tire life is depressing. 4000 miles on a tire means every 400 miles is 10% of the tire's life. 40 miles is 1%. I can easily use 3% of a tire between fill ups. Hell, they'll be 5% used up before I consider them broken in!

I'm pretty worked up my tire decisions, so if y'all want to take some time to reassure me that these will be awesome, I'd be ok with that.

MV
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #87
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Good experiences with Shinkos

Well I liked the 700's so much on my KLR250 that I bought another brand new pair, and I'm sure the pair that's still on my bike is not even halfway used up yet.

I've had a total of 4 sets of various Shinkos, and they've all been good tires. Not just cheap, but really good, and really inexpensive. As a matter of fact, I just installed a set of Shinko 230 Tour Masters on an '83 GS450 that I've recently restored. I don't even have them broken in yet, but so far they seem really grippy and I like the tread pattern.

I'm a "value" kind of guy most of the time. I like the Shinko 700 on the front of my KLR250 better than I like the TKC80 that's on the front of my DR350. I bought both tires brand new, and I've put every mile on both tires. The Shinko cost less than half what the TKC cost. That's a solid value in my book.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #88
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I'll have about 5000 miles on my rear tire once I finally take it off. That's mostly street riding and down to no tread in the center. YMMV I'm very happy with it!
Almost forgot, the front has a whole lot more left and will probably get double that.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #89
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

I'm also a value kinda guy, I don't mind paying more to get more, but paying more for a name or a look or whatnot isn't my thing. The Heidenau K60's come highly recommended, but I'm not sure enough what type of riding we'll be doing to invest both the money and the time in them. I mean, what if I put them on, find they're not a good fit for our riding, but they're going to last for another 10,000 miles... At least with the Shinkos, if I turn out to not like them, I can just ride all summer and be done with them.

I talked to a guy in the grocery store parking lot yesterday who had a DR in the back of his pickup (Stalking people with similar bikes in parking lots is cool, right?), and he spoke highly of his Pirelli knobbies, but I'm not sure knobbies are right for me. I want something better than stock for offroad, but we do a lot of street miles also. Heck, as far as miles go, just getting to/from the trails will put more miles on than we'll ever do in the dirt.

But I do have to wonder, why do I need tires at 4000 miles, but her Wombat tires at ~3200, look like they're just getting broken in?

MV
Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #90
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Ok, they're on there now. They look good, but I've really only ridden 200 yards or so from the dealer to our shop, and 1/4 of that was (gasp!) sidewalk. This weekend I'll try them out. Not sure what PSI I ought to be running, so that whole game gets to begin again. I'll probably have it figured out about the time it's time for new tires again. Dealer guy put them at 32, any suggestions?

I also checked out a Pirelli catalog, there might be something in there for me next time around as well.

I'll let you all know how these do.

MV