Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #61
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
This is my '83 KZ750 F1 LTD SHAFT. I bought it a couple of months ago and haven't done much to it yet. As far as I can tell, it's got a large 650 tank, custom fiberglass seat, rear fender cowl from a different model, dyna ignition.

I've brought the valve lash back into spec, ignition wiring & plugs, replaced/tuned the carbs & rubbers, and added the cheap emgo 1/4 fairing, European bars, that's about it.

I have an American Classix hydraulic slave for the clutch on order which I will pair with my KTM master. Should be pretty sweet because the cable clutch is kind of a sore spot when riding.

Getting about 45mpg fuel economy right now with highway riding. I think it'll do about 50mpg when tuned proper. Though the speedo is kinda busted as it only goes to 85 and sits there for some reason

potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #62
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
My kid picked this up last spring. It's a little rough but we fixed a few things and he's ridden it all summer. Maybe this winter we'll get more of it straight.

Sorry about the cell pic. it's the only one I can find...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #63
GPzPop
the lurkerizer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
My kid picked this up last spring. It's a little rough but we fixed a few things and he's ridden it all summer. Maybe this winter we'll get more of it straight.

Sorry about the cell pic. it's the only one I can find...
on this very model of bike, first gen Uni-track, be sure to inspect where the rear shock assembly bolts to the underside of the steel swingarm (the most under-engineered sheet metal tab mounting point, ever?)

Damhik (twice) IJKoK
GPzPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #64
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Thanks for the tip! We'll be pulling the rear apart this winter anyway since the shock is going to need some attention. The spring is really tired and the rear tire is gone.

It was a memory riding one of these again. I raced one in '83-'84 and I'd forgotten just how nice they were. When he spotted the bike I told him he'd better snatch it up before I did.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

From the way back machine. Me, with my back to you in slimmer, longer haired trim with my 1975 Z-1 B at the Hoover Dam.
This was during a 30 day 8000 mile trip from Kentucky to California and back. Good times. Circa 1977.

30 day, 8000 miles on a KH triple?
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #66
amschnellsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
my first bike was a 1981 CSR1000. I absolutely loved that bike and it is the only one I regret selling. I had restored the bike but I had changed the seat, put flat bars on, and fitted the Vance and Hines drag exhaust (the one that rides high down the side) I have great respect for kzs and csrs
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #67
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
a KZ thread?

Rockin! Will y'all allow a GPz guy aboard?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #68
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inire View Post
Rockin! Will y'all allow a GPz guy aboard?
Welcome!

Check out this bung I added to my #2 header. I am getting a little better at welding

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #69
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

That reminds me.. what is everyone running for coils on their KZ? I've got the Dyna ignition and I was all set to buy some proper coils when I checked my stock ones, which are 2.4 ohm. Somehow I thought the stock ones were > 3 ohm.

Anyways, chasing a rather wimpy idle strength and am pretty sure it is spark quality related. Running copper wires with resistor plugs gapped to 0.028". Some have said the stock coils with a Dyna ignition can't really do well beyond 0.020" gap, and recommend the Dyna grey coils. I will probably reduce the gap and experiment a little. Other than not having enough tractor pull at idle it runs pretty strong.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #70
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Has anyone sorted a way to put a non-vacuum petcock on a GPz? I'm about done with fighting the leaky ass stock unit, even post-rebuild.ghead:

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #71
WhatThaFrig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Ditto!
1982 GL1100 Standard
1980 GS550
WhatThaFrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #72
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Well here's mine, a '75 KZ400D. I bought it in 2003 for $300, then sold it in 2006, probably should have kept it but some parts were getting a little hard to find. With this being my daily commuter, I was putting about 300 miles a week on it, going through 2-3 tanks of fuel every week. It was pretty reliable for the most part, I kinda enjoyed having the kickstart. I installed a pair of dyna or accell coils to replace the dead or dying original coils and for a little hotter spark. I still have an original Kawasaki air filter for it, in case anyone is interested.

TonyKZ1 screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 12:58 PM
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #73
cartejo5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
When I was a youngster my very first Kawasaki was a z650 c3 bought brand spanking new in 78\79 this is a picture thats been pinned in my garage for the last umpteen years. A glorious day on holy island 30+ years ago................

And here's my new one a 1977 B1 - an unexpected gift from earlier this year, imported from Arizona with 19k showing on speedo :-

cartejo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #74
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
That reminds me.. what is everyone running for coils on their KZ? I've got the Dyna ignition and I was all set to buy some proper coils when I checked my stock ones, which are 2.4 ohm. Somehow I thought the stock ones were > 3 ohm.

Anyways, chasing a rather wimpy idle strength and am pretty sure it is spark quality related. Running copper wires with resistor plugs gapped to 0.028". Some have said the stock coils with a Dyna ignition can't really do well beyond 0.020" gap, and recommend the Dyna grey coils. I will probably reduce the gap and experiment a little. Other than not having enough tractor pull at idle it runs pretty strong.
Dyna grey coils will work well with the Dyna ign (Dyna S or 2000?). Most Dyna boxes also don't like solid leads, the EMF gets them all crosseyed, so you might have to switch to R leads when you run the new coils. Grey coils and R leads mated with a close .028 gap should blow the head off the thing. It's all good.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #75
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Dyna grey coils will work well with the Dyna ign (Dyna S or 2000?). Most Dyna boxes also don't like solid leads, the EMF gets them all crosseyed, so you might have to switch to R leads when you run the new coils. Grey coils and R leads mated with a close .028 gap should blow the head off the thing. It's all good.
Actually neither. I took a look at the bike and my service manual and it turns out that I have the factory electronic ignition. I'll have to go read some threads about that.. I recall reading that it was a good setup.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us