ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #1501
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 577
A Poet and he don't know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee
It is warm.
I am off work.
I am riding.
That'd make a nice haiku.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #1502
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
It is warm.
I am off work.
I am riding.
Anyone wanna come?
I leave in 30.
That is all.
I would love to but I didn't see this until 6:30
Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #1503
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 976
Ride report

Coulda used your help today josh
Nice day to ride. It was nice not having to layer up.
Plan was to explore more dirt routes toward Cedar Springs and Parsons Mountain again.
Started off with a quick run around the FS roads near the intersection of Furys Ferry and Woodlawn. I know they don't go anywhere, but I wanted to hit some dirt first. All was good until I figured a small sidetrack would take me from a dead end, back to a road I had already ridden. Before long I was beating my way through woods, the trail gone. GPS told me that the road was close, but a steep drop off made me turn back, and it was a lot harder going back that it had been going. At times I was off the bike pushing while spinning the back. Stalled far to many times, and one time the bike wouldnt restart. Soon realised that the stand had caught on a fallen branch and the bike rolled back and triggered the kill switch. Doh!
Made it out just about exhausted, but in one piece.
Started following likely looking roads and making good use of the red pencil. Most roads, like last time, were well maintained FS gravel and dirt. I did find some though with great tight curves.
Later in the day i saw a red dirt road and couldn't help resist going that way, which led to a near disasterous experience.
I came around the corner at the top of this pic, right into the mud

See those fresh tracks coming at you. See how they diverge? The left one was my front wheel, the right, my rear wheel. About 18 inches away!!! I was going sideways at 30 mph and knew I was about to crash. The ground at the bottom of the pic is actually exposed bedrock and when I hit that I was snapped back into line pretty quick. You can seethe two track becoming one again.

I slithered to a stop to take a deep breath and a pic.
A short distance later, on the same road I came across this

Should I try to cross?

Y'all know I did. Nearly didn't make it. Although I did walk out a little way, and it seemed ok, about 1/3 of the way through it got a LOT deeper than I expected. I made a bee line for the left bank, which was too steep to climb out of. I was able to get the front wheel up it, and rode the rest of the way out with the front wheel on the bank, and the rear in the water. I was surprised not to stall.

The bike, now a lot cleaner than it was a few moments ago.
I pulled the airbox drain plug, and a few tablespoons of water came out.
Bike kept running, and I carried on.

Saw this sign, and you know I couldn't resist

Especilly when this was the name of the road

I never did find the bridge. The road ended with a gate and posted sign. There was a side road, but it looked real muddy, and I was running out of time and gas.
I never did find any cooter either.
Very disappointing.
On the way home I took another road that grew gradually smaller and smaller, became a trail, then single track before coming out on hwy 25.
Good day in all. Didnt get as far as I wanted, but did find plenty of dirt.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #1504
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

By the way some of those pics look I don't know if I would have been much help. That one pic where the water is across the road would have been where I would have needed some scuba on. Cause I know I would have been underwater. Looks like you had a blast though.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #1505
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
M&MM is a tru adventurer

Quote:
Coulda used your help today josh
Nice day to ride. It was nice not having to layer up.
Plan was to explore more dirt routes toward Cedar Springs and Parsons Mountain again.
Started off with a quick run around the FS roads near the intersection of Furys Ferry and Woodlawn. I know they don't go anywhere, but I wanted to hit some dirt first. All was good until I figured a small sidetrack would take me from a dead end, back to a road I had already ridden. Before long I was beating my way through woods, the trail gone. GPS told me that the road was close, but a steep drop off made me turn back, and it was a lot harder going back that it had been going. At times I was off the bike pushing while spinning the back. Stalled far to many times, and one time the bike wouldnt restart. Soon realised that the stand had caught on a fallen branch and the bike rolled back and triggered the kill switch. Doh!
Made it out just about exhausted, but in one piece.
Started following likely looking roads and making good use of the red pencil. Most roads, like last time, were well maintained FS gravel and dirt. I did find some though with great tight curves.
Later in the day i saw a red dirt road and couldn't help resist going that way, which led to a near disasterous experience.
I came around the corner at the top of this pic, right into the mud

See those fresh tracks coming at you. See how they diverge? The left one was my front wheel, the right, my rear wheel. About 18 inches away!!! I was going sideways at 30 mph and knew I was about to crash. The ground at the bottom of the pic is actually exposed bedrock and when I hit that I was snapped back into line pretty quick. You can seethe two track becoming one again.

I slithered to a stop to take a deep breath and a pic.
A short distance later, on the same road I came across this

Should I try to cross?

Y'all know I did. Nearly didn't make it. Although I did walk out a little way, and it seemed ok, about 1/3 of the way through it got a LOT deeper than I expected. I made a bee line for the left bank, which was too steep to climb out of. I was able to get the front wheel up it, and rode the rest of the way out with the front wheel on the bank, and the rear in the water. I was surprised not to stall.

The bike, now a lot cleaner than it was a few moments ago.
I pulled the airbox drain plug, and a few tablespoons of water came out.
Bike kept running, and I carried on.

Saw this sign, and you know I couldn't resist

Especilly when this was the name of the road

I never did find the bridge. The road ended with a gate and posted sign. There was a side road, but it looked real muddy, and I was running out of time and gas.
I never did find any cooter either.
Very disappointing.
On the way home I took another road that grew gradually smaller and smaller, became a trail, then single track before coming out on hwy 25.
Good day in all. Didnt get as far as I wanted, but did find plenty of dirt.
A true adventure. Nice job! Any place named Cooter Pond Road is worthy of exploring in my book.

coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #1506
airdrew32
Bat Rat

Oddometer: 62
Here is Phil with a new web cam, some new software, and too much time on his hands...

airdrew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #1507
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,541
M&MM nice trail blazzin.. as soon as I get a free min I'm finding that road, but there is no way I would try any puddles ...esp if I rode alone.
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #1508
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Attention Kliff

Kliff you need to get back in here and keep this page on the front of the Forum. I just saved it from the second page.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #1509
Catalyst
Explorer

I'd give DP a shot, but I've only got a few hours Saturday morning to ride. Anybody going riding or exploring?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #1510
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst
I'd give DP a shot, but I've only got a few hours Saturday morning to ride. Anybody going riding or exploring?

I was thinking about riding some Saturday. How many hours do you have to waste?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #1511
Catalyst
Explorer

Saturday Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman955i
I was thinking about riding some Saturday. How many hours do you have to waste?
Actually, it looks like I'm free until about 3:00. Got as many hours to waste as we're willing to wake up for.

Got any ideas?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #1512
lonewolf67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Sunnyside ATV in Wrens is open this weekend, possible may head over Sunday, too tired for Durhamtown this week, rode there 3 times last week.
lonewolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #1513
homeworksben
EAGLE-WORM

Oddometer: 39
Headed to DP

Airdrew32 and I are headed to D.P. this sunday. We both got some helmet cams so hopefully we will get some good video. This cam may actually capture the last moments of my life. If anyone wants to ride let us know.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #1514
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Man had a nice ride today

Knobbies are the choice of tire in the dirt, mud, sand, etc. Today was the first ride on the new tires. On dirt= GREAT!!! On street= Not so Great. I had to get use to the new feeling, but once i did it was on. I enjoyed them so much they inspired me to create a Motivational Poster, what do yall think of it.

Hit the dirt roads and got some pics. I think that I found some roads that Dan haven't been on yet.

And look over to the left and saw this.

And this is what the GPS looks like.

Rode some more and came upon this creek on my left. This was taken on the road.

Road some more and had to take a pic of this. Whats that on the horzion, my camera sucks.

Rode some more and came upon this bridge, looks like had a lot of water over it. And looks like they had a log jam.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #1515
Catalyst
Explorer

Saturday Exploring

Thank God for beautiful Saturdays!

Curiousity about M&MM's RR about the Gilbert/(forgot name) Road bridge being out got the best of me so I went to check it out today...

Yep.

It's out.

And M&MM was right...no way I was going to try crossing it and make that step-up.

Time to get the lay of the land.

This should do for a crossing:

I heeded this sign warning. I may be mistaken, but I think it says "No Loitering". So I opened the gate conveniently located next to it, crossed the creek and went on my merry way.

Closing the gate behind me. Of course.

Safe on the other side.

After a short stint of clay, rock and gravel the road hooked up with some little used FSRs with a few hazards.

Ever read one of these closely? The only advice they give is no digging. Hmm...

Came across these great trails along another FSR in the area. I have no idea where I am at this point.

But this nice stream was near a bend in the trail...good place for a break.

Back on the trail...straight like a freeway. Just a lot more fun. A fire break perhaps?

Came across these symbols a few times at what seems like property lines. Any idea what they symbolize? Notice the nice bullet hole through the center of it...

After a thorough investigation of the property, I give it for any other party interested in purchasing it.

After a little wandering, came across this sign and went to look for the bridge. Very disappointing.

But came across this and checked it out...

This was in the middle of no where across the stream from the Quail property...

Finally figured out I was close to Lick Fork Lake. They're doing a ton of logging...

Had to bypass the road blocked by a downed tree and came across this trail...

Wandered some more...anyone recognize these bridges?

Good lunch joint. Came recommended by Canoli and I add a +1 to that. I had a great burger and the guys running it were very friendly.

Not a lot to excitement on the way home, except one thing. I had deliberately not filled up on gas hoping to find out how far the Clark tank would take me. Got the answer to that...exactly 200 miles. And no further. Somehow my tank was already switched to reserve and I died a quick death about 150 yards before reaching the Hardy McManus Road intersection with Furys Ferry. Scared one old lady who didn't have any gas. And there was no one home at another likely house. Fortunately the Shell station at N. Belair was only about a 500 yard push...

All in all a good day. I need a GPS so I can look back at where in the world I've been...

Catalyst screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 02:42 PM