ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #61
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli

Went about 4 miles or so till a huge tree blocked my path so I turned around and went back.
sissy

Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #62
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 577
Yep, another Noob

Hey guys...you don't know how cool it is that y'all just formed this group. I discovered this website this past week after I ended up winning a DR200 on eBay last weekend. I signed up Thursday after I found this thread, but didn't realize I would have to wait for a moderator to ok me.

I headed out Thursday after work for Orlando, arrived just before midnight and pulled into a local Super Walmart to spend the night. Yep, I guess the first thing you get to learn from me is I'm cheap. Slept in the back of my Jeep, woke up, made the transaction and headed home. Pulled in yesterday around 5:00 and have put about 120 miles on it so far driving around looking for a summer mesh jacket, and to follow the occassion powerline trail -- hmm...sand = really bad. I still have my old leather, but it's killing me out there in the heat!

The first thing I've discovered is...I'm about ready to upgrade. Ha...this thing tops out around 70, but I guess I really just got it ride around town and hit the occassional trail so I'll enjoy it for what it is. Whoever was talking about the DZ400...just saw one at the shop in Aiken. Nice!

Anyways, long intro. Sorry!

Canolli...excited to know we're probably around the same speed with our small bikes. From the Lick Fork Lake pictures, it looks like you were on the hiking/mountain bike trail! That's cool with me, but did you pass anyone giving you strange looks?

I've got a kitchen pass from about 1-5 tomorrow if anyone is going riding! I think I'd like to go explore the forest service roads down 28 off Woodlawn near FATS. I'm in National Hills, so it sounds like there are a few of us riders around West Augusta.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #63
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
sissy

yeah I know...next time I'm gunna chain saw that Fker
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #64
buster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst
From the Lick Fork Lake pictures, it looks like you were on the hiking/mountain bike trail! That's cool with me, but did you pass anyone giving you strange looks?

I've got a kitchen pass from about 1-5 tomorrow if anyone is going riding! I think I'd like to go explore the forest service roads down 28 off Woodlawn near FATS. I'm in National Hills, so it sounds like there are a few of us riders around West Augusta.

There are many miles of bicycle trails that (are) would be great fun to ride
but don't get caught!!!! The SC forest rangers DO NOT like motorcycles
on THEIR bicycle trails. DAMHIK

Catalyst let me know where/when I'm up for a afternoon ride.
buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #65
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 979
Man, new people keep popping out of the woodwork. Sweet.
Hi Catalyst. I'm just up in Montclair so we are practicly neighbors. Would love to go on a quick ride tomorrow, but I wont get off work until 4 or so, and racing comes on TV at 5.
Canoli, I was wondering the same as catalyst about your pics, looks like a walking trail and probably not really legal to ride on.
People still up for meeting Tuesday evening? I guess that the Taproom is still the spot, but we could also try an earlier meeting, perhaps at a Waffle House, like Kliff suggested, and those of us who are able (read wife allows it) can ride downtown to the Taproom.
Reminder that I'm off work on Mon and Tues and up for rides. Long or local.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #66
canoli
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee
Man, new people keep popping out of the woodwork. Sweet.
Hi Catalyst. I'm just up in Montclair so we are practicly neighbors. Would love to go on a quick ride tomorrow, but I wont get off work until 4 or so, and racing comes on TV at 5.
Canoli, I was wondering the same as catalyst about your pics, looks like a walking trail and probably not really legal to ride on.
People still up for meeting Tuesday evening? I guess that the Taproom is still the spot, but we could also try an earlier meeting, perhaps at a Waffle House, like Kliff suggested, and those of us who are able (read wife allows it) can ride downtown to the Taproom.
Reminder that I'm off work on Mon and Tues and up for rides. Long or local.
Hay Guys
Catalyst, welcome to the club and congrats on the new bike (from one noob to another). I actually live very close to you and I am free to ride from about 7:30 am till about noon tomorow (sunday) if any of you guys wanna get together.

About that trail, yeah it did look like a walking trail but unlike some of the other trails (bout 50% yes to no) it did not have a no motor veichles sighn on it so I thought I was good to go. I'll prob avoid it from now on and look for other places just to be sure. I did see some logging trucks parked in the trail so I dont think the rangers would have a prob with a small bike that was "treading lightly" but then again... I'll just not do it again.

I think the tap room is a great idea and was thinking we should do it around 6:30 ish?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #67
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer: 1,119
Welcome aboard Catalyst!

Man this is getting sweet, guys showing up all over da place!

NASRA / MAXX Racing
http://nasra.proboards.com/index.cgi
Scooter Rebels
http://scooterrebels.proboards.com/index.cgi
49cc Scoot
http://49ccscoot.com/
Peace, Eagle, as long as it's a BASHAN, it's cool with me!
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #68
buster
Adventurer

Quote:
I am free to ride from about 7:30 am till about noon tomorow (sunday) if any of you guys wanna get together.

yeah, let's ride. where/when?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #69
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,359
Rode up to Social Circle and Rutledge today to get a sammich at The Caboose. It was fun but it was HOT!!!!!! The GS belongs to Grad(Chris), the Tiger is Jrod Golfer(Jarrod), and the V Strom is yours truly. Photos were taken by Jarrod.

Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #70
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 577
Sunday Ride

Thanks for the welcomes!

I can't make the early ride tomorrow, but if anyone's up for riding the gravel roads off Woodlawn (or really anywhere*) I'll be set to go at 2:00. Sounds like the Dairy Queen at Washington Road/Fury's Ferry would be pretty central. I'll be there if anyone's interested in exploring. I'll try to check this thread again before I leave.

*Thinking of anywhere...anyone explored the Burks Mountain Road area before? A gate was open earlier this summer and I rode around a little bit in my Jeep, but Google Map it sometime (It shows up as an Appling road). It's just outside Evans on the way to Pollards Corner. Looks like a whole section of land to explore between Washington Road and the 221. Not sure whether it's private or not, just throwing it out there and seeing if anyone's checked it out and knows some good access points.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #71
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 979
Burks Mountain Rd is a dead end (Or rather that gate is sually closed) but shortly before the gate, there is a powerline. Take a left from the road onto the trail (Right dead ends at a creek shortly). Left has several miles of line, a few side trails (Didnt see any posted signs) and looks like this....

Some of the powerline road is very steep and rocky.
Its been over a year since I was there though, things may have changed.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #72
canoli
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster
yeah, let's ride. where/when?
Dont really have any place in mind but if you know some place cool wanna meet at 0930 downtown?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #73
buster
Adventurer

Quote:
Dont really have any place in mind but if you know some place cool wanna meet at 0930 downtown?

There some FS roads off of HY 23 near Modoc.
I can meet you at the Shell station at the start of River watch at 0930.

Mike
Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #74
canoli
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster
There some FS roads off of HY 23 near Modoc.
I can meet you at the Shell station at the start of River watch at 0930.

Mike
Sounds like a plan. See you there at 0930.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #75
canoli
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000
Rode up to Social Circle and Rutledge today to get a sammich at The Caboose. It was fun but it was HOT!!!!!! The GS belongs to Grad(Chris), the Tiger is Jrod Golfer(Jarrod), and the V Strom is yours truly. Photos were taken by Jarrod.

Looks like you guys had a great time. Was it mostly paved roads?