ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #751
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

Oddometer: 298
Thanks guys for the welcome. Wow I'm the only girl? The story of my life. As Chopped_ Burban said, I'm looking at getting a BMW F650GS. When he comes home we are taking a trip down to ATL.

Klif, I'll ride with you
bonegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #752
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Hey guys, y'all check out the DOG field trip to tellico plains thread and come on up. We closed the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort down in STYLE last year and we intend to do it again. We had about 20 people last year and you will not find better dual sport and street riding. Plus the Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters (owned by Minimike here) is right down the road so save your money and check him out while you're up... his shop really is second to none. Hope to see y'all up... the Ocala Sand Fleas made it up last year!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #753
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Hey guys, y'all check out the DOG field trip to tellico plains thread and come on up. We closed the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort down in STYLE last year and we intend to do it again. We had about 20 people last year and you will not find better dual sport and street riding. Plus the Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters (owned by Minimike here) is right down the road so save your money and check him out while you're up... his shop really is second to none. Hope to see y'all up... the Ocala Sand Fleas made it up last year!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #754
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,187
Hello bonegrl

Howdy there Bonegrl. Welcome to the the list. I see where you are wanting a BMW F650, and you are talking about going to Atlanta, so I am guessing you want to look for a bike in the shops down there. If you want to ride dirt, I would recommend a bike <250cc for your first ride. The F650 is a good all around bike. I ride mine on pavement and dirt but I have been riding forever, so the dirt is easy for me. The bike is a little heavy and expensive for single track/ORV park riding, so I avoid that. The newer 650GSs are twin cylinder and even more expensive than the 2005 I own. I wouldn't call it a best first bike unless you were going to limit yourself to pavement and smooth dirt roads. My wife recently returned to riding after a 20 year layoff . She wanted a bike that she could ride around the neighborhood (Trenton, SC - almost Graniteville ) and take on some of our trips. We bought her a Yamaha TW200. The big wheels on the bike work great in sandy soil and mud. Top speed is about 55 mph, but that is fast enough for her. All the Jap companies make 225-250CC bikes that are street legal and excellent for begineers. I would recommend one of these as a first bike.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #755
airdrew32
Bat Rat

Oddometer: 62
Welcome bonegrl and Chopped_Burban!

One more person here waiting for MM&M to lead another ride!!

Canoli, here a pic of my luggage. Friday it rained all the way to our destination so I waterproofed my duffel bag with a trash bag.

I used one of those cargo nets to hold it down and it worked well.

On the return trip, I moved the bag closer to me and was able to get a little back support by doing that.

From Bike Trip
airdrew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #756
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper

Nah, it'd be spam if I mentioned my sweet 2003 625SXC that's up for sale for $5400. In Flea Market.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #757
wrangler747
KLR for life

Oddometer: 540
Nice to see the new guys Bonegirl and Chopped Burban..we do all kinds of different riding and always like new people.
I am getting ready my self for another M&MM ride..it was really awsome...

I am off to Hotlanta this afternoon with a buddy to pick up a DRZ400 for him..so we should have another guy to the group..but he is brand new to riding so wil have to take it easy with him for a bit..

Kliff I have the # you were asking about and will give you a call..
wrangler747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #758
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847
Howdy there Bonegrl. Welcome to the the list. I see where you are wanting a BMW F650, and you are talking about going to Atlanta, so I am guessing you want to look for a bike in the shops down there. If you want to ride dirt, I would recommend a bike <250cc for your first ride. The F650 is a good all around bike. I ride mine on pavement and dirt but I have been riding forever, so the dirt is easy for me. The bike is a little heavy and expensive for single track/ORV park riding, so I avoid that. The newer 650GSs are twin cylinder and even more expensive than the 2005 I own. I wouldn't call it a best first bike unless you were going to limit yourself to pavement and smooth dirt roads. My wife recently returned to riding after a 20 year layoff . She wanted a bike that she could ride around the neighborhood (Trenton, SC - almost Graniteville ) and take on some of our trips. We bought her a Yamaha TW200. The big wheels on the bike work great in sandy soil and mud. Top speed is about 55 mph, but that is fast enough for her. All the Jap companies make 225-250CC bikes that are street legal and excellent for begineers. I would recommend one of these as a first bike.
Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on taking it on OHV trails....I have my Yamaha Bruin 350 for that I only plan on riding it to work (in Merriwether & Edgefield) and nice smooth forest roads. After I get comfortable riding it, I'll ride to rehearsal also...but I'm going to need a new case for that.
bonegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #759
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegrl
Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on taking it on OHV trails....I have my Yamaha Bruin 350 for that I only plan on riding it to work (in Merriwether & Edgefield) and nice smooth forest roads. After I get comfortable riding it, I'll ride to rehearsal also...but I'm going to need a new case for that.
Howdy Bonegrl, Chopped_Burban, glad to have y'all in the party.

Bonegrl.....seriously, nice smooth forest roads can be deceiving. We hit some Saturday, that looked great, then under the wet grass was MUD...slipperry, slimey, ole grey carolina mud. Wrangler was running a more street oriented tire, like that you'd get on the Beemer, and he had his hands full a few times!
If you have any aspirations for anything but pavement, do something lighter, and cheaper for a first bike. Fall down damage to a Beemer, ain't cheap. Listen to Andy, he's been around the block a few times.
TW200, XT225, DR200, even some of the newer 250's, or an older XR/L 400, DR350.

NASRA / MAXX Racing
http://nasra.proboards.com/index.cgi
Scooter Rebels
http://scooterrebels.proboards.com/index.cgi
49cc Scoot
http://49ccscoot.com/
Peace, Eagle, as long as it's a BASHAN, it's cool with me!
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #760
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler747

I am off to Hotlanta this afternoon with a buddy to pick up a DRZ400 for him..so we should have another guy to the group..but he is brand new to riding so wil have to take it easy with him for a bit..

So, you mean NO ravine and bridge on the first ride, like we did to Phil and Drew?
That makes 4 DR-Z 400's!!! Please tell me this one is Yaller....

Kliff I have the # you were asking about and will give you a call..

GREAT, thanks.

NASRA / MAXX Racing
http://nasra.proboards.com/index.cgi
Scooter Rebels
http://scooterrebels.proboards.com/index.cgi
49cc Scoot
http://49ccscoot.com/
Peace, Eagle, as long as it's a BASHAN, it's cool with me!
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #761
airdrew32
Bat Rat

Oddometer: 62
Anyone free for a ride on Saturday??

I found this on the way home the other day.

Not sure who's land it is although there were alot of signs saying fiber-optic lines were buried. There was also a electrical power substation.

I never saw a no-trespassing sign the whole time and I was riding out there for a couple of hours.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!137&encType=1

airdrew32 screwed with this post 10-23-2008 at 02:13 PM
airdrew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #762
Drinnen
boob

Oddometer: 144
Interesting?

Looks like it was going to be housing or industrial development, kind of see the outlines of cul-de-sacs.

Just for good karma, we should aerate that land to promote good health.

Did you see any obstacles, jumps, interesting terrain features?

I'm game for a ride.

Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing armed thugs, I am inadequate.
Drinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #763
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 980
Wow. I get busy and don't post for a couple of weeks and my name pops up in every other post. If i didn't know better I'd think you guys missed me
I don't know why you think I need an apology for anything Kliff.
I do check the board every couple of days, but like I said, been busy with work, and errands filling my days off, so just not posting too much.
The only riding I've been doing is commuting and a quick trip on the DR just to charge the battery and circulate the oil. I checked out the power lines near the SC welcome center. Not bad, but short. The ones on Burkes Mountain Road near Pollards Corner are similar, but much longer.

It too bad the tire class was canceled. I still need to get my tire fitted. I have maybe one good ride left on my old one. Maybe I could hook up with you Kliff on a weekday and get that sorted.

I have a 10 day vacation coming up starting Nov. 3rd. I just had nre tires put on my Concours and am considering a Blue Ridge trip for a few days.
Although the N.Ga/NC trip is tempting, there is no way I'm riding 2-300 miles on pavement on the DR seat. Have also considered tossing out the Connie trip and trucking the DR to TWO for a few days.
Either way, I will also take another day ride out like last time, if anyone is interested. Just have to get my other plans set before I can give a date.

Hi to the new people. Lets ride soon.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #764
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,629
Thanks for the info on the luggage. Thinking that I will be doing the same type of "system" (garbage & duffle bag). I made a rack out of one of the dogs old kennel door and a ratchet strap. It seems to work ok but I'll give it a run around town before I head out.

I will not be able to make a ride sat but after my race on sunday I should have a bit more slack in the schedual. I def want to get in on the next M&MM ride. If anyone else wants to shoot up to the Dragon the weekend of the 7th just let me know.

BTW welcome back I think Kliff was getting worried. You know how those old folks get.

canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #765
wrangler747
KLR for life

Oddometer: 540
Hey all Sat Morn ride..

Just got back in from Atlanta and after looking at a few used bike places, my buddy decided on a 02 DRZ 400 YELLOW one. The guy took great care of it and it allready had Kenda 270's on it.

Soooooo he is getting the legal paperwork down tomm. and we are planning on going on a ride Sat Morn probably.

He is totally new to riding so I am thinking we might take easy roads and head out to Appling then out to that church(where we stopped with M&MM ride after the Bridge crossing) and back. Should be a lot of long straight dirt roads..Anybody else want to tag along...

He will be on the forums soon and you should post some pics of the bike...
wrangler747 is offline   Reply With Quote