ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #826
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Cool, thanks for the invite, Canoli, but that field trip we'll be up there on the dualsports the very next weekend. You guys have fun. I might be scouting trails then, if I do I'll try to find y'all.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #827
Drinnen
boob

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab
Just a note...

the XR 650 "R" is at home in the open area like on the
West Coast. They are not good at being a East Coast woods bike.

Then there is always the huge proublem of getting a off road bike tagged if that was your plan.

I am aware of the handling characteristics of the 650L, not a good technical bike but it would not have a problem hanging on the trails weíre riding. I used to discount the BRP as just that myself a ďLeft CoastĒ, but itís a niche thing. I would keep the DRZ for the tight stuff.

As for tagging, I am seeing a good number of Rís already tagged, and I have called the DMV/taggers it doesnít sound to bad. (After the DRZ I swore to myself next off-roader= tagged dirt)

Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

I donít carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing armed thugs, I am inadequate.
Drinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #828
Drinnen
boob

Check this out!!!

http://www.instamapper.com/
InstaMapper is a free service that allows you to track a person or vehicle online in real time using a GPS-enabled cell phone.

Watch me live, you can see real time where I am, and at the end of the day I can go back and create maps of where I’ve been. On Google Maps!!!

Rescue me.
The site didn’t mention this, but think about it----- so your out for a ride having a good time when BLAM-PLOP you an your bike goes swimming….hummmm
The bike doesn’t start. on the phone----HEY Canoli----you got a truck??? Bla bla blab blab…I’m a dumb ass….bla bla ….So where are ya? Let me send you the link….

So if you want to track me today, send me a E-Mail (I cant reply to PM on my phone) and I will send you a link to see me in real time on a google map with a track log. I will be playing with the data thru the afternoon so thing might look funky now and then.

It won’t be hard to build maps of riding areas, and to annotate any warnings / obsticals.

No I don’t want to post the link in the open.

Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

I donít carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing armed thugs, I am inadequate.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #829
phil3765
Cobra Fish

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegrl
One more time guys, where exactly did you all go? Just wondering, especially now that you are meeting up at Sportman's Corner.
Down Woodlawn road to the some forest service roads. From there, we rode any trails that we found branching off. That is the goal for today....
phil3765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #830
Drinnen
boob

Ok,
Let’s test this thing.

Two maps of the same rout.
1.plane data
2.jitter removed
Trying to see how much we can play with this.

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Drinnen screwed with this post 10-28-2008 at 10:41 AM
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #831
Drinnen
boob

As you can see the Jitter removed (map2) cleans up the stationary points= cleaner appearance for rout.

With jitter on, it is easy to see where the most time was spent. This could be valuable info for the trails identifying stop points.

Note: when off the blacktop, I will set the map at default to satellite image.

What do you guys think????
Can / should we start making trail maps.

I can think of a number of pros vs. cons, but as long as this stays internal I think this will be cool.

You can also access the data from the site.

Map with jitter: http://www.instamapper.com/trk?key=5800481823610417073
Map w/o jitter:http://www.instamapper.com/trk?key=4749441868899564961

Drinnen screwed with this post 10-28-2008 at 01:44 PM
Old 10-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #832
Drinnen
boob

http://www.instamapper.com/ext?key=13652199333867750689
http://mobile.instamapper.com/ext?key=13652199333867750689 (mobile version)

live tracking

Old 10-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #833
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinnen
As you can see the Jitter removed (map2) cleans up the stationary points= cleaner appearance for rout.

With jitter on, it is easy to see where the most time was spent. This could be valuable info for the trails identifying stop points.

Note: when off the blacktop, I will set the map at default to satellite image.

What do you guys think????
Can / should we start making trail maps.

I can think of a number of pros vs. cons, but as long as this stays internal I think this will be cool.

You can also access the data from the site.

Map with jitter: http://www.instamapper.com/trk?key=5800481823610417073
Map w/o jitter:http://www.instamapper.com/trk?key=4749441868899564961

I think some trail maps would be cool. I just hate to see them posted, for everyone to see, some guys like Jon L. Awe don't always play nice when they have too much info. But I could set up an A.A.R.S.E. section on my homepage, that would allow only us'ns in, and no one but us'ns the ability to read. Then you could excange trail details, phone #'s, or anything with the group, you wouldn't necessarily want on an open Net thread.

Y'all just lemme know what you want, and if'n I can get it done, I will.

NASRA / MAXX Racing
http://nasra.proboards.com/index.cgi
Scooter Rebels
http://scooterrebels.proboards.com/index.cgi
49cc Scoot
http://49ccscoot.com/
Peace, Eagle, as long as it's a BASHAN, it's cool with me!
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #834
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

Oddometer: 298
Ok, so you were on the roads I normally park the ambulance when we are on stand by for McCormick County. Very cool.

I like the idea of the trail maps, but I understand about keeping them private. Maybe make an email list if the website "members only" doesn't work.
bonegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #835
Drinnen
boob

I was thinking of google earth. I can export the data in a KML file. Then if kllif can host google earth on his site (with password protection) that would give us the consolidated maps.

Hey look what I found!
It’s a track log of a wild deer running around…..Can you believe this???? Look at the speed this deer can cover ground!!!Unbelieveable!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #836
phil3765
Cobra Fish

Oddometer: 24
Looking at your times

I noticed you left your house at 5:40 and got there by 6:00. I was wondering how you managed that, then I noticed you were riding around 80-87 mph on Martin Town road, which happens to be 50!!!!

That is funny because I was talking about speeding when we were going 60-65 in a 45 later that night.
phil3765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #837
Drinnen
boob

That deer is soooooo busted

Old 10-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #838
gp999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3765
Drew and I will be heading out to those service roads again this Tuesday. Looking for some new trails and riding on the ones you guys found. We will be heading out at 5:30-5:40 from the North Augusta area.

Anyone interested in riding with us?

dang it... wish I read this earlier. Will try and hook up next time. Your all my kind of riders. Just go....
GP
gp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #839
gp999
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinnen
Check this out!!!

http://www.instamapper.com/
InstaMapper is a free service that allows you to track a person or vehicle online in real time using a GPS-enabled cell phone.

Watch me live, you can see real time where I am, and at the end of the day I can go back and create maps of where Iíve been. On Google Maps!!!

Rescue me.
The site didnít mention this, but think about it----- so your out for a ride having a good time when BLAM-PLOP you an your bike goes swimmingÖ.hummmm
The bike doesnít start. on the phone----HEY Canoli----you got a truck??? Bla bla blab blabÖIím a dumb assÖ.bla bla Ö.So where are ya? Let me send you the linkÖ.

So if you want to track me today, send me a E-Mail (I cant reply to PM on my phone) and I will send you a link to see me in real time on a google map with a track log. I will be playing with the data thru the afternoon so thing might look funky now and then.

It wonít be hard to build maps of riding areas, and to annotate any warnings / obsticals.

No I donít want to post the link in the open.
Drenen, your a crazy ridin Fool, I like that...
can you send me a link, I think thats an awesome feature and service to provide those in the group.
gpatton_9@comcast.net
thanks
gp
Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #840
gp999
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff
I think some trail maps would be cool. I just hate to see them posted, for everyone to see, some guys like Jon L. Awe don't always play nice when they have too much info. But I could set up an A.A.R.S.E. section on my homepage, that would allow only us'ns in, and no one but us'ns the ability to read. Then you could excange trail details, phone #'s, or anything with the group, you wouldn't necessarily want on an open Net thread.

Y'all just lemme know what you want, and if'n I can get it done, I will.
thats a great idea, make it public to the group only... with logins
thanks