ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #91
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 974
I now know of 2 gas stations that sell ethanol free gas.
The first I already mentioned is about 1 mile south of exit 5 of I 20 in SC on the corner of Ascauga Lake Rd.
The second is also on Ascauga Lake Road, about 5 miles further down, at the intersection with Bettis Academy Rd. This is south from Exit 11 about 2 miles.
Also, the gas here was $3.59 today!
My SV is running fine again with the cornless gas.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #92
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 575
Funny, I couln't make the Sweetwater Tap Room last night, but I had the Suzuki parked on Warren Road at a buddy's house.

Any reports on the Tap Room?

How'd the Sunday morning ride go?

I went exploring the forest service roads off Woodlawn...gravel was not fun, but there were a few off-shoots that were more like dirt logging roads that went down to Stevens Creek then climbed back up to the road. Looked like you could explore back there a while. And there was one short, but fun leg that took me out to the intersection of Woodlawn & 28 that was dirt/pinestraw with some fun little sections of it. But it was probably only about a mile long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee
Hi R. Welcome.
I'm right across the bridge from you, Warren Road.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #93
TSPKTM
Ride 'em Cowboy

Oddometer: 34
Small turnout at the Taproom. 3 AARSEs - Monkeyboy, Canoli and TSPKTM.
It didn't take long for Canoli and Monkeyboy to find out that there was no food at the Taproom, so we quickly moved nextdoor to Nacho Mamas. We mostly discussed our common interest in all things two wheeled. After eating, we moved to the sidewalk and continued "mototalk" while standing around our bikes.
We did not make specific plans, but we all agreed that we should get together for a group ride soon.
TSPKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #94
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 575
Group Ride

How 'bout Saturday, August 16th in the AM? Does that date work for people?

I'm up for going anywhere...how are the trails at Parsons Mountain or Cedar Springs? It looks like they're only about 10 miles each... I'm up for other suggestions. I haven't really been anywhere yet. A longer ride is cool too, just trying to be back to the lake by 6:00. The Augusta Canoe & Kayak Club is having a cookout/twilight paddle if anyone out there is into other outdoor fun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPKTM
It didn't take long for Canoli and Monkeyboy to find out that there was no food at the Taproom, so we quickly moved nextdoor to Nacho Mamas. We mostly discussed our common interest in all things two wheeled. After eating, we moved to the sidewalk and continued "mototalk" while standing around our bikes.
We did not make specific plans, but we all agreed that we should get together for a group ride soon.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #95
r acree
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff
welcome aboard r acree.......hmmmmmm, Acree.... I went to school with a guy named Acree, Max Acree, back in the late 60's early '70's,, Tubman Jr High, and ARC, any relation? Haven't seen Max since about '71....

Anyway, WELCOME !
As uncommon as the name is, there is a chance we are distantly related. I'm not from Augusta though. My wife grew up on Skinner Mill and we are in the family house just down from Scotts Way.

I haven't ridden as much as I would like the last few years, but it's time to break out. I have a Bandit 12 that needs carb work, a YZF600 for track days and a KTM LC4 for the backroads. In fact, the reason the B12 has been sitting is that the KTM is too much fun in the mountain twisties. Too painful to ride up there, but a blast when there.
r acree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #96
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by r acree
As uncommon as the name is, there is a chance we are distantly related. I'm not from Augusta though. My wife grew up on Skinner Mill and we are in the family house just down from Scotts Way.

I haven't ridden as much as I would like the last few years, but it's time to break out. I have a Bandit 12 that needs carb work, a YZF600 for track days and a KTM LC4 for the backroads. In fact, the reason the B12 has been sitting is that the KTM is too much fun in the mountain twisties. Too painful to ride up there, but a blast when there.
Never know, had to ask. Max and I were real good freinds, then he went to college, I went to work....

Back to bidness,,, glad you got directed our way, and as soon as everyone gets things put together, I'm sure that LC4 will see a bunch of riding time. Unfortunately, my time is at a premium for the next few months, helping the wife deal with Chemo,and up-coming surgery, so I'm just sorta a "pot stirrer" rat now. But I'll be out there with y'all sometime soon, and hopefully, regularly after October. So don't give up on me, when I don't always show at the meetings, or make some of the rides.....most of the rides. I WILL be there.

NASRA / MAXX Racing
http://nasra.proboards.com/index.cgi
Scooter Rebels
http://scooterrebels.proboards.com/index.cgi
49cc Scoot
http://49ccscoot.com/
Peace, Eagle, as long as it's a BASHAN, it's cool with me!
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #97
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,255
Heading to Suches in the morning. Any body want to join me?
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #98
r acree
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Sounds like fun, but work is on the schdule. Besides, I'm sure you guys would rather get to know my skills before heading to the highlands. I've had too many of my own rides cut short from folks that didn't know their own limitations. I'm competent on asphalt not so much so off road.
r acree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #99
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPKTM
Yeah I thought that the place served burgers... man I was pissed. TSPKTM left out some good parts:

1) Me and my monkee has this map that marks a ton of off road trails in the area. I had no idea that this area had so many cool places to ride.

2) TSPKTM is running an enduro event in the near future and he also knows about a ton of trials that are different then the ones on the "magic map".

3) Both of those guys had SWEET lookin bikes.

As far as the Sunday ride went, Buster and I checked out some fire roads he knew and then we headed down the fire roads of Sumpter NF(yes the kind we are allowed to ride on). We did about 80 miles before it got too hot to be enjoyable.

I say for the next "meeting" we do it at the SNO-CAP or hit HOOTERS right after we go muddin

It was cool to meet and ride with you guys. I cant make the 16th ride but I'll be around most other weekends.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #100
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

OK....Monkeeeman! Majic map! Give dude...details, where can we gets some of those.....hmmmmmmmmmm!

NASRA / MAXX Racing
Scooter Rebels
49cc Scoot
Old 08-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #101
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 974
Majic maps huh. Ancient chinese secret
The maps of which Canoli speaks are the result of photocopying pages of my Georgia Delorme Gazetteer and many hours out riding. I mark all dirt roads with a red pencil, and asphalt in blue. The roads are all within 10 miles or so both north and south of I-20 between here and Union Point (Town Creek OHV).
Once past Thomson the maps are very red indeed.
I plan to buy a SC gazetteer and do the same for the area between here and Parsons Mountain/Cedar Spings (Thats the name we couldn't remember last night TSPKTM).
I will happily share...with anyone who comes to ride the roads with me
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #102
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,490

All hail M&MM and his awesome cartography skills.

Whoo hoo I actually used an SAT word !!!
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #103
TSPKTM
Ride 'em Cowboy

Oddometer: 34
The event that Canoli is talking about is the Long Cane Enduro on September 7. I am a member of the Long Cane Enduro Assn. We promote two events annually. The enduro has been run every year for over 30 years. We run approximately 50 miles of woods trails in the Sumpter National Forrest in the Abbeville SC area. I am responsible for a 12 mile section of the trail. Maybe some of you "AARSES" could help me knock the pine straw off prior to the event or even better, work a check on the day of the event.
TSPKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #104
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

OH MAN! I'd love to help, but can't make this one.

When is the other enduro?

NASRA / MAXX Racing
Scooter Rebels
49cc Scoot
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #105
kliff OP
Retired Ole Phart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee
Majic maps huh. Ancient chinese secret

I will happily share...with anyone who comes to ride the roads with me
Bet on it!

NASRA / MAXX Racing
Scooter Rebels
49cc Scoot