Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #16
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
Call it what you want, but it wasn't ugly.
But I want to call it ugly....

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #17
R1200JimC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My first bike was a 1200c, and I still think its an incredibly beautiful piece of mechanical design. Of course the Harley guys hate it because it doesn't look like a proper Harley, and the BMW guys hate it because it doesn't look appropriately teutonic, but I love it.

Its not a speed machine at all, but the torque is great, and its a comfortable, easy bike to manage.

I still have mine, and if you like what it is, its also a great bargain these days.
R1200JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
When BMW made this bike it was a great seller in the U.S., second only to the GS models (at least for the first few years). It was actually quite a nice bike to ride for a cruiser (I'm not a cruiser guy) and the guys who own them seem to really love them. It seems to me that BMW never really made much of an effort to develop the bike as it aged, and it was always a little underpowered IMO. So why do you think BMW basically gave up on the cruiser market? It's the biggest segment in the U.S., and a relatively small company like BMW Motorcycles only needs to steal a small percentage of the overall pie to move a lot of their bikes.

I think an updated cruiser with the hexhead GS motor would make a lot of sense for BMW.
It would be very interesting to find out what caused that upward blip in sales for this machine. I'm sure the Bond movie had an effect.
The reasons for not building a replacement for this machine, obviously BMW has done research, and realize that it would not sell. Clearly, this is one of the most polarizing bikes ever made visually, a few "get it", but the vast majority "don't get it".
I personally find it one of the ugliest machines ever made by any motorcycle company, almost comical. But there are machines today, right now, that are just as stupid looking, and there are people on this thread who continue buying these silly looking contraptions, so hey, for those hoping for a replacement of this machine, your wishes may come true. People will buy the stupidest looking things, and spend dumb amounts of money, just because of a brand name!
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #19
Roketman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I really see nothing ugly at all about my bike. Nobody twisted my arm to buy it. Its comfortable, enjoyable, has plenty enough power for me, allows me to cruise in style, rather than on a cookie-cutter-looks-like-everyone-else's-type bike, and is a great conversation piece for meeting new friends from all walks of life.

Roketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #20
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,499
Quote:
I did place it in a context, best-selling BMW in the U.S. market, which incidently is the biggest market in the world for virtually every car/motorcycle/luxury good manufacturer. If I'm off base then maybe someone can explain the marketing brilliance of abandoning the biggest motorcycle segment in the world's biggest market! In fact, BMW's biggest bump in sales in North America came with the introduction of bikes in two huge market segments that they had previously ignored, the cruiser and luxury tourer (R1200C and K1200LT). A few thousand sales a year, by your figures, would be nearly a third of their North American sales, enough to easily put it in the top few models in popularity.
Sorry Joseph, this is the reality:

Quote:

The markets in Western Europe accounted for the lion’s share of the impressive sales results. In Germany, a total of 23,617 units had been supplied as of December, making BMW Motorrad the market leader in its home territory.
The second strongest market for the company was Italy with 13,651 units, followed by the US (12,825 units) and Spain (10,002 units).
Not much different today!

While some may hate the R1200 series, I liked them OK. Not my kind of bike, but they had a unique look that apealed to me!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #21
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I like the styling. Not the most beautiful bike ever, but not ugly. It looks like what I would imagine a BMW cruiser would look like.

When I was shopping for my current bike, I was surprised to find BMW didn't make a cruiser any more.
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #22
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,664
It would have been better with some horsepower. My R100 is rated the same as the C was, I think. I couldn't figure out why they didn't just put the standard R259 powerplant in it.

They're kind of interesting, especially the Phoenix variant, but I think most folks could picture a half dozen other bikes that would wind up in their garage first.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #23
deilenberger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
When BMW made this bike it was a great seller in the U.S., second only to the GS models (at least for the first few years).
I've heard this before - and have never seen numbers that verify it. Based on our local club - there were WAY more RT's in the club than C's.. and I saw way more RT's than C's on the road. If they did outsell the RT's, the people who bought them must have kept them in the garage, not on the road.
http://www.eilenberger.net/
deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
I just parted out a 99 I got for free and it's a cult bike I have found. I find it ugly as sin and mine was wrecked HARD and looked better than a road worthy unit
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #25
R1200JimC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
You guys say mean things. I'm going to go cry and find some stupid things to do.
R1200JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1200JimC
You guys say mean things. I'm going to go cry and find some stupid things to do.
Go buy a KLR.
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #27
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,677
Small world.

I know the guy who owns this bike, (we see each other at the local BMW club meetings) and it is more beautiful in person than the pictures show. If you look close you can see all the work he did to it....engine guards, halogens, etc.

I think his name was Rob.

/wave from big Dave

Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #28
Roketman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. That's why some folks love the Victory lines; some people love the Edsel (and some don't); and some just like a naked rocket with a massive engine just welded to a frame. To each his own. So long as you're on two wheels, you're OK with me, and you can ride with me and my "C" anytime.
Roketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #29
Scalzitti
Adventure Driven

Oddometer: 442
Rocketman, I have an black 2001 R1200C Montana. I just turned 64,000 miles on it and every one of those miles put a smile on my face.

It's a terrific bike with great styling - probably the best all around bike I've ever ridden. The C is the bike I choose to ride with my Harley friends. It was the bike I did my first SS1000 on and it was the bike that took me to Alsaska for the first time. I plan on riding her to the grave. Larry
Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #30
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 888
My R1200C was the first motorcycle I ever owned. I still have it today. The reason I went with the R12C is because I didn't want a Harley or a Harley clone. Only one choice left.

Since I started riding, I've also purchased a R1150RT and am waiting to take delivery of an F800GS.

It was the styling that won me over. The R12C is my favorite even if it's not the most comfortable, largest, or appreciated motorcycle out there.

One thing's almost certain, as time passes, it will be a collectible.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote