Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #61
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
Old enough?
Any one of these bikes will put you on your ass.
Not every K is the baraclounger 2000s model.
Perhaps not barcaloungers per se, but an inline four (or back in the day, three) is sorely lacking in character when compared to a boxer. If I wanted to ride a sewing machine I'd just get a G*d forsaken car and be done with it.
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #62
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Could not agree more, the fours are fine bikes but do lack something, the twins feel a lot better to ride,even alledged ugly ones like the r1200c. Having said that if i wanted to cover big distance at great speed then one of the new fours would be a good bike to have.
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #63
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Yep. I'm sure the K s are fine bikes. I came close to getting one back when I was looking to get back into motorcycling back in 2004. I guess I'm in the minority - I think the C is beautiful mostly, but the one thing I can not abide are the ape hangers - even if they are somewhat subdued.

Hey, I just saw a C on Craigslist in Wisconsin. $6900 for a 2000 w/ABS and only 3k miles.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/777197261.html
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #64
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoms
Yep. I'm sure the K s are fine bikes. I came close to getting one back when I was looking to get back into motorcycling back in 2004. I guess I'm in the minority - I think the C is beautiful mostly, but the one thing I can not abide are the ape hangers - even if they are somewhat subdued.

Hey, I just saw a C on Craigslist in Wisconsin. $6900 for a 2000 w/ABS and only 3k miles.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/777197261.html
And I'm thinking the numbers behind this advert pretty well answer the question why BMW stopped making this machine, they are not appealing to the greater mass of motorcycles.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #65
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

The R1200c is an under rated bike, i love mine,i use it as much as i can, it is different with looks that cannot be ignored, a cruiser that is a useable bike.I feel BMW could have done more with it, a shame they did not, but they got a lot of attention when first sold and are still different to any other cruiser even today. Bikes of any kind that break the mould should be welcomed, its all more choice for us.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #66
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,578
It's simple. Cruiser riders want a Harley or Harley clone. (Except a few, sorry Valkyrie and Rocket owners) BMW riders want an Adventure or Sport tourer. (The LT did take sales away from the Gold Wing, but not a huge percentage) Once, the BMW crowd started looking down on the C or CL most BMW riders wouldn't ride one. I think if the C looked just a little more standard, like a Harley XL1200R does, it would have had greater appeal.

P.S. I still think they are great bikes, 1200cc & 68 hp is enough for the purpose.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #67
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
It's simple. Cruiser riders want a Harley or Harley clone. (Except a few, sorry Valkyrie and Rocket owners) BMW riders want an Adventure or Sport tourer. I think if the C looked just a little more standard, like a Harley XL1200R does, it would have had greater appeal.

P.S. I still think they are great bikes, 1200cc & 68 hp is enough for the purpose.
Interesting perception...maybe true, unfortunately it goes against everything that attracted me to the motorcycle; reliability and looks nothing like a Harley (a style of its own).

The cruiser single handedly brought me into the motorcycling world. Since purchasing the R1200C, I've ridden so many other motorcycles, but I'm still drawn to the cruiser. In fact, My quest to become a better rider has driven me to become a MSF RiderCoach. I guess You can probably chalk that up to first bike syndrome.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #68
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,599
"BMW R1200C, Why wasn't it replaced?"

Come on. I mean, is that even an honest question?

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #69
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
Whoever mentioned them being great sellers has overlooked the fact that just last year there were still brand new 2005 model year 1200C's in dealer's inventory.
I thought I remembered that too, and IIRC the ones that were left were heavily discounted and still collecting dust. Maybe it was a reigonal thing, but they sure did not seem to be selling around here. Love 'em or hate 'em, if you want to hit against Harley in the high dollar cruiser market, you better be swinging a pretty big bat.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but the "c" bikes were pretty damn goofy looking to this beholder. Though what the hell do I know, I bought a V-Strom

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #70
GWHayduke
SW Neanderthal

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
It's simple. Cruiser riders want a Harley or Harley clone. (Except a few, sorry Valkyrie and Rocket owners)
The thing I like best about cycles is the interesting mechanics...3 cylinders on their side, longitudinal V-twins, transverse V-twins, flat twins, V-4's, straight 4's, air-cooled, water-cooled, oil cooled, etc. There's more interesting mechanical designs in cycles than in most cars since the 1960's.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #71
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
I bought mine for a number of reasons. Its not a Harley. Its not a Harley want-to-be (and I dont need to dress up with buttless fag pants). Comfort. And its a Beemer.

Where ever I go I draw a crowd. Europeans come running cuz its a beemer and Americans say "Whazthat?" I have even had a clueless dudes come up and say "I didnt know BMW made motorcycles."

On topic--Why did beemer leave the US cruiser market? Why wont Honda or Yamaha enter the US adventure market?
Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #72
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
When I first heard BMW might be bring out a cruiser, I envisioned a modernized /2. Boy- was I ever disappointed.

I think if they bring back anything, it should be a simple, straighforward, classic AND classy-looking standard that you don't need a ladder to sit on.
Maybe in the 750-850 size. And with a simple seat. The ergos of 70's and 80's Beemers were the best of any bike ever.

Now, they're too tall, too ugly, and too complicated, IMO.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #73
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
When I first heard BMW might be bring out a cruiser, I envisioned a modernized /2. Boy- was I ever disappointed.

I think if they bring back anything, it should be a simple, straighforward, classic AND classy-looking standard that you don't need a ladder to sit on.
Maybe in the 750-850 size. And with a simple seat. The ergos of 70's and 80's Beemers were the best of any bike ever.

Now, they're too tall, too ugly, and too complicated, IMO.
Coming from a guy who owns 2 Beemers, even I have to agree that modern BMW's have become TOO Teutonic, if that's possible.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #74
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrdad
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will miss my beauty.

I know exactly where those were taken!
I can't say anything about you selling it- I've sure pulled some major boners like that myself.
PM sent -
Old 08-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #75
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

If bmw decide to make a new cruiser i for one hope its as original as the first, and of coarse nothing like a harley!